• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chapter 5 Update

Wyvern

Explorer
I've just uploaded the latest version of "Chapter 5: Setting Design" to my webspace. You can find it at http://www.msu.edu/~reesmatt/Cosmo2.rtf. My next project is revising the character creation rules.

Something I forgot to respond to previously was your comment about guided weapons:

I dunno, I'd like the system to be some what dependant on players too. keep in mind that system is supposed to be 2 stage. lock-on, then fire.
I'm a bit confused by this. When you say 2-stage, do you mean two different rolls? Because as I understood it, the plan was to combine the lock-on and fire into a single roll, followed by a Reflex save for half damage. In any case, while I understand your desire for the PCs to have some influence on the attack roll, I just don't think it's realistic. When an F-16 pilot fires a heat-seeking missile, or a submariner fires a torpedo, they don't have to line up the target in their sights first (i.e. make a Spot check). If they did, it wouldn't be a *guided* weapon. Now, if you can provide a counter-example I'll be happy to reconsider, but at the moment I just don't see it.

I also have a question about the hard turn rules. As written, you only risk losing control if you fail to beat a DC of 1. It occurred to me the other day that this will *never* happen to anybody who has even a single rank of the Pilot skill and a non-negative stat modifier (barring non-proficiency or circumstance penalties). Now if this is what you intended, that's well and good, but otherwise you might want to change it (although I can't think of anything better to change it to).

Wyvern

Last edited:

BlackJaw

First Post
2 stage. two rolls. target attack roll, then a reflex save for half damage. so its still a two stage action.

we also need to do some more work on stunts and when does a craft lose contorl. Also, I've been looking at the chase system from Spycraft, and if we do something even half as similar, that will need to rework stunts a bit. (to describe which ones work in chases, and what effect they have)

BlackJaw

First Post
I'm reading your new version of chapter 5.

Right off the bat I'm a little woried about water medium rules. I think that's a bit more then we want to bite off. surface vehicles vs underwater. deapths of vehicles, weapons working underwater, etc. naval battles and submarines are a bit (not a lot) but a bit off our target here. Its kind of like when Barsoom wanted to open the scope of our system to all vehicles. Sure our system could be rigged to do it, and I'm all for it as a "next project" but its just makes this firt one bigger and longer, and more to think about. I'm already having a hard time definidng things for vacuume vs atmopshere in vehicle construction. I'd hate to have to define water, vs surface, vs air, vs vacuume.)

I think we may want to cut that from the book for now.

Fields of Technology might be a bit more then we want work with through the "bare bones" tech rules for this project. It looks like you were going for a "schools of magic" compariosn to science, which is a great way of doing tech for a D&D setting (very very cool) but maybe to much of a whole new concept for this project. I'm thinking about how to work this into the vehicle to design... hmm more thought needed I think.

Magic Potential is a bit confusing at some spots.
"You can take 10 on this check by taking more time to cast the spell, just as a sorcerer or bard does when using metamagic feats." This, to me, at first sounded like a skill check was made when sorcerers use metamagic. Because that isn't true it confused me fora moment till I re-read it and figured you mean the time extention for the spell increases in the same way as a sorc/bard with metamagic. then it brought up the question of what happens when a sorcerer uses metamagic and takes 10. maybe something like: "You can take 10 on this check, but it takes more time to cast the spell, just as a sorcerer or bard does when using metamagic feats. Spontanous casters using metamagic in a low magic area do not get double time penalties for taking 10. "???

"Furthermore, at progressively lower magic potentials, the effective caster level of spells is decreased: -1 at magic potential 6 or below" What do you mean by effective caster level of spells? As in a 10th level wizard casts a spell, but it functions like a 9th level wizard cast it? OK, so what does this mean: "If this reduces the caster's effective level below the minimum needed to cast a spell, he loses access to that spell slot while in that cosmos." Now it sounds like spellcasters are losing levels not losing power to their spells. Is this if a spell is reduced bellow caster level 1? that means 0 level casters do nothing. what about those few spells where caster level means nothing? THEN you go and drop "In a cosmos with a rigid magic potential, spells of a level higher than the potential level don't function at all. " on top of all these hardships with magic. I think we need to clean this all up a bit. This is getting extra complicated for something that has to happen each time a spell is cast, or magic item is used, etc. AND what about magic items with constant effects, etc.

Overall I'm not sure I like the idea that all spellcasting in settings less then 9 need a spellcraft check (it makes sense for spells over the cosmos amount, but if you go into a cosmos 8 envrioment, using a level 1 spell shouldn't require a spellcraft check should it? on top of all the other penalites above?)

The same is true in the tech area. you have device checks for things in tech 8 and lower. This gets a little silly to me, as many settings are anti-gun, but don't require special checks for crossbows. Overall I think checks for this above the tech/magic level of the cosmos are needed (if allowed) but for everything at or bellow it.

The anitmagic/anti tech paragraph is a little ODD. it talks about places where tech/magic does not work, then talks about palaces where tech/magic is "possible, but the inhabitants haven't yet discovered the capacity for it" and this gets confusing. all that information should be stripped from that paragraph and go into the descriptions of the tech/magic descriptor areas. (IE: its possible to have tech potential be much higher then the current inhabitants can use should be mentioned in the description of the whole concept, not in the anti-magic section)

IDEA: we should really have Psionics listed seperate, as a side bar. Psionics is not OGC, and the psiHBK does have the "psionics is diffrent" option system. basicaly the side bar would be a little blurb on how it uses aproxamtly the same system as magic, including max level casting,a nd use of PsiCraft skill checks.

Gravity and Environmental Effects sections seem so very very crunchy. I can see what you are trying to do, but it seems very number and calculation oriented... I think barsoomcore could do some good stuff cleaning this all up (the ideas are fine, but the presentation I think is the problem) We might want to describe everything in terms of base line humans/etc then include a section at the end on how DMs can declare certian creatures prefered to one enviroment or another. This whole concept is a little odd, also, if you think about creatures native to cold enviroments, like many cold based monsters in the Core rules, etc. what about fire/heat resistence magic etc?

The 0-gravity rules are great. Maybe they could be cleaned a bit in wording, but they are great in mechanics and ideas.

Slow Suffocation should probably be called "low oxygen" enviroments or something to that effect, and you should mention that the rules apply to being in an area where it is possible to breath (yourn't dying from subdual damage) but not as much as needed. eventualy you reach a point of suffocation level (no 02 left) and fall into rules similar to drowning... con checks then specific effects.

Lets also not forget to make a note that not everything breathes and therefore not everything can drown or suffocate... and that subdual damage from strange enviroments doesn't stop just because the creature is immune to suffocation. Example: Air Gensi (not an OGC race I'm affraid) don't breath, but they would still take exposure damage from space. Undead on the other hand, work fine in space/vacuume.

AHHH the 12 questions. These were and are great. The sidebars are great too. The plant bodies refrence is cool. Actually I'd like another "real" example or two in there. Isn't one of Jupiter's moons made of liquid?

we might want to have an apendix to the book with things like your World-Building Bibliography. A further reading list in general is a cool idea, but we might want to put it at the end of hte book, not the chapter (I suspect you intend it that way, but its just at the end of the document as the document is just one file.)

GREAT WORK.

Sidran

First Post
Isn't one of Jupiter's moons made of liquid?

Technically everything, no matter how solid it appears is made out of liquid that includes your Monitor, your desk and your car.

But as for that question no

Their is a theory that Pluto is a liquidy form but no ones ever been their. Europa is perhaps what you are speaking of and it is an Ice moon that may have liquids under the icy surface that may or may not have a form of algae life.

Really where you should take this Idea from is Star Trek Voyager. One of their later episodes deals with a watery planetoid that was formed by stealing the liquid off of another planet (via hefty duty unpronouncible scientific theories) and balling it into a moon sized orb. It isn't science but hey.

One tie in for Wyverns water based rules might be the submerced to space vehicles that were seen in that episode
They were very nifty F18 like vessels just something to think about

Instead of going for the sea battle rules which in truth are starting to become over done Have just rules for Vacume based vehicles with submercible powers.

Again it might not be for this book but it is definintly something to think about for a Setting book later.

Wyvern

Explorer
chapter 5

BlackJaw said:
I'm reading your new version of chapter 5.

Right off the bat I'm a little woried about water medium rules. I think that's a bit more then we want to bite off. surface vehicles vs underwater. deapths of vehicles, weapons working underwater, etc. naval battles and submarines are a bit (not a lot) but a bit off our target here. Its kind of like when Barsoom wanted to open the scope of our system to all vehicles. Sure our system could be rigged to do it, and I'm all for it as a "next project" but its just makes this firt one bigger and longer, and more to think about. I'm already having a hard time definidng things for vacuume vs atmopshere in vehicle construction. I'd hate to have to define water, vs surface, vs air, vs vacuume.)
As for the why: back when this project first got going, the general consensus was that we wanted to create a system that was flexible enough to work in any environment imaginable, and to handle crossovers between environments. The medium rules allow you to create an amphibious spaceship for use on a waterworld, or to take a trip to the elemental plane of water, or even to create a cosmos where "outer space" is filled with liquid ether. By reducing all possible environments into three categories, we can dramatically increase flexibility with only a little added complexity.

As for the how: I purposely designed it so that working different media into the vessel creation rules is as simple as listing what media different components work in. For example, rocket engines will work in air or vacuum, but not in fluid, whereas a propeller-driven vehicle will work in fluid or air, but not vacuum. You only need to worry about external components, of course.

Fields of Technology might be a bit more then we want work with through the "bare bones" tech rules for this project. It looks like you were going for a "schools of magic" compariosn to science, which is a great way of doing tech for a D&D setting (very very cool) but maybe to much of a whole new concept for this project. I'm thinking about how to work this into the vehicle to design... hmm more thought needed I think.
Again, adding this to the vehicle design rules is as simple as defining what field(s) of technology particular components require. So a rocket engine, instead of being listed as "Tech 5", is "Engineering 5,
Chemical 5". The reason for this is to allow the system to be easily used in cosmoses where the dominant culture is especially advanced (or lagging behind) in a particular area of technology. The same applies to magic, so you can reflect the fact that a world which has particularly advanced necromantic magic, for instance, is more likely to develop lifejammers. If you think this is too much work, I'd be quite happy to do it myself once I have a copy of the vessel component list.

Magic Potential is a bit confusing at some spots. "You can take 10 on this check by taking more time to cast the spell, just as a sorcerer or bard does when using metamagic feats." This, to me, at first sounded like a skill check was made when sorcerers use metamagic. Because that isn't true it confused me fora moment till I re-read it and figured you mean the time extention for the spell increases in the same way as a sorc/bard with metamagic. then it brought up the question of what happens when a sorcerer uses metamagic and takes 10. maybe something like: "You can take 10 on this check, but it takes more time to cast the spell, just as a sorcerer or bard does when using metamagic feats. Spontanous casters using metamagic in a low magic area do not get double time penalties for taking 10. "???
Okay, that sounds good. I'll make the change when I do the next revision of the chapter.

"Furthermore, at progressively lower magic potentials, the effective caster level of spells is decreased: -1 at magic potential 6 or below" What do you mean by effective caster level of spells? As in a 10th level wizard casts a spell, but it functions like a 9th level wizard cast it?
Exactly.

OK, so what does this mean: "If this reduces the caster's effective level below the minimum needed to cast a spell, he loses access to that spell slot while in that cosmos." Now it sounds like spellcasters are losing levels not losing power to their spells. Is this if a spell is reduced bellow caster level 1? that means 0 level casters do nothing.
If the magic potential drops the caster level below the minimum required to cast a particular spell, it can't be done. So for instance, in a cosmos with magic potential 5, an 8th-level sorcerer drops to caster level 7 and loses access to his 4th-level spells, since he needs to be level 8 to cast them.

The problem of caster level being reduced to 0 or less is something I hadn't considered. I'll have to work on that.

what about those few spells where caster level means nothing? THEN you go and drop "In a cosmos with a rigid magic potential, spells of a level higher than the potential level don't function at all. " on top of all these hardships with magic. I think we need to clean this all up a bit. This is getting extra complicated for something that has to happen each time a spell is cast, or magic item is used, etc. AND what about magic items with constant effects, etc.
I'm not sure what the problem is here. All magic items are supposed to have a caster level listed, so either they'll work normally, or at reduced effectiveness, or not at all, depending on the item and the ambient magic potential.

Overall I'm not sure I like the idea that all spellcasting in settings less then 9 need a spellcraft check (it makes sense for spells over the cosmos amount, but if you go into a cosmos 8 envrioment, using a level 1 spell shouldn't require a spellcraft check should it? on top of all the other penalites above?)
I admit it's kludgy, but there's a specific reason why I did it that way. The problem with simply saying "in a cosmos with low magic potential, high-level spells don't work but low-level spells work normally" is that it limits high-level magic users but doesn't affect low-level ones at all. This is counter-intuitive; either a low magic potential should affect novice casters *more* than the powerful ones, or it should affect them all equally. If you can think of a mechanic that allows this besides the one I've got, I'll be glad to consider it.

I also wanted to reflect the feeling that magic is more uncertain in a cosmos with a low magic potential. Requiring Spellcraft checks only for spells exceeding the potential level doesn't do that, because the inhabitants of that cosmos wouldn't have developed those spells anyway (since achievement level can't exceed potential level).

Hmm... maybe a partial solution would be to allow achievement levels to exceed potential levels where the potential is flexible, but require Spellcraft/Use Device checks for the higher levels. I'll have to play around with that idea and see what comes of it.

The same is true in the tech area. you have device checks for things in tech 8 and lower. This gets a little silly to me, as many settings are anti-gun, but don't require special checks for crossbows. Overall I think checks for this above the tech/magic level of the cosmos are needed (if allowed) but for everything at or bellow it.
Good point here. I need to think some more about the possible ramifications of doing it that way, but I think I'll probably change it.

The anitmagic/anti tech paragraph is a little ODD. it talks about places where tech/magic does not work, then talks about palaces where tech/magic is "possible, but the inhabitants haven't yet discovered the capacity for it" and this gets confusing. all that information should be stripped from that paragraph and go into the descriptions of the tech/magic descriptor areas. (IE: its possible to have tech potential be much higher then the current inhabitants can use should be mentioned in the description of the whole concept, not in the anti-magic section)
I thought I *did* make it clear in the initial discussion and definition of achievement and potential levels, that the inhabitants of a cosmos don't necessarily reach the maximum potential tech or magic level. I'm not quite sure why you're confused.

IDEA: we should really have Psionics listed seperate, as a side bar. Psionics is not OGC
Yes it is. See http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html

That reminds me of something I was wondering about, though. Is this project going to be under the d20 license or just the OGL? Because if it's the latter, I think we'll need to replace all references to the DMG with references to "core rulebook II" and so on.

Gravity and Environmental Effects sections seem so very very crunchy. I can see what you are trying to do, but it seems very number and calculation oriented... I think barsoomcore could do some good stuff cleaning this all up (the ideas are fine, but the presentation I think is the problem)
If he wants to take a whack at it, that's fine by me.

This whole concept is a little odd, also, if you think about creatures native to cold enviroments, like many cold based monsters in the Core rules, etc. what about fire/heat resistence magic etc?
I don't see what you mean.

Slow Suffocation should probably be called "low oxygen" enviroments or something to that effect, and you should mention that the rules apply to being in an area where it is possible to breath (yourn't dying from subdual damage) but not as much as needed. eventualy you reach a point of suffocation level (no 02 left) and fall into rules similar to drowning... con checks then specific effects.
"Slow Suffocation" is the term used in the DMG, and I think we should stick to that term to avoid confusion and make it easier for people to look up the details, such as how long an air supply lasts. I didn't see a need to copy everything from the DMG (although I might add the bit about the effect of character size on oxygen consumption). Also, I think the rules in the DMG work great, and I don't see any need to change them. Slow suffocation from oxygen depletion (as opposed to drowning or being smothered with a pillow) is, as the term implies, a slow process.

Lets also not forget to make a note that not everything breathes and therefore not everything can drown or suffocate... and that subdual damage from strange enviroments doesn't stop just because the creature is immune to suffocation. Example: Air Gensi (not an OGC race I'm affraid) don't breath, but they would still take exposure damage from space. Undead on the other hand, work fine in space/vacuume.
Since genasi are, AFAIK, the only type of creature that this would apply to, I don't know that it's worth worrying about. Especially since we can't mention them without violating the OGL. I should probably add a rule stating that undead, constructs and elementals are immune to vacuum damage, though.

AHHH the 12 questions. These were and are great. The sidebars are great too. The plant bodies refrence is cool. Actually I'd like another "real" example or two in there. Isn't one of Jupiter's moons made of liquid?
Well, I think Sidran is right about Europa possibly being covered in frozen oceans of some sort (it's hard to be sure when all you have to go on are photos taken from space). I don't think it could be entirely liquid, though -- from what I understand of current theories on how planets are formed, that's just not possible.

we might want to have an apendix to the book with things like your World-Building Bibliography. A further reading list in general is a cool idea, but we might want to put it at the end of hte book, not the chapter.
Fine with me.

GREAT WORK.
Thanks. :)

Wyvern

Wyvern

Explorer
Sidran said:
Technically everything, no matter how solid it appears is made out of liquid that includes your Monitor, your desk and your car.
What on earth are you talking about? That's not true by any definition of liquid that I know of. I suppose if you stretch the definition far enough, what you say could be true, but that would make the distinction between solids and liquids -- indeed, the word "liquid" itself -- meaningless.

Wyvern

Sidran

First Post
Its a matter of physics

Since everything is made of moving atoms that are never at rest we are considered liquids

Over time glass will gather at the bottom of a window paine, anyway it was a physics philosophy.

BlackJaw

First Post
Man I must have been tired when I wrote "Psionics is not OGC" because I could have sworn I wrote "now" instead of "not". I spicificlay remember that... go figure.

BlackJaw

First Post
You convinced me about the "submersion" rules. Ether-space is a cool idea.

"crossovers between environments"... so we should also have atmosphere to vacuume rules? does that work (it isn't exactly a border line between the two... not like water to air is)

---------------------------

Ok, so the magic and tech "sub" catigories lets you set a cosmos alteration much like a Plane has settings spicific to to a type of magic... so one cosmos might only let necromancey work effectively while in another chemical tech is higher then ohters.

cool.

So do we assing a bunch of tech rattings to a vehicle, or are we expected to keep tech rattings for every device/component on a vehicle. I've been making vehicle rules so that you add all the components togeather to get final stats, much like adding gear and levels to a character. If a series of sub-tech and sub-magic levels for a dozen or more items is needed, and skill checks are needed on all of them from time to time, then we got an overly clunky system. I suspect what we need to do here is strip it down. An individual vehicle should have tech rattings for itself, and maybe each weapon gets its own tech/magic ratting.

The vehicle's tech ratting would probalby be from its engines &/or power system.

Now weapons and defensive systems also have their own mini-stats, much like a weapon or sheild in normal D&D have their own AC, hitpoints, and can be attacked seperatly from their owner. We could therefore also give weapons and defensive systems their own tech/magic rattings.

Now this means a vehicle might have 5-6 tech and magic rattings, and each weapon maybe 2 rattings (often a magic and a tech ratting combined)...
Is this TOO clunky? Should we limit everything to a primary tech/magic rattings? IE: ignore the mild electronics ratting and engineering ratting on chemical rockets and just call it "chemical 5?" Thus every vehicle has its highest ratting, and each weapon its ratting. That would have worked fine with tech and magic as generic, but with sub-sets its gets more compicated.

Also, this sub-set system makes you cosmos ratting system more complicated to work with. now we have half a dozen tech and half a dozen magic rattings to compare and use skill checks on.

we might want to just use simple Magic and Tech.

-------------------------------

My problem with your "caster level" system is that
1) not all magic spells have a spicific caster level. some spells have more then one caster level.
2) there are effects in the game that increase the effectivel caster level of a spell, like cleric domains, and this only applys to "caster level dependant" parts of the spell, often the amount of damage dice rolled, or duration. Now when you say the caster level for the spell is lowered, I figured what you ment was you lower this effective caster level. thus the fireball can still be cast, but it does less damage. (your clarification indicated that what you ment is that if your caster level is bellow the required for that spell it can't be cast, not just weakened. I get it now)
Latter you outlaw spells above the magic level, so thus more powerful spells don't work (there just isn't enough magic in the cosmos) and all other spells do less. Thus I asked, if an effective caster level is reduced to 0 or bellow, then the spell doesn't work... if that is the case, then a -1 penalty to caster level means level 1 wizards/etc can't cast anything.
Also there are a few rare spells in the PHB that don't really use the caster level for anything (other then say Save DCs) Generaly they either work, or don't. I think Harm and disintegrate are like that.

This is counter-intuitive; either a low magic potential should affect novice casters *more* than the powerful ones, or it should affect them all equally. If you can think of a mechanic that allows this besides the one I've got, I'll be glad to consider it.
IDEA: What if we increase the casting atribute requirment for spells? normaly you have to have INT 10 + spell level to cast a wizard spell, CHA for bards and sorcs, WIS for most divine casters, etc. We could increase this ratting as magic levels go down, so 10 + spell level + 1 in tech 8 (or what ever). Characters tend to increase their caster dependant trait as they level up, so characters start to lose their higher level spells, but it is still dependant on their own power, not the spell's level. A low level character migh lose his 2nd or 1st levels spells, while a high level character would probably only lose his 9th and 8th level spells.
Especialy powerful characters could still cast normaly in some cosmoses (a simple 1 point increase won't bother an mid level elf with an INT of 20, a powerful mage) but more opressive cosmoses would have to deal with 5 point increases and even the most powerful characters would start to lose spells while weaker characters would be almost helpless. combine that system with the spellcraft check system, and the spell level restrictions in non-flexible cosmoses).

anyway, I'm thinking this whole system either needs a cleaner rewrite or more thought. If I got mixed up, other people would get mixed up too.

----------------------------

My confusion over the Anti-Magic and Anti-Tech chapter is that you placed both the information on anti-magic/tech and the information on civilizations that are just bellow the potential tech ratting in the same place. It was confusing because the two don't seem directly connected. I'd make those two seperate paragraphs:

Antimagic and Antitech
Even in a cosmos with a magic potential of 0, people can still cast 0-level spells, and even in a cosmos with a tech potential of 0, rudimentary tool-making is possible. However, in some cosmoses (or in certain areas within a cosmos), either magic or technology is simply not possible. Such places are called "antimagic" or "antitech" zones. The standard notation used by multiversal travelers to indicate a non-existent potential or achievement level is -1. Antimagic potential is almost aways rigid, whereas antitech potential may be either rigid or flexible. Antimagic zones are fairly common in some multiverses, and null-magic locations even more so.

Null-magic and Null-tech
Places where magic or technology is possible, but the inhabitants haven't yet discovered the capacity for it, are referred to as "null-magic" or "null-tech". Null-tech zones are usually found on worlds where sentient life has only recently appeared.

You may also want to considering changing from "null-tech/magic" to some other term, and null would seem to indicate "magic or tech is nullified" which means the same as anti-magic or anti-tech. No other term jumps to mind off-hand I'm afraid.

-----------------------------

The more I think about gravity the less I like the system of using gravity levels instead of just assigning gravity "rattings" much like wind. (page 87 DMG)
off the top of my head:
"None*, minor, light, standard, strong, severe, Crushing*"
Less math, more modifiers is generaly the way to go.

You can still say that Orcs (say the black hand clan, native to planet with higher gravity) are native to "severe" gravity and use rules for offsetting rules one way or the other. its just feels more d20 to use terms then a numberical/decimal gravity rattings.

just an idea to clean it up.

-----------------------------

Having just re-read the DMG again, I see the DMG mentions using magic to protect againts high heat or cold (endure elements is mentioned etc.) Your rules are, as they say, just a system of offsetting the rules for creatures with difrent native enviroments.

We might be able to get away with have this temperature section smaller. Just the bit about offsetting the base temperature and the table(s)?

----------------------------

Your right about all the suffocation information being in the DMG. I don't know what I was thinking in my past post.

---------------------------

OGC/D20 compliance...
yah we might want to change refrences to "core book" and the like as you mentioned.

Remove ads