• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ZEITGEIST Chapter 6 alternate labyrinth

Frankie1969

Adventurer
The labyrinth map is 50 squares wide, too big for most battle mats, so I made a version with 5' wide hedge walls that fits on a 3' mat.
Then I figured why stop there? So I rearranged it a bit and added a few optional extras.

zg-labyrinth.png
dark green = hedge wall
light green = planter pipe
cyan = water
indigo = water++
peach = pit
yellow = corner

The labyrinth is full of mist, lightly obscured at 15' and heavily obscured at 30'.

Don't destroy the hedge walls.

Roll 1d6 for pit teleport, not 1d8.

Entering a corner teleports you to the opposite corner. You don't realize you've teleported, since the corners look identical.

Planter Pipes: standing cylinders made of very smooth green metal or stone, 8ish' diameter, 20ish' high. If you go over the top, a large carnivorous plant lunges upward, dex save vs damage & grapple. The plants are strong but vulnerable to elemental damage. If you defeat a plant whose pipe is next to a pit, you can descend the pipe to unlock a secret door to the pit.

If a labyrinth bear makes intentional contact with a planter pipe, the pipe becomes incorporeal until the end of the bear's next turn. The bears know this, and routinely walk through them.

Also, the bears walk across the water & pits as if they're solid ground, showing no indication of a trap. If a bear is knocked unconscious, it's teleported out of the labyrinth (optionally, a replacement bear appears in a random corner).

Last, I souped up the bears with elemental powers.
Fire bear: immune to fire, +1d6 fire damage on contact.
Earth bear: resistant to bludgeoning & lightning, +4 Str & Con.
Water bear: resistant to slashing, piercing, acid, cold, necrotic, poison, radiant, & thunder (they can survive in space).
Air bear: Owlbear with bonus action shove.

Last edited:

jjtraw

Explorer
Thank you for this! I was struggling with how to present the original map in a way that would fit for my players, and this will make it easy. Unless the T-rex fight beforehand really depletes my party, I'll probably give them your "souped up" version of the labyrinth as well :) -JJR

Remove ads