• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chapter 6: Character Design

BlackJaw

First Post
Ok, the pilot core class is nice, but maybe we could make it a bit of a better PC class?

Right now its better then a NPC class, but not good enough for most players to take.

My off the wall idea: we increase the attack bonus to Fighter BAB. The character still has a weaker hit point and powers then any fighter/paladin/barbarain/or ranger does, but now he'd be better for playing in general. He still gets some of those nice free feats (not all of which are air only... along with the alertness I'd add skill focus and maybe a few others. Also we might be allowing normal dodge feat in air, so we wouldn't need a special vehicle dodge feat and that's another one that works in normal D&D) so you could make a good character that way for out of flight situations. The class is still best in air, but if you game includes a mix, at least your PC will hold his own anyway.
Now how do I "explain" the concept of the higher BAB for the Pilot? well most of the pilot's powers are based of air combat, and you could extend that to mean that most non-combat/danger realted pilots use the Expert NPC class. This is kind of a figher pilot class (although the character could just as likely use other vehicle types... and I am in no way wanting to change the class's name)... and fighter pilots are kinda agressive combat related characters. Most military trained pilots are also trained in self defense and the like for if they go down in enemy territory etc. As long as they don't get much armor weapon proficenciey, I'd say a Higher BAB might be ok? any thoughts?

Last edited:

BlackJaw

First Post
now for the piloting skill:
Pilot (varies): This skill is used to direct the movements of any vessel that’s not self-controlled. Many vessels require experience and good judgment to pilot more than they do quick reflexes; when flying these vessels you should use Wis as the associated stat for Pilot checks instead of Dex. As a general rule, this is more likely to be the case for larger vessels.
This should probably say something along the lines of "when the vehicle's description indicates" but the point is right.
Whenever size is referred to below, it’s on the vessel size scale and applies to vessels designed for a Medium-sized crew. If the vessel is designed for crew of a different size, the size parameters of the various vessel types should be adjusted accordingly.
What? diffrent crew sizes haven't matter up to this point While generaly a vehicle is built for characters of similar size, there is no reason to mention this here, especialy as difrent sizes won't affect skill checks. Its kind of confusing.
Vehicles are divided into different categories, each of which requires a different simple control proficiency to operate (see the description of the Vehicle Control Proficiency feat for more details). Unusual vehicles may have their own complex or exotic control proficiencies. Exotic vehicles specific to a particular cosmos may not fit into any of the categories below, so feel free to add new types as appropriate.
Doesn't this whole list belong with the Feat? Unless your using one of the optional systems all this content should be listed feats because as I understand it, you take the piloting skill, and have feats to say what you can pilot without the -4 penalty... but you have the same number of skill ranks for all vehicles (kinda like a character having the same BAB for all weapons, but taking a -4 with exotic unless he has profeciencey with it... and prof. is done with feats and class features.)
Airplane: If it flies through the air and it’s not a ballooncraft, rotorcraft or sailcraft, it’s an airplane. This includes jet planes, biplanes, gliders (but not hang-gliders, which require a complex control proficiency) and ornithopters. All of these use Dex for Pilot checks.
The abilty score used should be listed witht he vehicle, but yes most of the above crafts would use Dex... atlhough some with odd flight control systems because of strange wing shapes, etc might use Wis instead... depends on how you build the vehicle.
Ballooncraft: Blimps, dirigibles and other inflatable airships tend to be slow-moving, and use Wis for Pilot checks. Hot air balloons are a special case; because they’re mostly at the mercy of the wind, they’re more difficult to control, requiring a complex control proficiency. They also use Wis for Pilot checks.
Derigible is the propper term. again, we should say the skill ability used with the craft, and put the listing here as "generaly."
Beastcraft: Vessels which are pulled by animals or other creatures require a Handle Animal check to operate instead of a Pilot check, although you may wish to substitute Dex for Cha when attempting certain maneuvers.
wow, does this open a whole new can of worms! vehicles PULLED by animals through the air... its a mythological style I had forgotten about... not sure how this works via our vehicle creation system... I could base it off the monster based power system I guess. ANYWAY: this listing is confusing... are you saying you don't use pilot for these vehicles, that you use Handle animal instead? seems odd to have it as a listing here with other viable pilot skills then. maybe it should be a note at the end; "the following are not usaly vehicle type listings"
Rotorcraft: This includes helicopters and any other type of aircraft capable of hovering, except for ballooncraft and sailcraft. Rotorcraft use Dex for Pilot checks.
Sailcraft: This includes any vessel with sails, whether it travels on the ocean, across the land, or through the sky or the ether of space. Sailcraft use Wis for Pilot checks, though many checks depend on Profession (sailor) instead. For instance, it’s the crew of a sailing ship, not the pilot, who generally control the speed. Sailcraft small enough to be operated by a single person are an exception.
NO no no. While vehicle control of many larger vehicles, including sailed ones, falls to the crew instead of the "pilot" this does not mean that crew makes any checks or decisions for gaming purposes. that just gets to uggly with initative, and large crews, etc. The pilot makes all checks with just one skill for them all or it becomes to compilcated to keep track of what stunts/uses require what skill etc. Besides, you could argue that Piloting a sailcraft is just as much Rope Use as Profession Sailing. Just think of Piloting a Sailcraft having to do with getting the crew to follow your orders/lead. And the system does handle missing/fewer crewmen as a penalty.
Spacecraft: Spaceships of Medium size or smaller use Dex for Pilot checks, while those of Large size or greater use Wis. The two groups use different simple control proficiencies.
again, the rule about large+ using Wis should be in vehicle creation rules.
Submarine: A submarine is any vehicle designed specifically for use in a fluid medium. Submersibles which are Small or smaller generally use Dex for Pilot checks, while those of Medium size or greater use Wis. The two types require separate control proficiencies in most cases.
again, the rule about medium+ using Wis should be in vehicle creation rules.
GMs should decide which classes get Pilot as a class skill depending on how common vehicles are in their campaign settings. This may be different for different locations within the same cosmos or multiverse, due to variation in tech achievement levels.

Sidebar: Alternative Pilot skills
If you don’t intend aerial combat to be a large part of your campaign, or if you just prefer simplicity to realism, you may find it inconvenient to keep track of control proficiencies and their associated penalties and prerequisites. There are several alternatives that can be used to cut down on the bookkeeping, though each of them sacrifices realism and/or flexibility to some extent. These are covered briefly below. This is not an exhaustive list of alternatives, of course, but should give you an idea of the possibilities.
You should take note of the fact that the Pilot class is designed to work with the control proficiency system, and will require minor tweaking if you use one of these options instead.
One Skill, One Vehicle: You could model the Pilot skill in the same pattern as the Ride skill, whereby the player picks a single type of vehicle and suffers a -4 penalty to Pilot checks when operating any other type. The result is not much different from having a single control proficiency, but without having to use up a feat slot. The downside is that it’s a lot less flexible if you want to become skilled with multiple types of vehicles.
One Skill, Many Vehicles: Another alternative is to make Pilot like Perform; for each rank you take in the skill, you add a new type of vehicle to the list you’re proficient with. This is simple and allows you to become skilled with a wide array of vehicle types at very little cost. The disadvantage is that it throws realism out the window.
Multiple Pilot Skills: At the other end of the scale is the Profession model, in which each type of vehicle requires a separate Pilot skill (e.g. Pilot (sailcraft), Pilot (airplane) and so on). If you use this option, it’s probably a good idea to group vehicles into aircraft, spacecraft, seacraft and so on, and grant synergy bonuses among Pilot skills for related vehicles. The chief advantage of this system is that it’s arguably even more realistic than the proficiency system. The disadvantage is that becoming reasonably skilled with more than one type of vehicle requires lots of skill points. Furthermore, since it requires tracking separate skills, it doesn’t really cut down on the bookkeeping.
Stripped-Down Proficiencies: If you like the idea of control proficiencies but don’t like the complexities of the system, it’s easy enough to simplify matters by changing all non-proficiency penalties to a flat -4, and/or by lumping vehicle types together into broader groups such as aircraft, seacraft, etc.. The only real disadvantage to doing this is that you lose some of the diversity entailed in the default system.

BlackJaw

First Post
The other skills. If I don't mention any its because they seemed fine.

CRAFT was fine as listed except I didn't like the "lock" listing... locks arn't a major part of flight equipment and this crossover would seem to cut into the concept of "if I can fix it can I pick it too?" grounds. I don't see it needing to be their essentialy. Also

DEMOLITIONS; yah most setting cover this their own way, but for the purposes of blowing a whole in the hull of a vehicle... nice idea, but as of right now vehicles don't currently have a listing for hull thicknes... I didn't bother because vehicles have their own hitpoints based on hit dice, and hardness by type, not thickness. I'd personaly say that to get a hull breach, the bomb must be set to beat the vehicle's hardness and still do damage greater then the vehicle's armor modifier, and that damage is deducted from the vehicle's tottal normaly.

the JUMP listing is great, but we could probably move the " - by Carl Cramér (http://my.homeip.net/abbe/DnD/skills/jump.html); used with permission" part to the front page with our author listings. Kinda like a listing for Art work/etc. simple layout thing. just don't let us forget to give him credit!

the PROFESSION description is a bit vague... esentialy your saying that (sailor) is the same thing as (crewman) (deck hand) (sky sailor) (astronaut) etc... which is fine. but then you say:
For example, a character trained on seagoing vessels may use Profession (sailor) with a -4 penalty when operating sky-ships, and vice versa. By spending 4 skill points, he may remove this penalty, and thereafter any ranks purchased in either skill apply to both.
I've never seen this kind of "paying off a penaly" before besides the language/writing penalty on barbarian and that was smaller buy off and not quite the same thing as here. on top of that you then say:
On the other hand, some vessels are sufficiently different from one another that the skills are not transferable at all. The aforementioned sailor would be completely helpless when trying to fly a rocket, and an astronaut would probably be equally out of his depth sailing a galleon.
I think we may need a spicific set of skill types here to match vehilce types. Sailing could be fine on both air and water based sailed vessels, but other crafts may need other listings. astronaught works for sapce crafts in general, etc. This completly removes the buying off penalty concept. working with technology above your own level would still have penalties.

I see you based SIGNALING off the Inuendo skills but added a synergy bonus for the recipeint. works fine for me, although it feels a little non-standard.

USE DEVICE is yet another device skill to go with "use magic device" and "use psionic device" (in settings where magic and psionics are seen as different) and therefore fits well with the D&D/d20 system as a whole. Of course technology/devices are nothing like magic or psionics in most cases. again, it feels a little non-standard, but then so does a goblin in a jet fighter armed with psionic missiles.

BlackJaw

First Post
Feats:
overall I notice that the feats arn't using the standard feat description notation/format that the PHB does. I think we should follow that, but then I nit pick don't I?

Battle Assist, Crack Shot, Defensive Shot, Improved Subdual, Pressing Attack, don't seem needed for the project.

I'm not so sure that every kind of vessel weapon needs a seperate feat (Heavy Weapon Prof. feat) but I'm otherwise happy with it.

Nexus is cool, but (nit picking again) I wouldn't want to call "psionics" a type of magic. Psionic fans take this kind of stuff way to seriously to let you get away with it.

Vessel Dodge: if we do end up allowing dodge bonuses on a pilot to affect dodge bonuses of the vehilce (this is still a little hazy really) then vessel dodge is either not needed, or should stack with dodge (allowing a pilot to get a higher dodge bonus)

Does Vessel Specialization stack with Skill Focus (piloting)?

BlackJaw

First Post
damn it, I wrote out a whole thing on spells, and then it all got deleted?! stupid keyboard glitch... ok here we go faster and dirtier:

Change the name and descriptive text of Glasse and Glassteel because 2nd Ed is not OGC at all, and a number of companies are currently licencing it from WotC. Keep them, but alter them.

I don't know why we need Icewalk for this project.

the 2nd level spell Alterself allows for gills and water breathing (among other things) does the cost of Gill compare to the cost of having Alterself being made permanant? Also, the XP cost should come all from teh caster, even if he uses it on another person. spells just work that way in d20/D&D, and its why XP costing spells cost more to have cast for you by NPC spellcasters.

Vacuum Protection is a nice spell, but its a little unclear if the "touching" of an individual automaticaly confers the spell to them. I'm also just guessing that you can share the spell with others after casting, not just durring casting.

BlackJaw

First Post
equipment:

Does the magic version of a personal thruster use up its power as fast a tech one or does it work forever?

otherwise I'm happy with what is there so far.

we still need a parachute, a scuba tank, a deep sea suit, a space suit, a simpler (high tech) easy to ware version of both the deep sea and space suits... etc.

BlackJaw

First Post
PrC:

I hate to tell you this, but I'm kind of know for being a hard-ass about PrCs. I've never been happy with how most people (including the WotC "splat" books) work with them, and a real stickler for theme and style.

I've actualy become a judge for them on Monte Cook's website (there is a semi-formal PrC contest taking place on the messageboard) because of a large post I wrote on the subject.

ANYWAY: I see what your going for with the sky dancer. It has a theme, but no nifty powers that make you sit up and say "wow, that's cool." Mostly its a collection of powers from rogues and monks. If I had nickle for every PrC I've ever read that had Uncanny Dodge. at least it doesn't have evasion to go with it.

As I read it, the class is basicly for deck hands that spend all day in the rigging. Because crewmen don't affect vessels much (beyond needing them their to work the vessel, but not in combat situations) this class's powers focus on dealing with fights IN the rigging... such as boarding or being boarded... more or less Peterpan with no fairy dust. He leaps from pole to ledge to net, swings on ropes and drops from great hights along vairous ropes etc safely. cool.

he looks like a multi-classed rogue/monk class feature wise (with less kung-fu and sneak attacks!). also a lot of his powers are based off being in the rigging of a ship... outside his vessel he's weak.

some changes to make:
Slow Fall should work with any secured rope, such as those comonly found in the rigging of a sailing craft. that way if the character is outside his vessel he can still use a tied off rope and his nifty skills drop much faster then he can climb. (and wihtout it counting againts his movement speed).
Drop Uncanny Dodge... its just to common among PrCs to stand out, and there is no real flavor reasons to have it.
Add more powers and features along the lines of Rope Fighting and Acrobatic Attack. The character should be a terror to fight when he's got ropes & rigging to climb through. Maybe using rigging as a cover for a power? not really sure here but this is where you can get the class it's style and nifty powers. maybe the character wears bit of knotted rope for armor (or natural armor?) maybe combine this with the new jumping rules you found? give him the power to take 10 on jump checks etc in combat. rope use check in combat, without attacks of opertunity (allow the character to tie up characters, like grappling but safer, with hand bits of rope? similar powers for disarming or tripping enemies? these powers work with the rope naturaly there in rigging, and outside of of a vehicle, he can bring his own rope and use it although he'd then have to lug it around, take actions to get it from his sack etc.)
Featherfall isn't that great of a power to get as a level 10 "topper" its a first level spell, so a single level of Sorcerer or wizard will get it for you. The added duration from it being a 10th level power doesn't do taht much to make it seem cool.

Wyvern

Explorer
Chapter 6

Most of your comments don't really require a response. I'll revise the chapter to address your concerns and then repost it to see if you approve of the changes. A few specific comments:

Regarding the idea of a higher BAB for pilots, you've convinced me. I'll make the change.

I'd personaly say that to get a hull breach, the bomb must be set to beat the vehicle's hardness and still do damage greater then the vehicle's armor modifier, and that damage is deducted from the vehicle's tottal normaly.
That's a great idea. I originally wrote the rule to say that you had to do damage equal to the hardness after deducting hardness (in other words, the damage had to be at least twice the hardness), but I changed it because it didn't take the thickness of the hull into account at all. However, I wasn't really happy with hit points either because it made the amount of damage required insanely high in some cases. Armor modifier is a good solution (though I think I'll make it *twice* the armor modifier so it isn't quite so easy).

I see you based SIGNALING off the Inuendo skills but added a synergy bonus for the recipeint. works fine for me, although it feels a little non-standard.
Well, I never liked the fact that only one person's skill level mattered when using Innuendo.

Battle Assist, Crack Shot, Defensive Shot, Improved Subdual, Pressing Attack, don't seem needed for the project.
The reason I included them are because they're useful feats to have for boarding actions (you'll note that they're all in the list of recommended feats for a marine). Remember, we wanted this to be more than just a set of wargaming rules.

I'm not so sure that every kind of vessel weapon needs a seperate feat (Heavy Weapon Prof. feat)
Why not? Every other type of weapon has its own feat (except simple weapons), and a scimitar is more like a longsword than a cannon is like a catapult.

Nexus is cool, but (nit picking again) I wouldn't want to call "psionics" a type of magic.
What would you suggest as an alternative to "magic"? Mystic power? FX?

Change the name and descriptive text of Glasse and Glassteel because 2nd Ed is not OGC at all, and a number of companies are currently licencing it from WotC. Keep them, but alter them.
I'd considered this point, but I'm not sure what to call them. Glassteel could be renamed Steelglass (which is more accurate anyway), but what do you think would be a good name for Glassee? Transparency would work, but it's not very evocative.

the 2nd level spell Alterself allows for gills and water breathing (among other things) does the cost of Gill compare to the cost of having Alterself being made permanant?
I didn't think about alter self when I assigned the XP cost. Water breathing would cost 1500 XP to make permanent, but I figured that the increased casting time, higher spell level and monetary cost would offset the lower XP cost. However, alter self would only cost 1000 XP if the GM allowed it to be made permanent, which would make Gill much less useful. Perhaps I should just drop the XP cost and leave the rest as is.

Vacuum Protection is a nice spell, but its a little unclear if the "touching" of an individual automaticaly confers the spell to them. I'm also just guessing that you can share the spell with others after casting, not just durring casting.
It works exactly like water breathing in terms of the number of targets and duration. The details are described under "Touch Spells and Holding the Charge" on p. 151 of the PHB.

Wyvern

BlackJaw

First Post
Well, I never liked the fact that only one person's skill level mattered when using Innuendo.
Me either, esspecialy with some of the uses for tumble. (DC 15 to avoid attacks of oppertunity regardless of what your walking past of how many levels it has?!) I imagine the writers gave themselves some sort of guidline about skill use. unless you aid an action, or are making an opposed skill check, skills are not effected by other people/characters.

Every other type of weapon has its own feat (except simple weapons), and a scimitar is more like a longsword than a cannon is like a catapult.
A but many classes start with Prof. in some or all the basic weapons. If we require players to take feats for all the weapons they might have, get, or use, then a fighter would need to spend a lot of feats on heavey weapons over his carreer in skies/space. What if we break them down into groups covered by diffrent feats, including some exotic weapons that require a spicfic feat? Direct, Indirect, Guided, Exotic?

What would you suggest as an alternative to "magic"? Mystic power? FX?
You are a focus for a form of mystical power, allowing you to bend the fabric of reality to your will more easily than most. Choose from arcane magic, divine magic, or psionic power. You gain a +4 to Spellcraft (or Psicraft) checks to use spells or powers of a higher level than the local magic potential, provided it’s flexible. This feat can be taken multiple times; each time it’s taken, it applies to a new form of magic or psionics. However, at the GM’s option, you may only be allowed to take this feat at first level.
Psionic fans won't like it if you call psionics a form of magic (even if that's more or less what it is by the rules).

I'd considered this point, but I'm not sure what to call them. Glassteel could be renamed Steelglass (which is more accurate anyway), but what do you think would be a good name for Glassee? Transparency would work, but it's not very evocative.
Steelglass works fine. Glassight works better then transparency.

As far as Gill is concerned, I'd say a 5 level increase (and loss of all other functions) over Alterself is fine. Just remove the XP cost. You might want to note if you intend the spell to allow speach/etc to take place in water (which gills wouldn't really) for spellcasting and other uses.

Remove ads