• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Advancement: PHB vs. DMG

Thattanguy

First Post
I will be attending Origins Gaming Fair in a few weeks and the new Character Creation Guidlines are online at the RPGA site (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/20080609a). The Guidlines refrences the DMG (pg. 143) for creating characters higher than 1st level and there is a table indicating the type and amount of powers you have at each level. That said, I'm personaly having trouble understanding that table for two reasons:

A) The amount of powers present in the DMG don't sinc up with the amount present in the table Character Advancement in the PHB (pg. 29)

B) I'm having trouble understanding the formatting for the amount of powers present in the table in the DMG. I'll explain further in the next paragraph.

In the DMG's table lets look at the Encounter Powers column. The table presents the number of powers with a comma seperating two numbers in the same column. Since Utility Powers are in a seperate column, I can deduce that they aren't seperating Attack/Utility Encounter powers under the same column.

So what are they seperating? Also, can some one explain the discrepancy betweeen numbers of powers?

On a side note, There are catagories for pretty much everything 4E except Powers, though there is a Spells section. Could and Admin add that catagory, it seems to be a popular topic.

Last edited:

TimeOut

First Post
The table in the DMG shows the powers per level.

So the line for level 6 in the DMG should read like this: At 6th level, you have 2 encounter powers; one 3rd level power and one 1st level power. You also have access to 2 daily powers; one 5th level power and one 1st level power. For utility powers you have access to another 2; one 6th level power and one 2nd level power.

This helps you to select the right amount of powers from the right level. The amount of powers should be equal to the table in the PHB.

Boarstorm

First Post
Ok. I'll try.

Let's take an entry from the table in the DMG.

Level 12, say.

Encounter: P, 7, 3, 1
Daily: 9, 5, 1
Utility: P, 10, 6, 2

So, that's four encounter powers (one from your paragon path, one level 7 encounter power, one level 3 encounter power, one level 1 encounter power); three daily powers (level 9, level 5 and level 1); and four utility powers (Paragon, level 10, level 6, level 2).

The PHB table says: 4 encounter, 3 daily, 4 utility. Same thing. The DMG just tells you what level those powers are since you're picking them all at once instead of gaining them incrementally.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Thattanguy

First Post
Thanks guys, that clears it up. They realt should make that clearer on the table or in the directions next to it. either that or its late and i need to lrn2read.

Remove ads