• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Character Background help?

Rumbrave

First Post
Hello all,
I'm starting a new campaign as a player. The campaign is Hoard of the Dragon Queen. (Should be fun!)
The DM has encouraged us to flesh out our back story.
I won't waste your time with a wall of text. So here's the bullet points:
-Mountain dwarf
-Cleric, War Domain
-Noble background

Here's my trouble: I haven't played D&D since high school. I don't remember much about the Forgotten Realms.
What I'm looking for is the following:

-Mountain range(s) currently inhabited by dwarves
-Clan/kingdom names for local dwarves (specific to the mountains they inhabit would be ideal)
-Dwarven royalty/Names of kings who rule said mountain kingdoms
-Any recent wars involving those dwarven clans/kingdoms
OR
-Somewhere I can find this info myself

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

epithet

Explorer
I wish I could help you, but I am really not that familiar with the Forgotten Realms.

Or, I suppose I might have been, but... forgot. (It's late.)

What I would suggest is a google search for "mountain dwarf forgotten realms" and try to find a wiki that talks about what clan digs under which mountain. Good luck!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The Forgotten Realms wiki would have most (if not all) of the information you seek. Google "Forgotten Realms wiki" and it should be the first entry that appears.

As DR neophyte myself... the most known dwarven nobleman to me was Buernor Battlehammrr in Mithril Hall. But that might be too far north for you if you're starting down south for the start of Hoard.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
The mountains closest to the Hoard of the Dragon Queen starting point is the Cloud Peaks south of Greenest on the border to Amn. There isn't much info on any dwarven strongholds in these mountains, so you may have to make up something yourself.

Another possibility is the Sunset Mountains to the east of Greenest.

Shiroiken

Legend
The North has several dwarven citadels, such as Mithral Hall and Citadel Adbar. They were are war with the Kingdom of Many Arrows (an orc nation) until a peace treaty was reached because they stalemated. The 3E Drizzt novels have decent info on this area, as should the Savage North sourcebook.

One on the sword coast is Mt Illfarn (see Ghost of Dragonspear Castle or the AD&D adventure for details) near Daggerford. It's "ruled" by the Ironaxe clan, which is a splinter of the Ironeater clan (both have claims to Mt Illfarn, but Ironeater is in exile). It was (at the start of the Sundering) occupied by orcs and red wizards, but in Ghost of Dragonspear Castle, it was (presumably) cleared out by PCs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads