• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Build: 12th-level primary arcane caster

Kazinsky

First Post
@Khaalis
Thanks for the character builds. They are thought-provoking and will get me thinking about new ways to put PrCs together in the least. I'll have to check out that Force Missile Mage in Dragon...

@Iku Rex
Is this an absolute requirement? (Many PrCs make you sacrifice a caster level.)
Not 100%, no. But if he's giving up caster levels, I'll need to present a significant benefit to compensate.

Force multiplier? (Buffs? Battlefield control? "Annoying" the enemy? Ability to change into a war troll with draconic polymorph and squish the puny humans?)
Force multiplier in the sense of increasing the party's ability to deal with challenges. Spells like Mass Fly and battlefield control spells (eg. Web) are good examples. (But I don't think he'd mind turning into something nasty and squishing the puny humans! :) )

Jack Simth

First Post
Unless the update from Tome and Blood to Complete Arcane made it undoable, you could try a Human Sorceror 5 / Mage of the Aracane Order 10 / Archmage 5; can cast pretty much any spell that the caster could safely cast from a scroll with two round's notice (but only once per day), as well as having full caster progression and access to a standard Sorceror list (for commonly used spells - blasting, some buffing, invis, flight, et cetera).

Note that it's pretty much just a Human that can pull off that progression - needs three different feats for a Sorceror to qualify (arcane preparation, cooperative metamagic, and one additional metamagic feat)

Kazinsky

First Post
I think I'm in love!

Thanee said:
I'm currently playing one in a PbP game here... Take a look :)
Oh my, that's a very nice character build, Thanee! I think I'm going to yoink that one for myself as an elite NPC (or maybe as a PC if I ever get to play :p )

Kazinsky

First Post
@Herremann the Wise
Just wanted to drop you a personal note of thanks for your Story Hour. I love it so far. You had a reply in my thread on a 12th-level arcane caster and offered up your input on the Alienist.

I appreciate it and will continue reading the wonderful story. Good luck!

Thanee

First Post
Kazinsky said:
I think I'm going to yoink that one ...

Feel free to do so. :)

Kazinsky said:
You had a reply in my thread on a 12th-level arcane caster and offered up your input on the Alienist.

You know, that you *are* in exactly that thread here, right? :p

;)

Bye
Thanee

Kazinsky

First Post
Thanee said:
You know, that you *are* in exactly that thread here, right?
You shush! :p (I was attempting to PM him, but he wasn't accepting PMs, so just copied and pasted the text to this thread without thinking.)

To get semi-back onto topic, where'd you get the Arcane Strike feat and the Spellsword PrC from?

Thanee

First Post
Almost... they are both from Complete Warrior.

Oh, and one thing, that might not be completely obvious... I was using some of the racial substitution levels for elven wizards from Races of the Wild there.

Bye
Thanee

Kazinsky

First Post
Ah, ok. I was breaking it down and found some inconsistencies that would be explained by your use of substitution levels. I take it that's how you're getting the +10 Listen check, since I can't figure out where the rest of the points come from. Your notation indicates that you didn't spend any points there, yet you have a +10. +2 from Alertness, +3 from Bat familiar accounts for 5... I guess the rest is from the subst. levels, since your Wis is +0. Anyhow, very strong build.

By the way, I like your spell choice in your spellbook too. I like your use of the extended 1 round combat spells, too. Effective. Tell me, what do you polymorph into as your preferred combat form? Also, do you worry much about your AC or do you bank on Greater Blink and Bladeweave to get you through melee situations (or is this basically covered through your Polymorph'd form)?

Reading on this board and seeing some of the good bits from the Races books used, I think I'll have to save up for those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads