Character Builder Beta available

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I have to say so far, quite pleased. It will even go back to a previous category if a future selection effects it, ie: multi-classing.

One thing that is nice too is when selecting Powers it shows you your own characters math in relation to it, so you'll get such and such amount of bonus.

Timeboxer

Explorer
My programs that require an earlier version of .NET and won't work when I update it.

Not a great argument. .NET 3.0 and 3.5 are essentially 2.0 with nifty stuff bolted on; thus all your 2.0 and 3.0 apps should run just fine on 3.5, barring bugs and things the developer did that doesn't match interface contracts, for example.

Asmor

First Post
My programs that require an earlier version of .NET and won't work when I update it.

Not that I enjoy those needing it either mind you. Its about as annoying as visual basic runtime libraries. :mad:

It's actually basically the same thing as visual basic runtime libraries. A lot of .Net programmers write in visual basic (personally, I'm a c# man), and don't quote my on this but I think .Net is basically the next evolution of those old runtime libraries...

Your old programs should be unaffected by the installation of the .Net framework 3.5. As someone else mentioned, the old versions remain on your system.

The only thing you're losing by installing 3.5 is a trivial amount of hard drive space.

Scribble

First Post
Drat about having to download/ install stuff. The computer I spend most of my time on is my work conmputer... So no instalin stuff on it.

Guess I have to wait until I get home.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
It's actually basically the same thing as visual basic runtime libraries. A lot of .Net programmers write in visual basic (personally, I'm a c# man), and don't quote my on this but I think .Net is basically the next evolution of those old runtime libraries...

Your old programs should be unaffected by the installation of the .Net framework 3.5. As someone else mentioned, the old versions remain on your system.

The only thing you're losing by installing 3.5 is a trivial amount of hard drive space.

I am sure .NET is the bastard child of VBRun as well. Maybe why I despise it so much.

Give me "include stdio.h" any day!

Anywho. Seems people need to download the .NET 3.5 SP1 framework directly from Microsoft to get it to work and install that before trying to download the character builder to make sure the character builder has the framework complete, prior to trying to install and hanging up.

Also some bugs appear for those with x64 systems hanging up on loading, or crashing shortly after loading the software, so be on the look out for other errors like those.

Michael 'elf' Feuell said:
From what I can understand it sounds like it needs to run in x86 compatibility mode. I'm looking into a fix right now from our end. I'll update you when I have more information.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I am sure .NET is the bastard child of VBRun as well. Maybe why I despise it so much.

Give me "include stdio.h" any day!

Anywho. Seems people need to download the .NET 3.5 SP1 framework directly from Microsoft to get it to work and install that before trying to download the character builder to make sure the character builder has the framework complete, prior to trying to install and hanging up.

Also some bugs appear for those with x64 systems hanging up on loading, or crashing shortly after loading the software, so be on the look out for other errors like those.

Me being in I.T. also, I take the whole .NET thing in stride. I wouldn't fault DDI for it, because I'm guessing at least half the commercial programs written for windows in the past year need it - I install that darned thing quite frequently. :)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
My First Bug Report

I've just reported my first bug for the thing: it seems to be impossible to set a XP number not suficient for levelling up. Either your character has 0 XP or 1,000 and more.

The form used for entering the bug is well done; now I'm anxious to see the relpy of the folks at wherever bug-management takes place.

Asmor

First Post
I've just reported my first bug for the thing: it seems to be impossible to set a XP number not suficient for levelling up. Either your character has 0 XP or 1,000 and more.

The form used for entering the bug is well done; now I'm anxious to see the relpy of the folks at wherever bug-management takes place.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Anyone who subscribes to DDi gets a free upgrade to second level!

Anyone get this up and running on a Mac without dual-booting into Windows?

Unless you know something I don't (which is entirely likely), there's no chance whatsoever of this running under the Mac OS. The .Net framework is only available for Windows (though there's something called Mono for Linux which runs some .Net applications, but is not yet up to 3.5 as far as I know so wouldn't be able to run this either).

Remove ads