• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Builder on a flash drive?

cmbarona

First Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but...

For a number of reasons, I'm interested in having a portable version of the DnDI Character Builder. Does anyone know if it can 1) be installed on a flash drive, and 2) run independently from that drive?

Rugger

Explorer
In all my futzing with it, unfortunately no. :(

The CB writes keys to the registry of the machines it is installed on, so it's not as easy as plugging in a flash drive on a PC and running it. You CAN install (or copy an install) to the flash drive, but you HAVE to have installed it on the PC you wanna run it on to work.

-Matt

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
So the next test would be install the full registered version to the flash drive, and then install the demo to each computer you want to use it on and see if that works. Though if your restriction is can't install things at work rather than 5 computers isn't enough That still won't help you. But it's worth a try.

I know this post is borderlining on illegal activity, so mods feel free to delete if you think it needs to go.

cmbarona

First Post
Hmmm... I was afraid the answer would be something like that. Oh well. The main reason is to be able to view, print, and play with the character while I'm at my friend's house, since he doesn't have a dndi subscription. Instead, I guess I'll have to stick to third-party excel spreadsheets and the like.

Thanks for the quick response.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
You can download the update 5 times with your subcription just use your subcription to install it on his computer.

cmbarona

First Post
Yes, I'm quite aware of that, and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I'm not looking for pirating options, I'm looking for mobility.

Alternatively, can a basic (levels 1-3) version of Character Builder view files that encompass later levels, even if they can't edit them?

Obergnom

First Post
actually, you could use install a Linux to your USB stick and install a Windows virtual machine on that linux. If you install the character builder in that virtual machine you could boot into it where ever you are. (As long as the computers are able to boot from usb)

You could just create a windows virtual machine on windows, install the CB in the VM and put that upon your usb stick. If your friend has a virtual machine client you could boot it at his place too, without ever having to touch a linux :)

so, it is possible and actually not that hard to do, if you are willing to invest some time to get used to the concept of virtual machines. Oh, and the software involved is free.

malraux

First Post
Yes, I'm quite aware of that, and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I'm not looking for pirating options, I'm looking for mobility.

Alternatively, can a basic (levels 1-3) version of Character Builder view files that encompass later levels, even if they can't edit them?

As near as I can tell, WotC has not only not discouraged such activity, they have mildly encouraged it. They do allow 5 separate downloads after all.

cmbarona

First Post
actually, you could use install a Linux to your USB stick and install a Windows virtual machine on that linux. If you install the character builder in that virtual machine you could boot into it where ever you are. (As long as the computers are able to boot from usb)

You could just create a windows virtual machine on windows, install the CB in the VM and put that upon your usb stick. If your friend has a virtual machine client you could boot it at his place too, without ever having to touch a linux :)

so, it is possible and actually not that hard to do, if you are willing to invest some time to get used to the concept of virtual machines. Oh, and the software involved is free.

Hmmm... now this sounds like a fun little option. :) I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

As near as I can tell, WotC has not only not discouraged such activity, they have mildly encouraged it. They do allow 5 separate downloads after all

Well I'll be... If that's the case, then that makes things a lot easier!

... although I may still look into the Linux/virtual Windows option since I'm such a nerd anyway. ;)

Remove ads