• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Builder on Flashdrive?

Scribble

First Post
Given that they're limiting updates (admittedly, it's a very generous limit IMHO), I'd be mildly surprised if it was as simple as copying the thing to a drive, since that would essentially mean you could just copy it to an arbitrary number of computers.

Only mildly surprised of course-- while it's clear by design they should prevent such an obvious loophole, it wouldn't shock me if they didn't whether out of neglect, altruism, or incompetence.

I didn't copy it to the drive though. I installed it onto a folder on the flash drive.

Rugger

Explorer
I messed around a bit with this the day it came out.

As soon as you login to a DDI account to upgrade the install, it's making a registry key that appears to be encrypted with data that may include the computer's name.

What I found was that I would have to at least run the install on a system that I wanted to run it on, go through the upgrade process enough to have entered my DDI info (creating the reg key), and stop before letting it upgrade (a bad use of work's internet connection ;) ). In the reg key, there is a entry for 'Install Stage'. Changing it to Complete let me then run the Builder off a flash drive.

The SW install itself can then run off a Flash Drive or removable device, heck you can even copy it from an installed system, but without the system specific reg key, it's useless :(

My 2 cents

-Matt

Remove ads