• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Concepts Multiclassing Oddity

Scalding

First Post
I'm looking at the latest Dragon feature, Character Concepts, and I've noticed an odd section:
Page 40 said:
Level 7: [...] This is one of the tricks of multiclassing: With each new level, you can swap powers in and out to make sure that your character’s multiclass powers are (if you choose) nearly his most powerful attacks. Germaine has traded out burning hands for covering attack (that’s the “gain back” part described on page 209 of the Player’s Handbook), and then traded out sweeping blow for color spray.

The way I read this is that Germain, having taken Novice Power at level 4 to get Burning Hands, now, at level 7, also gets Color Spray. At least, the author did not mention that Burning Hands has been reverted to Covering Attack, which is how I expect it should work, according to:

PHB said:
When you take one of these power-swap feats, you give up a power of your choice from your primary class and replace it with a power of the same level or lower from the class you have multiclassed in.

Any time you gain a level, you can alter that decision. Effectively, pretend you’re choosing the power-swap feat for the first time at the new level you’ve just gained. You gain back the power that you gave up originally from your primary class, lose the power that you chose from your second class, and make the trade again. You give up a different power from your primary class and replace it with a new power of the same level from your second class.

Again, the way the article is written makes multiclassing seem far more powerful than RAW as I understand it.

I apologize for the large quoted sections, I've really tried to take just what was necessary to show the problem in full light.

Scalding

First Post
And then at level 11, the author makes it sound as though Germaine continues to multiclass and gets Wizard of the Spiral Tower. He does not actually take the paragon path, however.

This article needs a bit of editing.

spinmd

Fishy DM
Also, the one thing I noticed is the description of Get Over Here is odd, as my PH says the power affects only allies not enemies

Level 2: Get over here pulls Germaine’s enemies in close, which is good for a fighter, and it can combo well with the close blasts he should soon have as a wizard.

wayne62682

First Post
It never bodes well when the designers of the game don't understand the rules, and don't bother to check them before writing advice columns. I remember it happened an awful lot in their 3.5 articles.

Jion

First Post
Page 40 said:
Level 7: [...] This is one of the tricks of multiclassing: With each new level, you can swap powers in and out to make sure that your character’s multiclass powers are (if you choose) nearly his most powerful attacks. Germaine has traded out burning hands for covering attack (that’s the “gain back” part described on page 209 of the Player’s Handbook), and then traded out sweeping blow for color spray.

The way I read this is that Germain, having taken Novice Power at level 4 to get Burning Hands, now, at level 7, also gets Color Spray. At least, the author did not mention that Burning Hands has been reverted to Covering Attack, which is how I expect it should work, according to:

Actually, he did mention it.

Germaine has traded out burning hands for covering attack (that’s the “gain back” part described on page 209 of the Player’s Handbook)

The text you quoted from page 209 of the PH says

You gain back the power that you gave up originally from your primary class

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Germain has SO many problems. Sword, Wand, and Shield in his third hand. The dude needs Quick Draw at LEAST.

He can't take a Wizard Utility at level 22 as Eternal Seeker only gives you Encounter/Dailies from other classes.

Eladrin Soldier doesn't work with Bastard Sword and doesn't stack with Weapon Focus (Heavy Weapons) anyway. Worthless feat unless you are using spears. Which he isn't.

His at-wills are wrong in the level 30 recap.

Plus what other people said.

melkoriii

First Post
And then at level 11, the author makes it sound as though Germaine continues to multiclass and gets Wizard of the Spiral Tower. He does not actually take the paragon path, however.

This is were I got confused.

If this is how MCing was in the RAW it would be useful and I would like/use it. but it clearly is not.

Not sure what the writer was thinking when it was created.

LOL I will be useing this though to get my DM to allow swaping an at-will at lvl 11 AND taking a MCing Paragon Path

sukael

First Post
Scalding said:

Maybe we've found the next bit of errata in advance! ;)

Remove ads