• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Creation Now Supported: Let's Make Some Characters!

Rhenny

Adventurer
My first attempt:

Wild Elf Fighter (Dex based)

Sharpshooter Style

Thief background

Archer specialty

1d10+4 with longbow
Expertise die
+7 open locks
+7 stealth
+4 find/remove traps

Bow_Seat

First Post
the only thought that immediately occurred to me, viking, was that you're rogue-lock would do more damage by eldritch blasting every round than by rotating hide, eldritch blast, hide.

that said if you can be hidden for the first round of combat you're going to ruin somebody's day.

Bow_Seat

First Post
Just made my first 5e character

Rolled 4d6 drop 1 stats in order

'Bad' Roscoe Goodbarrel

Halfing (stout), Sorcerer (draconic)
Thug, Survivor

Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 18

AC 16, HP 17, Init +3, Speed 20(25 base)

Skills(trained): Intimidate +7, Streetwise +7, Stealth +6(disadvantaged)

melee: shortsword +6 (d8+3) ; shocking grasp +6 (d8+4)

ranged: magic missle (d4+1)

Willpower: 3
Spells: cause fear, burning hands

He looks like a great mook killer. He can't put out single target damage like a fighter, but he's still a tough front line guy. His burning hands slaughters kobold and goblins, and cause fear is a great way to get monsters off of the wizard/rogue/healbot.

I really like that once he uses up his willpower he can do some more single target damage to keep going through the day.

Also, since he's a halfling it makes it easy to position my burning hands since I can move through enemy squares.

Lastly, can a draconic sorcerer use a shortsword? I went ahead and said yes, because I thought it would be weird to not be able to use a shortsword but be able to use a longsword.

Last edited:

ComradeGnull

First Post
I built my first Nextie last night- a Human Warlock with social skill focus, mostly using the suggested backgrounds and specialties. I was mostly doing it as a way to test out the character creation rules. I wrote a rambling blog entry about my impression of the creation system here.

My character's name was Foobar Testface. Was anyone else unable to write in the 'Name' field on the provided character sheet, or was that just me?

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
the only thought that immediately occurred to me, viking, was that you're rogue-lock would do more damage by eldritch blasting every round than by rotating hide, eldritch blast, hide.

that said if you can be hidden for the first round of combat you're going to ruin somebody's day.

Yeah. I went with Lurker and Thief schemes because I want the Roguelock to be good at stealth above and beyond its combat value. Tam o'Llayne has a bit of the Shadow vibe going on - he's incredibly good at hiding in the lightest shadows, he can douse sources of light to plunge rooms into darkness, and once he starts to level, he's going to be walking through walls, teleporting, turning ethereal and generally being a will o'the wisp.

Also, he's got all of AC 14. Even with 50 foot range, there are going to be a lot of smaller rooms where he isn't going to want anyone to know where they're being sniped from.

ComradeGnull

First Post
Lastly, can a draconic sorcerer use a shortsword? I went ahead and said yes, because I thought it would be weird to not be able to use a shortsword but be able to use a longsword.

In the RAW, no, you don't gain proficiency with short swords. Daggers and Quarterstaves are the only finesse weapons that Draconic Sorcerers get.

Giving them a short sword provides two nice benefits for a Halfling- they can use their Dex instead of Str as their attack modifier, and the damage die goes up by one. I wouldn't let someone do that- either use the sword without proficiency (which means getting to use your Dex bonus, but with a d6 instead of d8) or use the Martial equivalent, the long sword (Str bonus, but larger damage die).

In other news, built a Halfling Wizard Spy Necromancer today. Drove home that 1) the Human stat bonus is really, really good, and 2) the Warlock Eldritch Blast seems to be a little outside the power band- I can't imagine ever using a weapon as a Warlock at this point. Charging Orc? Eldritch blast. Meat too tough? Eldritch Blast.

gyor

Legend
Champion of the Oak Princess

Warlock Priest Acolyte Human

A Warlock so in love with the Oak Princess he worships her as if she were a Goddess.

Orisons: Death's Doorway, Light

Minor Invocations: Eldrich Blast
Lesser Invocations: Baleful Utterance, Fabric of the Weave

Weapon rapier.

High Charisma and Dex.

Ah, where are the multiclassing rules? Edit - apparently the above is just a guess.

In which case you can do some really nasty things with a single level dip in warlock to get Baleful Utterance and the ability to walk through walls. Or a single level dip in rogue for 2 dice worth of sneak attack and skill mastery. Warlock/Rogue ftw! So no, I don't think multiclassing will work 3.X style. (Third level in fighter - your skills don't get worse and now you have damage resistance). Everything's front-loaded, which differentiates the classes and prevents 3.X style multiclassing.

Last edited:

Baileyborough

First Post
I love the Warlock, although never been as keen on Fey pacts as some of the others. Oh well, here goes.

Cale Blackthorne

Human Warlock Noble Jack of All Trades (The speciality is a bit of a place filler - I'm not keen on any of them for this char)

A young human noble, who was betrothed to be married off. One fateful evening, his fiancee won the interest of Verenestra, and it was only some fast talking and some foolish deal making on Cale's part that saved her.

Now, he belongs to the Oak Princess. His finacee is safe, but she no longer knows who he is or has any memory of him. He is beholden to Verenestra, and can feel her slowly devouring him, starting with his looks. He now spends every waking moment trawling old tomes looking for something, anything, to get him out of this contract.

His three servants - Orryn, Rosalyn and their son Goran - follow him, partly out of duty, more out of affection for their master who has suddenly become a shadow of his former self.

Minor Invocations: Eldritch Blast
Lesser Invocations: Breath of Night, Visage of the Summer Court
Ritual: Comprehend Language
Weapon: Rapier

Top three stats - Int, Cha, Dex

His Servants, while they care for him, are also becoming increasingly frightened of their master, his sudden outbursts, the way he looks haggared, his irritability during the day. They suspect something, but cannot do much about it.

Wow, getting kinda stuck into the fluff, better wrap this up!

C.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads