• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Character Creation] [VtR] nWoD Vampire Game

Graf

Explorer
We're now in recruiting character creation stage. Still accepting alts.
Please post if you're interested in joining us.

Playing in Tokiwong's (sadly discontinued) Werewolf game a while back made me appreciate that it's possible to get a good nWoD game going on EnWorld.

WtF is obviously not the same as Vampire the Requiem but I've had it in my mind to run a Vampire game for a bit. I thought I'd check to see if there was interest though before developing things.

The game would be Vampire the Requiem

General vision
It would be set in an unnamed city in the American mid-west.
The PCs are all recently embraced Neonates (newly created vampires) who are on effectively on probation (due to political stuff -- naturally, it's vampire).
Initially the character choices will be fairly restrained, over time it should broaden out depending on the actions of the group.
Once preludes are over the initial "sessions" would have an investigatory feel; after that the tone of the campaign will depends on the group's choices (of course it's vampire, so it won't ever be fluffy bunnies)

I'm envisioning an initial arc that would last about 6 months (real time).

-Is- there any interest?

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
I have never ever played any WoD game, but have always wanted to give it a shot. I do have the the books, but still might have to be walked through a bit when it comes to deciphering them and building a character.

So if you'd be willing to add a but of fresh meat to your frying pan, I'm happy to jump in and get burned.

Graf

Explorer
Bloodweaver1 said:
Count me in, but I do not have any of the requiem books.
Will that be a problem?
Some folks didn't have books in Toki's game and it was fine. Hopefully some of the other players will help out a bit (I don't want to have to type out too much stuff) but I don't see that as a barrier to entry.

industrygothica said:
I have never ever played any WoD game, but have always wanted to give it a shot. I do have the the books, but still might have to be walked through a bit when it comes to deciphering them and building a character.

So if you'd be willing to add a but of fresh meat to your frying pan, I'm happy to jump in and get burned.
I'm very happy to have new players. I don't have complete mastery of the game rules, and I don't expect players to either.

The game is about newly (probably 3 months or so) embraced vampires. Your characters will be learning about their new existences as well, so not having a lot of experience with the game might be an advantage from a roleplaying standpoint.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
So I'll count four posts by pbp board regulars as "interest". Ideally I'd like to have one or more players but maybe we'll pick some more folks up as the game goes along.

Some off the cuff stuff

*I'm planning on discussing and planning this week. If that turns into a general (or specific) discussion of character concepts that's fine. Otherwise we'll start working on that next week. (I have a bit of a commitment this Saturday).

*While you can probably take anything from the VtR book there will be some restrictions on character creation. These aren't meant to be me spitefully removing options but simply a way to structure the game initially so that the group fits together somewhat and everyone can participate initially.

*I'm thinking about a soft deadline on replying to my posts. I.e. if I post something then you have x number of hours (24? 48? 72?) to respond. Otherwise I may excerise the right to "move the game along".
(This doesn't apply if you've given me a heads up you'll be away. I'm just talking about 'disappearances')
What do people think? (good/bad/unfair/unnecessary)
If positive what sort of time period is reasonable?

Last edited:

Festy_Dog

First Post
I'd like to express my interest as well. It's not too often a WoD game pops up here, so I'm always eager to get a piece of the action. While I wouldn't call Vampire my favourite, I certainly have a soft spot for it what with all the politics and intrigue.

The time limit for responses is a good idea. 24 hours seems good, with maybe some more leniency on weekends (assuming most forum goers visit less often during then).

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I agree with Festy_Dog. 24 hours seems fine to me, but weekends do have a tendancy to slow down to a crawl. I was wondering if Bloodlines would be allowed.

Graf

Explorer
24 hours was my initial thought as well.
But I'm amenable to changing things or talking about it further if people like.
Again it's more of an "escape clause" for me than something I'd want to enforce draconianly.

OnlytheStrong said:
I was wondering if Bloodlines would be allowed.
Allowed in what sort of sense? For Neonates? No. I can't really imagine how you'd wind up being in a bloodline after only a few months.

While I haven't looked at them extensively (or at all really) my impression is that they seem to be an easy way to get extra power more cheaply, or access to a new rare/powerful discipline.
None of that makes me especially keen to proactively work to include them.

I tend to think of them as being similar to prestige classes. I appreciate the advantages they provide in terms of short hand, (i.e. of being able to say "the prince's advisor is a Toreador") or the way that you can have useful-to-the-story game effects (having some sort of powerful NPC with a particularly debilitating weakness) but I am inclined to use them rarely, if at all.

Having said that, if you have some sort of interesting character idea or background concept that is significantly enhanced by the existence of some bloodline in the world then I'd probably be very open to including it. (Ex: A character whose sire is an "art apraiser" and was embraced to settle some sort of arcane and long running dispute between a bunch of particularly academic Toreador).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads