• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character discussion

Isagard

First Post
yeah.....when i asked my dm if i could play a half-celestial or half-fiend he siad no there too powerful...all others in my group are like 7th lvl humans and elves....so the most powerful i was aloud to play was a lvl13 half-dragon

Darth K'Trava

First Post
For the most part, I've played humans. One half-elf in the "mix".... At the end of the epic level campaign, my human cleric of Torm became a half-celestial right before most of the party got killed off (grr! :mad: ) She was my fav character.

Right now, I'm playing (another game by the same DM) a half-silver dragon/half human female paladin of Tyr who started as human and got changed the same time as the epic cleric did.... Now she's still trying to deal with her new change and still thinking of herself as human for most things.... the only attributes that changed was her facial appearance and her hands.

Voadam

Legend
Two current games

A human in one.

In the other a Luminous from FFG's Mythic Races, basically a humanoid composed of positive energy.

I've got a mountain dwarf for a game that is supposed to start soon.

Voadam

Legend
Goddess FallenAngel said:

One of the nicest things about 3E is that anything can be a character race, as long as you are willing to handle the ECL. And even then, with optional rules from Monte Cook, among others, that needn't even be a problem for long. :)

What MC optional rules for ECL dropping?

Voadam said:
What MC optional rules for ECL dropping?

I thought they were Monte Cook, but it was WOTC, sorry. Unearthed Arcana. I always get that and Arcana Unearthed mixed up.

Basically, you can spend XP to "buy off" your ECL; you spend the amount of XP equal to what you would need to level up for your next level, and "lose" 1 ECL. So, basically, you just don't level up, lose and ECL, but keep the powers gained from it.

While that might not seem that good at first glance, the XP rules for 3.5 give more XP to lower level characters. So, say the party is all 24th level, and everyone gets enough XP to make 25th. You instead choose to "buy off" 1 ECL, making you 24th when they are 25th. Which gets you more XP per encounter than them. I've noticed in play that the characters that do that do eventually tend to level out to power with the rest of the party.

Stormrunner

Explorer
Centaurs. Four on the floor, baby!
I also play lizardfolk a lot. But I hate the weird, humanoid-skull faces 3.x art gives them. My lizardfolk are more like humanoid velociraptors.

Remove ads