• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character...help

Seph

First Post
Is there any race that has +2 charasma other then a moon elf.....a race that doesnt have any level adjustments...

CyberSpyder

First Post
Nope, that's about it.

Unless you want to play a human between 53 and 70 years old. Then you'll get +2 to INT, WIS, and CHA, and -3 to STR, DEX, and CON.

Players Guide to Faerun has a "lesser" planetouched variant which retains all the aasimar abilities (including +2 Charisma) but without the level adjustment. The only other change is they are Humanoid (Planetouched) instead of Outsiders.

There's also a sub-race of those Rat things in Rokugan Campaign Setting (Nezumi?) which have a +2 to charisma and no level adjustment.

Star Elves in Unapproachable East also get +2 Chr (unless that's what you meant by Moon Elves?)

Seph said:
hmm...players guide to Fauren.....hmm never heard of it....where can i find this
It was Wizard's of the Coast's way of bringing the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting from 3.0 to 3.5; it tries to update feats, spells, prestige classes etc.

You can find it wherever you normally get your D&D stuff from, I imagine.

Check with your DM first though - there's no way I'd allow one of the "lesser" planetouched in my campaign, but someone running a Forgotten Realms campaign might be willing to. Its in the Appendix, rather than the main text, which might also discourage a DM.

werk

First Post
cyberspider said:
Oh, Faerun. What unbalanced things won't you introduce?
Seph said:
oh so im taking its unbalanced.

I'm gonna challenge that. Just because you dislike a setting doesn't mean you need to tell everyone that the setting sucks. I don't see where Seph, the OP, is asking for help but doesn't want FR info...
edit: Seph actually calls them moon elves, an FR term...

I see a lot of FR bashing on these boards, and it's ok if people feel that way (with hate seething in their hearts) but it is another to pollute fresh young gamers with that obviously biased (and IMHO wrong) information.

Try to stick to the thread topic without slinging mud (please).

Your favorite band sucks!

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Seph said:
oh so im taking its unbalanced.
In the standard campaign, yeah, it's may be slightly unbalancing. A race with net positive stat modifiers plus other abilities is supposed to have at least a +1 LA.

However, Forgotten Realms tends to have a higher power level than the standard campaign. Balanced against all the other high-powered races and whatnot that exist on Faerun, this one is probably fine.

As CyberSpider points out, if you introduce just one or two things from FR into a standard game, it's easy to throw things out of balance. But in an FR campaign, everybody is "overpowered," which is another way of saying nobody is.

werk said:
I'm gonna challenge that. Just because you dislike a setting doesn't mean you need to tell everyone that the setting sucks. I don't see where Seph, the OP, is asking for help but doesn't want FR info...
edit: Seph actually calls them moon elves, an FR term...

I see a lot of FR bashing on these boards, and it's ok if people feel that way (with hate seething in their hearts) but it is another to pollute fresh young gamers with that obviously biased (and IMHO wrong) information.

Nobody in this thread ever said that Faerun "sucks", or that they even disliked it, they just commented on the balance of it. And to be quite frank, Faerun material isn't balanced in a Core campaign setting. Most campaign settings make some aspects of a game more important than others. Faerun is a high magic setting with a strong focus on arcane magic. I agree 100% that allowing Faerun material into a game will change the balance a lot. The allowance of races with +2 to mental stats with no level adjustment is a significant part of that.

As for other ways to get +2 cha without level adjustment, I seem to remember some of the anthropomorphic (furry) creatures in Savage Species to have no/low level adjustment with some interesting stat changes, but I think most of those would be an inteligence increase, not a charisma increase. I don't know where it's from, but I remember hearing about a golden dwarf from somewhere with improved charisma.

Edit: What AuraSeer said.

Remove ads