• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character help

Sutekh

First Post
Firstly some information about the game background.

Choice of 4 races that share space on a large island. Lesser Planetouched, Hobgoblins, Elves or Orcs. Each culture is based on a humanesque culture. Elves/ Japanese, Hobgoblins/Greek, Orcs/Vikings.

Im looking to play a Hobgoblin and a Samurai. I was looking to play a warrior who is more motivated by a sense of duty and personal honor and as such Im using the OE version.

Obviously I wont be going Katana/W with the Daisho. Can anyone suggest a Greek version of these weapons or something I could substitute?

Rampant

First Post
Well spartans used the spears then switched to short sword and beaning people with the shield, which was honestly what most greek warriors did, the Spartans were just better at it.

HObgoblins however are often associated with chain weapons such as the flail, if that's more helpful. Frankly the greeks didn't seem to have the kind of martial codes that lead to a samurai type character, their soldiers tended towards the ruthlessly practical.

emoplato

First Post
Well, the Greeks didn't really have a long sword that they used alone. They mostly had short swords(xiphos) and shields to use for close quarters combat. Otherwise you could just use a glaive to still keep a theme of Greek polearms while being a bit of samurai.

Empirate

First Post
A note on roleplaying: Thebes (city state in Thessaly that held ascendancy in Greece for a brief period, out-fighting Sparta and Athens both) had a special elite band of warriors calling themselves the Sacred Band. The Sacred Band fought with spear and shield, in good old phalanx style, but they had a special twist to it: they would form permanent couples that would never separate, vowing before battle to "let no enemy get between them". Often, these couples were also lovers (or what passes for such in a homosexually inclined warrior society). They were probably as good as whatever Sparta could field.

Might be interesting to roleplay such a guy, who has lost his mate (whether he was also his lover or not I leave to you), and has thus dishonored himself. Now he needs to find a way to prove himself worthy of being accepted into the Band again and find another fighting mate.

marcielle

First Post
Samurai used bow and arrow on a horse more than actual katanas in pracical combat, IIRC. Katanas were more a symbol, used in duels for the sake of tradition and stuff, rather than because they were their weapon of choice.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The Greeks and Romans fought with Lions. Get yourself a Lion.

Or Three lions. Learn how to make the most of the Animal Handling rules.

Or Three Veloceraptors, but that's starting to deviate from your theme...

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Ok now the next samurai clan I make will get weapon focus (lion) as a bonus feat.
This guy can wield a lion...
LionTailTale.jpg

...You can too!

Empirate

First Post
Samurai used bow and arrow on a horse more than actual katanas in pracical combat, IIRC. Katanas were more a symbol, used in duels for the sake of tradition and stuff, rather than because they were their weapon of choice.

Yeah, sake is a pretty traditional drink. What has that to do with swordfighting?

:p

Remove ads