• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Idea Help

Kommy

First Post
So I want to create a character that is a god, pretending not to be a god. How can I make this character so that they retain some of their godly powers (They are the god of the night and can do pretty much do anything with nature)

Al2O3

Explorer
Talk to your DM first. Without DM buy-in it will probably be very hard to pull off, no matter how well you build your character. If you are the DM and the character is an NPC it might be easier (no need to limit to the class abilities).

Some classes that could fit with night+nature: cleric, druid, shadow monk, rogue maybe and ranger. Perhaps some kind of Warlock could be a good fit. Oath of the Ancients Paladin could be a good fit for divine+nature.

Really depends on what your god is pretending to be. Night-themed characters could be Shadow Monks, Warlocks, Rogues. If you would rather have Nature-themed powers then Druid or Ranger sounds more applicable.

Decide what sort of character you want to play. Since the character is allowing itself to live and die as a Mortal, the restrictions as to what it is allowing itself to do could potentially cover any class.

G

Guest 6801328

If you're playing D&D your character is already a god.

But try a Tiefling druid?

The character should deal mortal (not god level) damage but have special godlike powers of intuition, knowledge, etc. It might be fun if you could take random abilities from different classes that fit your theme and not just be restricted to one class. The DM will be ok with it (probably) because the lack of focus would reduce your overall power but would be so much fun.

As DM this is a red flag, I'm afraid.

A god stuck in mortal form with mortal limitations who is forced to pray to himself would be a neat idea. But to say "pretending not to be a god" whilst actually have godlike powers he chooses to not use...

Massively open to abuse.

A delusional warlock who believes his patron to be his own godlike self, also fun. But to be actual God, sorry, no.

Ok. Is go for this:

Gods are gods because they are believed in. Your character is a god that no one believes in so has been cast out of whatever domain/heaven/plane/pantheon.

Forced to join the mortal realm he can act as his own cleric or paladin. The goal is to establish enough believers to form enough worship to read it him to the pantheon as a demigod to begin with (when he still walks the earth but is say level 18+) and then ascend to godhood full time.

I don't see night and nature cohabiting very well so I'd suggest you pick one.

But the PC would be as other PCs although I'd allow you a Feat to start off with.

BoldItalic

First Post
So I want to create a character that is a god, pretending not to be a god. How can I make this character so that they retain some of their godly powers (They are the god of the night and can do pretty much do anything with nature)
If he is pretending convincingly, he won't use any powers that his mortal avatar wouldn't have had. So you can make him a normal PC who believes in himself. He secretly knows he has godlike powers but chooses not to use them. He is indistinguishable from a madman.

If he does use miraculous powers, revealing his godship, your DM might be quite cross.

If I were your DM (which I'm not) and if I decided to allow this (which I wouldn't), and if you announced something like "I wax exceeding wrath, raise my hand and destroy the city in a pillar of flame", I would rule "Okay. Your character is now under the delusion that the city has been destroyed." and turn to the next player.

Basically, it's a non-starter.

Remove ads