• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Narratives Preview from PRIMEVAL THULE

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

For the original announcement, click here.

narrative-preview-p1.jpg

narrative-preview-p2.jpg

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Two things: First, we have a preview available showing our Deluxe Thule pack (GM screen, poster map of Quodeth, and reference cards), if anyone is curious. You can see it at http://www.sasquatchgamestudio.com/thule-gm-screen-and-reference-cards/ .

Second: One of the reasons why 5e's short rest is an hour compared to 4e's 5-minute short rest is simply the aesthetics of the "adventurer's workday." It bugged the heck out of us (meaning, WotC when I was on staff there) in the 3e era that most PC parties blew through their resources and stormed four or five rooms in about ten minutes of elapsed time. So we had an idea that giving people a decent suite of powers that recharged every encounter might help them to adventure heroically for more of the day before camping. But in practice, 4e parties did the same thing, and maybe had a 20-minute adventuring day. So one of the reasons the short rest in 5e is an hour is simply to encourage PCs to spend all day exploring a dungeon, making the experience match up better with the books and films people think about when they think about fantasy adventure. I was part of the 5e design team for many months, so I participated in those discussions. Now, 5e does a much better job than previous editions of making players decide to use or conserve those "short rest" powers, just because any DM worth his salt can decide whether the PCs can sit on their duffs for an hour in safety or not. But it is something that plays differently at different tables.

Hypothetically speaking: What would you guys think about saying "3/day" instead of "1/encounter" or "1/hour?" That's close to the same frequency and fairly agnostic about encounter pacing. I imagine we might want some boilerplate like, "3/day but not more than 1/minute" or "3/day, but not more than once against any given foe because he's onto your tricks after you do it once."

I would be totally cool with 3/day etc. That appeared a lot in 2e stuff and I liked it. I certainly would prefer that over "encounter". But some other variant about needing a rest etc also works for me.

epithet

Explorer
They've said that the digital packs will have the DM and player maps for use with VTT software other than Fantasy Grounds. It will be a little work to paste the text and images into your VTT of choice to make a module, but if you've already made a functioning 5e ruleset you can probably put an adventure module together from the pdf files and map images in no time.

MagicSN

First Post
They've said that the digital packs will have the DM and player maps for use with VTT software other than Fantasy Grounds. It will be a little work to paste the text and images into your VTT of choice to make a module, but if you've already made a functioning 5e ruleset you can probably put an adventure module together from the pdf files and map images in no time.

Actually Realms Work is not a VTT, it is a system for GM preparation and for presenting data to the players between sessions, mainly (with an interface to Hero Lab which is a character editor with printout-facility). But that images will be included sounds great, so one could do something oneselves!

Thanks a lot!

Rich Baker

First Post
If you're interested in some of the whys and wherefores of Thule -- where it came from, what our core inspirations were, why we think it's cool -- you might enjoy this interview I did with IO9 during our original Kickstarter. Obviously some of the discussion about designing for multiple systems doesn't necessarily apply for the current Kickstarter (just 5e this time, thank you!), but otherwise it's a great look at what the world is about.

http://io9.com/primeval-thule-might-be-the-conan-meets-cthulhu-rpg-the-899512104

Remove ads

Remove ads