Did you find this article useful?

• Yes

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Poll closed .

xechnao

First Post
IMO to explain the D&D mental stats in a semi-realistic way I think Intelligence should reflect the number of your specializations (feats), Wisdom your XP advancement rate (skills) and Charisma contacts and allies you have as resources at your disposition (something like fame).

buzz

Adventurer
This is interesting stuff, but I find that this sort of deep thought about one's PC is more useful in games that give it mechanical weight, such as SotC/FATE or Burning Wheel. With D&D, I find that it kind of gets in the way.

Also, I really enjoy figuring this stuff out during play rather than deciding it up-front.

Regardless, there's a lot to chew on here. My suggestion for practical application would be to pick, say, three categories from the article and come up with one or two sentences or phrases for each.

Role Model: Grimnir always looked up to Binwin, captain of the dwarven host. He hopes to one day serve in, and perhaps lead, the host himself.

Likes and Dislikes: Grimnir, unlike most dwarven fighters, prefers swords above the more traditional axes and hammers of his people. The finesse of the blade technique is one he hopes to master completely.

Home: Grimnir loves his mountain home beneath the hills Cairgorm; to him, it is more beautiful than any other land. He vows to one day return from his adventures and start a family there.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Another practical suggestion I'd make is to have all of this focused around a Quest or two - one Major Quest shared by all PCs, and maybe a Minor Quest of your own.

pawsplay

Hero
Nice article, but it doesn't really delve into, "How much detail is too much?" And it is definitely possible to have too much detail. You may be disappointed the GM doesn't permit elements of the backstory you wanted. Stuff may never come up in play. Your character could die young. You may come up with so many interesting things about your character you actually become bored with them before you ever play.

Some of that stuff definitely falls under "keep it to yourself." It may help you to know your character is a Capricorn, but if there's no game effect, most people aren't going to find it a gripping aspect to your character.

Remove ads