• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

character scars

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
delericho said:
I leave it entirely in the hands of my players - if they want their PC to have scars, then so be it.
Same here. I'm not sure I want to require scars nor deny a player a battle-scarred character if they want one.

Combat is pretty graphic in my game, so if someone wants a scar, they have plenty of chances to get them if they choose to. The latest Midwood game had one character covering his lower face in bandages so everyone else didn't have to see the shattered wreck of where his nose once was until he could get healing.

DungeonMaester

First Post
delericho said:
= I've divorced the Charisma attribute from physical appearance entirely, so there are no game effects either way.

Same here. I hate it when a player says "ZOMG eye have a 22+6 cha score i r sexy woot"

---Rusty

delericho

Legend
DungeonMaester said:
Same here. I hate it when a player says "ZOMG eye have a 22+6 cha score i r sexy woot"

With me it's the opposite issue - I've seen too many players declare that their low Charisma is because their character is ugly. They then proceed to play the character with all the charm and sophistication that they can muster, and expect the NPCs to react to their role-play, and ignore the fact that they've very deliberately dumped Cha for power-gaming reasons.

Aaron L

Hero
DungeonMaester said:

---Rusty

If the character has a very high Charisma, and the player wants him/her to be sexy... what's the problem?

Warren Okuma

First Post
GreenMonster said:
An interesting topic came up at our last session - Character scars, and the healing of things such as missing eyes, ears, etc (I'll leave the long story out of the thread other than to say damn slavers in dead magic zones) Our campaign takes place in the F- Realms and I'm wondering if there are specific rules about healing scars etc. Regeneration for instance heals limbs but says nothing about eyes, ears, etc. Healing spells say nothing about scars (even the HEAL spell) On the flip side if you want to play a character with a nasty scar how do you prevent it from being healed. Maybe this is a rules forum topic but I thought it was a pretty broad issue so I posted here...

Thoughts?
Depends on the source of healing. The clerics of the god of valor is going to leave really impressive scars, while the the clerics of the god of healing is going to heal them.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
I presume the 14th fighter I play is scarred like crazy. never died, but I have stabilized at -9hp more times than is healthy.
I call it ding-dong ditch death's door.

Regeneration can remove scars. If it can regrow a limb or kidney, scars are nothing.

Warren Okuma

First Post
mr_outsidevoice said:
I presume the 14th fighter I play is scarred like crazy. never died, but I have stabilized at -9hp more times than is healthy.
I call it ding-dong ditch death's door..
I'll buy that as well... You've earned it.
mr_outsidevoice said:
Regeneration can remove scars. If it can regrow a limb or kidney, scars are nothing.
Yup.

BaldHero

First Post
one of my characters comes from a tribal people that think scars are marks of honor and glory and such, but since the healing magic in that game heals sacrs, the warriors of the tribe are loath to accept it unless the wound is absolutely life threatening.

Instead they prefer to leave the wounds in place until they can have them outlined with tattoos, then they get it healed as quickly as possible. In emergency situations, they have the priest that healed them try their best to capture the wound in a tattoo after the fact.

This leads to being able to tell the toughest members of the tribe by the number and size of their tats, and some intertersting role play when the warrior is down and the group gets to decide to how his scar looked before hey healed him.

Tetujin

First Post
Piratecat said:
In Sagiro's campaign, clerics of the Healing God always leave scars when they magically heal a wound...

Similarly, what I would do is have the clerics of the Healing God receive a scar every time they healed someone in the same or similar location. Again the idea would be to some extent that the most devote would be the most scars, carry the most burden and reminder of the importance of their jobs.

BadMojo

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Same here. I'm not sure I want to require scars nor deny a player a battle-scarred character if they want one.

Same here, as a DM and player. I've always imagined that clerical healing didn't leave any scars, but it's still cool to let players have cool scars (and the stories that go with them) if that's there thing.

If all healing magic left scars, the average 10th level adventurer would look *rough*. That's fine if your cool with that, but it kind of flies in the face of high fantasy with all of those purty elves and paladins. I could imagine the guys in the Glen Cook's Black Company books looking like complete butt, since it's appropriate to the genre.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads