Character Sheet - condensed, reorganized, editable, auto-calculating (PDF)

About filling about the pdf...

It's possible using Adobe Acrobat 8 (full version) to allow people to fill out the pdf using Acrobat Reader 7 or 8. It's apparently _only_ if you've got Acrobat 8. I don't have 7 so I've got no idea about that version, but I know it doesn't exist in earlier ones.

What's the catch?

In order to do this, it looks like you won't have the form-fillable fields active. Which means _everything_ is going to be done by hand; no auto-calc, no drop downs, nada.

If you want to do this, go to Tools -> Typewriter -> Enable Typewriter.

In order to take advantage of this feature, the user apparently needs to have Acrobat 7 or 8. I'd personally go with Acrobat 7, as apparently Reader 8 likes to constantly check back with Adobe, and you can't force it to stop.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Two possible other things that might work for Mac users:

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

While it apparently shares a number of things in common with the Preview on Macs, it's possible that it'll actually allow a "full" viewing of a pdf.

http://www.codepoetry.net/projects/cups-pdf-for-mosx

Essentially a free print driver for the Mac that will Print to pdf. If you're not familiar with this sort of thing, it's pretty simple. You install one of these things, and it creates a "virtual" printer. Select "Print" just like you were going for a hard-copy, and you should see it as a printer. Simply choose it, and it will then "print" to a new pdf file. It opens a dialogue asking you where to save it and what to call it. A couple of clicks and you're done.

Hope something that I've posted works for someone.

F

Fungah

Well, I'm sorry some of you are having issues saving the PDF. I think the problem might be that I used Acrobat Professional 7.0 to make the sheet and you're using Reader 8.0 to read it, but I'm not sure. Rest assured, I'm trying to fix it!

ObsidianCrane

First Post
This looks great...best "sheet" I've seen yet.

Though really so far for me I'd much rather see a page for powers that has space for all the core information like they are presented in the books.

This is because Wizards have all their Cantrips as @Will abilities, Half-Elves can have over 6 Encounter Powers (eg Cleric or Paladin powers, and multiclass) and so on.

erik_the_guy

First Post
It's an amazing sheet, but since you are working on next version and taking suggestions...

Have a spot where the person enters their armor and the enhancement bonus (drop down tabs), and another spot for shields. This should allow you to automatically calculate the abil and armor bonuses to AC, and REF defense depending on light/heavy armor and whether they have a shield.

You could have a spot where you can choose feats from a drop down tab OR write them in manually. This would allow you to use toughness and calculate HP on the character sheet.

Using the above you could also calculate healing surges and surge value on the character sheet. Hell, if i knew more about PDFs I would do this stuff myself and send you the copy. This is better than a character editor.

If you are worried about calculating HP on the sheet, you could put a little check box to disable automatically calculating HP.

In the 'attack powers' area, when the character selects which ability the attack roll is based on, you could automatically put the ability modifier in the appropriate field.

You could automatically add racial bonuses to stats. This would be a bit more complex for humans I guess.

But wow, great sheet!

Remove ads