• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Submission Thread

SloppyJoe

First Post
Wow, thanks to both of you for looking William Drake over and approving him :).

To Aura: thats a smart trick with the silver arrows! Taking a look at the picture later, could be cool if it was on the top. By the way, thanks for all the good suggestions :).

To Mowgli: you are correct, the money is off. Will change that later today! Hehe, can't believe I did that with the thieves tools! And thanks, I thought it only apropriate to add the guards as fluff :).

resrick

First Post
Mr. Devlin, Alchemist Extraordinaire

Hello, this is my first character I've made on this forum and also my first time doing a PbP setting for pathfinder, but I do look forward to jumping in the World of E'n with you all and having some good times.

My character's name is Devlin. Since I don't have enough posts yet not allowed to link it.

Thanks!

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
My character's name is Devlin. Since I don't have enough posts yet not allowed to link it.

Thanks!

Greetings Devlin. When you get 10 posts you can make links. It is a safety feature the sight had to instill. Sorry. Welcome to Living Pathfinder community!

resrick

First Post
Greetings Devlin. When you get 10 posts you can make links. It is a safety feature the sight had to instill. Sorry. Welcome to Living Pathfinder community!

Not a problem at all...good idea to keep those pesky spam bots away. Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to joining y'all in some good ole face smashing, ale drinking, "Oh my God I blew someones face off!" fun.

Aura

Explorer
Pre-Review: Devlin
http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Devlin_(resrick)

Early in the review process, I encountered some issues which will cascade down significantly into other parts of the character. A lot of calculated abilities, like CMD, are going to change. So, instead, I'm going to focus on the issues that effect player choices.

(1) This is one of those cases where I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the costs paid for Abilities seems incorrect. The points referred to (of which you have 20), are spent on the chart on pg 16 of the Core Rulesbook. They are initially point-for-point from a base value of 10, but get progressively more expensive past 13. This means Devlin is most likely 'overspent'.

So you don't have to go searching, the costs are:
Stat: Cost
7: -4 pts
8: -2 pts
9: -1 pt
10: 0
11: 1 pt
12: 2 pts
13: 3 pts
14: 5 pts
15: 7 pts
16: 10 pts
17: 13 pts
18: 17 pts

A potential build which kinda holds the same overall priorities might be:
STR 8, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 14, with a floating +1 that can go in anything but INT and DEX, your choice.

(2) Halflings have access to a fairly advantageous racial called Fleet of Foot. It replaces Surefooted (+2 to Acrobatics and Climb) and, instead, gives +10' movement. If you love halflings, but don't like 20' base move, this is the racial trait for you.

(3) Good news: You get two traits at initial character generation, and didn't fill either. They can be used to add a little definition (and a +1 or +2 here or there) to your character. Check out the Advanced Player's Guide, the traits specifically approved here in LPF, and the 'general' traits where you can define them yourself (but in fairly limited means), found in the character generation section. Word of advice: Avoid going to online sources for traits, there are more that are not in LPF approved sources than actually are allowed. And a minor rule that 'catches' people is that you can't have more than 1 trait per category (although the LPF 'general' category is outside this rule.) One I might recommend (because bombing FIRST is more fun):

Reactionary (Combat): +2 initiative

I also noticed you have a pony and 1 pt in ride skill, so an example of a general trait:

Capable - Ride (General): +1 to Ride skill, and Ride becomes a class skill

Now you can ride pony and throw bombs first… from pony! Ohboy.

(4) More good news: The skill bonus for having 1 or more points in a class skill is +3, helping improve your skill rolls considerably.

I'm sure that puts a lot on your plate right there, and sorry about the whole stat thing. If you need any help on getting things straightened out, let me know.

Last edited:

resrick

First Post
First off, thank you a lot for the help and looking at my character sheet on that. Been a little bit since I made character in Pathfinder sadly so am a little out of my element, but that also prolly means I was doing it wrong to begin with =P

1) Yea that was my mistake on the numbers... I saw the 1 point for 11 2 points for 12 and 3 for 13 and just assumed it was the same all the way up. That one is an easy fix.

2) I will definetely consider changing it to that. Much better than me doing backflips and climbing walls like spiderpig.

3) HOLY CRAP!!! I didnt even see the traits thing. Thats a lot of extra right there for me. Also PONY BOMBS!!! YES!!!

4) Yea I saw the +3 for class skills if trained. Guess I missed a few of those. I will fix that.

Thanks a bunch for the help and will repost once i make the corrections on the sheet.

*edit* ok I think the character sheet should be good now. Adjusted the Abilitiy scores to proper points distribution, changed out the one feat for Fleet of Foot (great idea), found some tasty traits to add on and read up a little more on the skills and adjusted all the scores to be a little more accurate. Thanks again for the help

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
Reviewing Devlin (resrick)

What follows is a non-judge review of Devlin. Two approvals are necessary for LPF play (one must be a judge review.) I generally avoid editing your character sheet, otherwise just alerting you to what I have found. I make a good faith effort to be accurate, but if you disagree on a point, feel free to bring it up.

Potential Problems:
* Abilities are a lot closer now, but minor problems seem to persist. You had a cost of 12 listed for your INT 17, I think it is supposed to be 13. However, this still leaves 1 point left over for discretionary spending. You could use it to bump WIS to 12.
* As for languages, you're strangely missing Halfling from the list. You should know that one automatically. It's worth noting that you have a high INT and can choose 3 bonus languages accordingly, as per the languages allowed to halflings. Finally, being a non-Venzan allows you the choice of one regional tongue, which can be the Hagruut you list. So I think the net effect is add halfling and up to three languages from the list under the halfling race description.
* I'm unsure where the natural armor cited in AC and flatfooted AC comes from. If you are referring to your mutagen, it's not all the time, but it's worth +2 (not just +1). In that case, you might want to remove it from the base AC and list it as a conditional. AC values would need to be double checked in this case.
* The Bruising Intellect trait does not seem to be on the list of approved traits. The references I find for it list it as Ultimate Campaign, which hasn't been approved for LPF play. I wouldn't advise it much, anyway: Intimidate has a -4 penalty for being smaller than the person you're trying to effect. Assuming it is not from an approved source that I don't know of, the skill line will need to be changed as well.
* With so much gear (particularly the adventuring kits), you're going to end up encumbered. You might want to offload more onto the pony to fit into the weight limit (26 lbs) so you can still run around at 30'. One place you can also get savings for yourself is by splitting your sling bullet supply between your personal and extras on the pony.
* I think your strength modifier applies to sling damage, which is going to put a -1 on your damage at the current value (8).

Notation Issues/Typos/Calculated Values:
* The bonus from INT 17 should be +3, up from +2.
* Hit points appear low at 8. Regardless of rolling method for HP, you get max at first level, so you should have 10.
* The -1 penalty for small size to CMB/CMD would be more clear/consistent as a size modifier.
* Looks like the deleted Sure Footed text got munged into the Fleet of Foot text. I recommend deleting it.
* Bonus skills from class are often also listed in the Feat list for clarity.
* The CS column of your skills appear to still have '1' listed for class skills, although the total values now reflect 3. I recommend (for clarity) changing to 3 if a skill point is invested, * if it is not. Then the lines total up.
* The ability for Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, and Handle Animal appear to be incorrect, should be based on Cha. However, total is correct on all.
* The Ability for Craft appears to be incorrect, should be based on Int. The total goes up accordingly. Fixed.
* The Ability for Sleight of hand appears incorrect, should be based on Dex. It's not usable trained, so it won't help you at the moment, but maybe later, since it's a class skill.
* Professions, curiously, do not seem to allow untrained use.
* Stealth gets a +4 size bonus for small characters. :)
* Certain items are quarter weight when scaled to a halfling, such as a backpack. Armor and weapons are half weight. And you seem to have forgot to account the cost of the backpack.
* The table lists the max weights for STR 8 as 26/53/80. The defaults listed are for STR 18.
* After changes, you'll need to retotal your gp/lb columns on Equipment.

Suggestions:
* You'll want to carry some sort of melee weapon. If it does't appear in either of your kits, a dagger would be a good idea.
* With your low STR, you may be interested in the DEX mutagen. It will bump your AC two more, and increase accuracy of bombs/slings.
* You may want to consider bumping your STR to 10. More sling damage and carrying capacity.

Commentary:
* Ages stated (in background story and current age) don't appear to be scaled to halfling timescales. 19 is a bit young for a trained type of class (Advanced Race Guide clarifies which categories the APG classes fall into in the age system, alchemists are in with wizards and such so 20+4d6 is the suggestion for a halfling alchemist.) I'd recommend setting to the lower side of the range, perhaps 26-ish.
* This is going to be a challenging character to play. A lot of alchemists have 'turn into a hulking monster and do lots of melee damage' as a fallback ability, and you do not. I advise working your pedigree as a ranged character.

Anyway, NOT YET, but getting closer.

Bojingo

First Post
Ungajinga

Hey guys, just joined and finished my character. It's currently awaiting approval, but i'll welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks all

resrick

First Post
Mr. Devlin, The ever curious Alchemist

Well I am back and again and first off I want to give a huge thanks to you Aura for the help. I think (I know thats very dangerous) I have finally corrected the mistakes in my character sheet. Here is a quick review on the edits I made based on your comments and such previously:

Abilities: DURN YOU MATH!!! I FINALLY got the scores adjusted to my liking and in a more balanced way I do believe. 12, 16, 12,16,10, and 10. With all the pluses and minuses halfling I was able to get into a pretty decent area with it.
Languages: I looked everywhere for the amount of languages and never found it, but I am pretty sure you are right on that so added those needed ones.
Natural Armor: Im not even sure what I was typing at the time on that. Extra armor for being witty maybe???
Traits: Once again, thats what I get for not reading everything. I changed out Bruising Intellect for Reactionary for a little more init
Gear: That took a lot of adjusting but finally got it squared away. Put everything into a better format for if it was on my pony or in my backpack. Was thinking of carrying the pony myself but that seemed a little counterproductive.
STRENGTH: As stated about abilities, I adjusted that one to be much better. I figure I can always possibly drink my potions and become a monstrous brute down the road.
HP: As for the 10 hp, I couldnt find that anywhere. It says that I get d8 hit points per level so with max hp for first would be 8. Just let me know where to find that if im wrong.

Pretty much took most of your advice and adjusted a lot of it to be more coherent. Just let me know if anything else needs adjusting.

P.S. Thank you for not changing anything on the wiki for me. Being able to do it myself helps me to get the rules down and figure out the things on my own. Im more of a hands on learner so looking up everything and making the adjustments helps me to get it into me head better. Thanks again

Aura

Explorer
resrick,

Looks like you did a lot of work, I'll take a look tonight. I went back and examined the HP issue--I had mistakenly thought you put your favored class option into HP. So I figured 8 (hit die) + 1 (CON) + 1 (FC). However, I'm not sure you assigned your FC bonus anywhere--you should have either one extra HP or one extra skill point. (You get one such option every time you level in your Favored Class, including level 1.) So you could put it into HP and have 10 HP, otherwise, you'd still have a minor bump from CON to 9.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads