• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Submission Thread

Psylence

First Post
Pretty well done. I didn't find any errors at first glance.

Couple of suggestions before I approve:
1. Odd ability scores are yucky. Yes, you save a little on ability point buy now, and you can even them out later, but later is about a year later for your first +1, and about two years later for your second +1. My advice is to even out as much as possible at character generation.
2. In before Satin Knights: Buy a dagger!
3. A picture is always nice, and many GMs require one so they can make map tokens with them. I've uploaded a placeholder. Since you actually provided a detailed description, I tried to find a pic that more-or-less matched it, instead of my usual tactic of giving you some incentive to find your own by uploading a picture of a dwarf in polyester disco pants.
4. There are a bunch of archetypes approved for play if you don't want to go vanilla alchemist. Many of them don't suck, but this is up to you.
5. In your background, you said that your mentor had gone to 'sleep with the fishes,' which confused the hell out of me, because 'sleep with the fishes' means 'die,' often with the connotation of being assassinated by the Mafia. Like what happened to Luca Brasi in the Godfather.

1. Good to note, I'll take care of that now.
2. I did! I bought a punching dagger. ;)
3. Nicely done! I like it. I'll still keep my eyes out for one, just in case (it was one of the things I had planned today).
4. Oh? Where are the approved archetypes? I was trying to find them.
5. Actually 'swim with the fishes'. It was a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor at making a few comments that sounded like he died, only to clarify that he just simple retired in a place where he could do all those things.

Systole

First Post
Alchemist - Pathfinder_OGC

Archetypes are listed at the bottom of the page. As far as I know, all the Paizo archetypes are approved, including Grenadier.

I got that on the second read, but it wasn't immediately clear whether the joke was "I'm kidding about retirement -- actually, he died" or "I'm kidding about dying -- actually, he retired." At least, not until the next paragraph, and even then I was half-wondering whether he came back as a zombie alchemist bomber guy. (If this sounds far-fetched, read a couple other PC backgrounds. There are some .... imaginative ones out there.)

Psylence

First Post
Alchemist - Pathfinder_OGC

Archetypes are listed at the bottom of the page. As far as I know, all the Paizo archetypes are approved, including Grenadier.

I got that on the second read, but it wasn't immediately clear whether the joke was "I'm kidding about retirement -- actually, he died" or "I'm kidding about dying -- actually, he retired." At least, not until the next paragraph, and even then I was half-wondering whether he came back as a zombie alchemist bomber guy. (If this sounds far-fetched, read a couple other PC backgrounds. There are some .... imaginative ones out there.)

I was originally designing this guy as a Grenadier. I just thought, based on what it said in the character creation, that I couldn't use that archetype! Well, if that's the case. WOOHOO!

2nd - I'm stealing that idea.

Satin Knights

First Post
Looking at Dyre Blackreef, I noticed one thing. An alchemist starts with 2 formulae plus his INT modifier. So, you get two more. Ditto on what Systole said about the odd stats. Now, for Arianna, sleeping with the fishes has a whole different connotation. ;)

Suggestion: Comprehend Languages is not an everyday spell. It is good to add later, but probably wouldn't be the first thing to learn when you have a limited selection. Bomber's Eye seems more appropriate.

Psylence

First Post
Looking at Dyre Blackreef, I noticed one thing. An alchemist starts with 2 formulae plus his INT modifier. So, you get two more. Ditto on what Systole said about the odd stats. Now, for Arianna, sleeping with the fishes has a whole different connotation. ;)

Suggestion: Comprehend Languages is not an everyday spell. It is good to add later, but probably wouldn't be the first thing to learn when you have a limited selection. Bomber's Eye seems more appropriate.

Ahhh, okay. I read it as being the charts combined. Which the chart in the APG says they get 1 at level 1. And his Int gives him 1 additional level 0 and 1 additional level 1. Hence where I thought it was 2 total. 4, however, I can get behind. I think that I may have confused 'learned' versus 'prepared'. Thanks for clearing that up.

As far as the stats, I had changed them. They changed back on me! Alright, that's changed again. Also added 2 more spells. Lastly, I decided to pick up a Cutlass with my added Martial Weapon Proficiency. It's from the Pathfinder Player Companion: Pirates of the Inner Sea. I didn't see that on the list of approved, but it seems to just be a scimitar with a different name. Wasn't sure if that would be alright, but I think it fits the character a bit better and, as I said, scimitar with a different name.

Edit: Also, I was hoping someone could clear this up for me. In the creating of a character bit, it talks about making alchemy items, does that mean all my extracts cost the same as a potion of that type instead of the spell cost? Or is it for something else.

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
No, they're talking about sunrods and tanglefoot bags when they refer to alchemical items. We have some wierd rule in place that overrides that ... I think.

According to our general rules, Grenadier would not be allowed, but it was approved as a special case a couple months back.

Cutlass is the mechanically identical to scimitar, so whatever you call it is fine by me.

Psylence

First Post
No, they're talking about sunrods and tanglefoot bags when they refer to alchemical items. We have some wierd rule in place that overrides that ... I think.

According to our general rules, Grenadier would not be allowed, but it was approved as a special case a couple months back.

Cutlass is the mechanically identical to scimitar, so whatever you call it is fine by me.

Okay, got it. Yeah, the rule is that if you make the alchemy item, you pay it's cost in materials. That's probably to cut down on exploiting the system, makes sense to me. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't for all my extracts too, because then that would hurt the class a lot.

As far as the grenadier, good to know. Same with the Cutlass. Figured that the cutlass wouldn't be an issue since, as you said, it's mechanically identical to a scimitar in price, weight, damage, etc.

Satin Knights

First Post
Reviewing Dyre Blackreef:
a) I reformatted a lot. Some browsers have different fonts which lead to slightly longer text lines than others. So, I trimmed back a lot of text to give a 2-3 character buffer before the borders.
b) All characters get a "regional language" if they are human and not from Venza (common). Ship Rat, aka Pirate, seemed most appropriate to fit in there, even though it is not an official one.
c) I too will approve calling a scimitar carried by a pirate a cutlass. ;)
d) Since I had to look up "Lamellar Curiass", I labelled it as armor.
e) You didn't have the long coat specified in your inventory. Fixed.
f) I inserted a __NOTOC__ at the top, to remove the table of contents and adjusted the picture size a bit. I also removed the "posted by..." in it by changing from thumb to right|SIZEpx.

Dyre Blackreef has his first APPROVAL of two. Any player can do the second review at first level. You have enough now that Dyre can enter the Dunn Wright Inn and start socializing.

Psylence

First Post
Wow, thank you. I appreciate you taking care of the formatting for me as well as the other additions. It's much appreciated. I'll go post in the Dunn Wright Inn to go say 'Hi' and maybe see if I can drop a bad pirate joke or two.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads