• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Submission Thread

Cyclopean

First Post
Regarding Gazrak:
1) Although you get Common, Orc, and HaGruut as free languages, if you want to know Draconic, you need to either buy a rank in linguistics or have an int mod of +1.
2) Your traits come from Ultimate Campaign, which is not an approved source (probably because the book is so new). You'll either need to submit an appeal to the judges or choose new traits. I have no idea if Intimidating Prowess is approved or not; I hope it is, because it's pretty sweet how you have already have +12 to intimidate.
3) As I was told when I made my first character, you should probably buy a dagger. It's hard to skin a rabbit with a bardiche.
4) It looks like you plan on taking levels in sorcerer at some point, and possibly the dragon disciple prestige class. Depending on how far you plan on going down that road, you may want to stick with the ferocity racial trait, since draconic bloodline/dragon disciple will eventually give you a bite attack anyway.
5) Your finances were a bit off. Also, your bedroll and rations do add weight--ten pounds total, which keeps you at light encumbrance, so no worries there. Fixed and standardized formatting.

All in all, it's looking like you've got a great concept that just needs a bit of mechanical fine-tuning. However, the trait and language issues mean that this is a NOT YET.

GlassEye

Adventurer
(1) Does a reach weapon from a small character still have 2 square reach?
(2) How tough/technical are you guys on stowing weapons to use abilities then redrawing? Some are more strict than others.
(3) The Feat Extra Channel gives Paladins +4 Lay on Hands on the logic that Paladins pay 2 Lay on Hands per Channel. However, Hospitilars do not, they actually have their own pool of Channels like a Cleric. Does this mean the feat works normally, +2 Channels for them? (Not exactly a L1 question, but figured I'd ask now)

Welcome to ENWorld and LPF!

Paladin isn't a class I've seen too often around here so that would be an interesting addition. I'll take a stab at answering your questions.
1) I'm not aware of any modifications to reach for small characters. A reach weapon for small should still be able to hit targets at 10 feet (though not at 5 feet).
2) Sheathing and drawing a weapon are both move actions (though drawing a weapon can be combined with a Move). Yes, we play it.
3) Extra Channel would give 2 extra uses of the Channel Energy ability.

Boat Nectar

First Post
Regarding Gazrak:
1) Although you get Common, Orc, and HaGruut as free languages, if you want to know Draconic, you need to either buy a rank in linguistics or have an int mod of +1.
2) Your traits come from Ultimate Campaign, which is not an approved source (probably because the book is so new). You'll either need to submit an appeal to the judges or choose new traits. I have no idea if Intimidating Prowess is approved or not; I hope it is, because it's pretty sweet how you have already have +12 to intimidate.
3) As I was told when I made my first character, you should probably buy a dagger. It's hard to skin a rabbit with a bardiche.
4) It looks like you plan on taking levels in sorcerer at some point, and possibly the dragon disciple prestige class. Depending on how far you plan on going down that road, you may want to stick with the ferocity racial trait, since draconic bloodline/dragon disciple will eventually give you a bite attack anyway.
5) Your finances were a bit off. Also, your bedroll and rations do add weight--ten pounds total, which keeps you at light encumbrance, so no worries there. Fixed and standardized formatting.

All in all, it's looking like you've got a great concept that just needs a bit of mechanical fine-tuning. However, the trait and language issues mean that this is a NOT YET.

Thanks for the feedback! I moved a skill point to linguistics so I could pick up draconic, and I bought a dagger. I decided to keep toothy, as I wont get another bite attack until 7th level or so, and the extra attack is pretty important at lower levels I think, especially on a character build giving up so much BAB.

Also, I know it says ultimate campaign on the pathfinder srd page for those traits, but I believe they must have been reprinted in that book and are originally from the APG. If you search "Magical Knack" on the wiki it turns up a handful of characters (older than the ultimate campaign book) that already have that trait.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Magical knack from APG:

Magical Knack: You were raised, either wholly or in part,
by a magical creature, either after it found you abandoned
in the woods or because your parents often left you in the
care of a magical minion. This constant exposure to magic
has made its mysteries easy for you to understand, even
when you turn your mind to other devotions and tasks. Pick
a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that
class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn’t
raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice.

jkason

First Post
Reviewing Gazrak

* I came up with 78 lbs for weight carried, but it doesn't affect your load level, so no worries. Fixed.

I know Magical Knack's been around for awhile, so no worries on the trait. Everything looks good to me, so I APPROVE him for first level. You just need one more for full approval, though if there's still a spot in To Bee or Not To Bee, you can probably jump over there for the early RP. You should check there.

Cyclopean

First Post
Since the traits aren't an issue after all, Gazrak is officially APPROVED. Welcome to LPF! I definitely recommend joining To Bee or Not To Bee; your character would fit right in to the developing party dynamic (so far we have two half-orcs, two barbarians, and my character has the lowest charisma at a paltry 14).

Aura

Explorer
Thanks for the responses, GlassEye.

First draft of my character is prepared: Charity_(Aura)

I am assuming using artwork from whatever source is allowed, looking over the artwork used on others. I certainly did not create my own (kudos to those can did).

PS: Do I 'need' Use Magic Device to have full access to healing devices as a cleric would have? I'm not used to semi-spellcasters.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Aura, I would like to answer that, But I do not see your character in the awaiting approval section. Wher is iy? Remember, do not try and post any form of a link until you have 10 posts.

if you tell me what class the character is, I can answer the UMD question.

Aura

Explorer
I didn't think to move the character to the awaiting approval section. Let me see if I can figure that out. I've been doing a lot of 'learn as you go'.

PS: Hospitilar Paladin
PPS: Moved Charity to awaiting approval section.

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
To use the 'Cure Light Wounds' wand, no, you don't need UMD. The Cure Light Wounds spell is on a paladin's spell list, so you can use a wand of it without having to resort to UMD. As long as a spell is available on the class spell list is the qualifier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads