• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Characters that act like Pro Wrestlers

Ostler

First Post
I'm working on an idea...

I have this image of a group of adventurers sitting in a tavern waiting to meet someone.

A person enters the tavern looks around and loudly shouts "Well, it's the big show!".

(or maybe "Do you smell what the Rock is cooking?")

Several minstrels burst through the door as pyrotechnics flash, and begin playing music.

Then an extravagantly dressed man enters.

He takes time to wave to the other people in the tavern as he strides over to the group. Then he loudly talks to them as though no one else is in the tavern. (Very vain, "Don't mind them they're just common folk.")

Good idea? Bad idea?

Seems like it would drive the group crazy, especially if they're trying to keep a low profile or don't want their current adventure known to others. Or if he keeps showing up...

I'm not sure what classes to give him though. Any ideas?

drdevoid

Explorer
Just remember to have good charisma, those Bluff (for feignting or negotiating for more pay:p) and Perform checks in front of crowds are important. Especially if you use rules for working the crowd and improving your cut or your modifiers in combat.

The most important things not mentioned in that thread (Wow, somebody else plugged one of my threads!) is that the main reason for going monk (as far as I'm concerned) is that you don't suffer the -4 penalty to change an unarmed strike (or grapple damage) from subdual to normal as well as the higher damage dice, of course. It's automatic for the monk but no one else even with improved unarmed strike. That and the Close Quarters Fighting Feat(S&F) is neat as is Clever Wrestling Feat(MotW) but you have to be a bear (other large creature) wrestler or expect other people to be grappling as well. Otherwise, it doesn't really come into play (I sort of failed to explain in the thread that I was making a bear wrestler, so I keep pushing for it inexplicably) Anyway, Dremens suggestions are top notch.

Ostler

First Post
Mark said:

ahem... it's OStler :D

Just sitting around waiting for a certain FOCUS to come out... Starting a new campaign in the new year and looking for a nice town to start in or visit...

Not so subtle Hint:

http://www.creativemountaingames.com/#focusjalston

Drums fingers impatiently... :D

(Actually I'm wanting to create a character that is vain, overconfident, arrogant, etc. Much like Pro Wrestlers. Just trying to figure out what class/race combo would work best... But thanks for the link.) :D :D :D

drdevoid

Explorer
Race/Class Combos

Well, I would think Half-Orc Barbarian (very gruff with a swagger loves to talk trash, picture an Arnold accent- "Puny Human! I tear you apart!") or Wood Elf Ranger or Barbarian (very Haughty, polished woodsman- "No! That's not how you grapple in the real world.") After that, as ridiculous as it may sound, a halfling rogue. He's very athletic and outgoing and walks around like he owns the place tumbling around and punching in the kidneys ("You know, the bigger, Dumber, and uglier they are; the harder they fall. Oh, and they always fall . . .")

A friend of my has some NPC 1st level wrestlers if it helps:

http://the-never.net/moshbrothers.html

Anyway, that sounds more like what you are looking for than my earlier post. Hope it helps.

G.A. Donis

First Post
One of the games I played in had a character based on the Rock. I have to say he did him pretty well. Having said that, it ended up being very annoying. On the light side, I meta-gamed a little bit and my character always called his character "Dewayne". Maybe it wasn't the fault of the wrestler personality (a lot of this guys characters were annoying), but everybody was pretty happy when that character died. I've always thought that bringing real life personalities into the game was somewhat distracting and often time brought players "out of the moment" while playing. Bottom line, if it's fun and everybody enjoys it then do it. :)

jdavis

First Post
Real world characters can be annoying, I played a character once who was designed around Lorenzo Lamas from the TV show Renagade, after a while it even annoyed me.

As far as NPCs who annoy the characters go, try designing the Mayor of the Town around Vince McMahan, he could loudly rant at the PCs over everything, claim he could do anything he wanted because the city was his, Bluster about what a mighty warrior he was, and then the first time the PC's find him without his guards around he could break down and run away, only to come back later with more guards and angry because they made him look like a fool. Repeat as necessary until good characters are thinking about a alignment change just so they can murder him. He could even have a actual Bard follow him around just to play him into a room, and basket carrying maidens to throw rose petals on the floor in front of him.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Ostler said:

ahem... it's OStler :D

Oopsie! Sorry bout that. I'm gonna go ahead and blame that on the post-oral surgery medication. Heck, I had to spell it enough times in the seminar and chat sessions transcripts, to mess it up now is boneheaded! ;)

Ostler said:
Just sitting around waiting for a certain FOCUS to come out... Starting a new campaign in the new year and looking for a nice town to start in or visit...

Not so subtle Hint:

http://www.creativemountaingames.com/#focusjalston

Drums fingers impatiently... :D

(Actually I'm wanting to create a character that is vain, overconfident, arrogant, etc. Much like Pro Wrestlers. Just trying to figure out what class/race combo would work best... But thanks for the link.) :D :D :D

Ah, yes. The Focus - Jalston! A much larger and more intricate project than when it began, I can only tell you it is well on the way to completion, yet no firm date can be given. I do apologize to you, and others, for that but I do want it to be the best it can be before release. I am sure that you will love the final product, though. Thanks for your patience. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads