• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge attacks and Tripping

IceBear

Explorer
jlhorner1974 said:
That's the real crux of the issue, isn't it? It seems everyone agrees that the charging attacker still gets his attack, but there are several interpretations on what condition the attacker is in (prone or not, still charging or not) when he finally gets to resolve his original charge attack.

I thank you and AR for your opinions, and I think they both make sense. Without an official ruling, I suppose it is up to the DM's interpretation.

I can't believe nobody has asked this before.

Want to make it more complicated? Doesn't the tripper take an AoO for trying to trip the charger (I'm really rule rusty right now, but I thought so)? Also, since the charger and the tripper are essentially on the same initiative count (the tripper is just slightly ahead), I don't have much problem with the charger still being in the "charging state" when he attacks.

jlhorner1974

First Post
IceBear said:
Want to make it more complicated? Doesn't the tripper take an AoO for trying to trip the charger (I'm really rule rusty right now, but I thought so)? Also, since the charger and the tripper are essentially on the same initiative count (the tripper is just slightly ahead), I don't have much problem with the charger still being in the "charging state" when he attacks.

Ugh. I wasn't really trying to make it complicated to begin with, but you bring up a valid point.

I guess the charger goes first then, taking his AoO in response to the trip. Then the tripper goes next, taking his readied action to trip. (At this point, the charger may or may not be prone, depending on your interpretation.) Finally, the attacker makes his charge attack.

In my specific case, the tripper will have improved trip, which helps simplify things. :)

I guess I just see tripping as a good counter to a charge attack -- if someone is rushing at me at full speed, their guard is probably high... so, I dodge to the side at the last second and trip them.

IceBear

Explorer
jlhorner1974 said:
Ugh. I wasn't really trying to make it complicated to begin with, but you bring up a valid point.

I guess the charger goes first then, taking his AoO in response to the trip. Then the tripper goes next, taking his readied action to trip. (At this point, the charger may or may not be prone, depending on your interpretation.) Finally, the attacker makes his charge attack.

In my specific case, the tripper will have improved trip, which helps simplify things. :)

I guess I just see tripping as a good counter to a charge attack -- if someone is rushing at me at full speed, their guard is probably high... so, I dodge to the side at the last second and trip them.

I'm a really easy going DM. If the first time this came up in my campaign it was for a player trying to avoid the charge I'd be fine with it (and then we have a campaign precedent). If the first time it happened the player was the charger and argued for it, I'd go the other way :)

By the rules, I think breaking the charge is more correct as instead of being fluid motion (as in reality) it is broken down into chunks. In your turn you tripped him. When his turn starts he is prone, no charging.

AGGEMAM

First Post
The question is quite simple really by the rules. The readied action interrupts the charge but doesn't prevent it. So you get your charge attack in while prone.

How to describe it is more tricky however. I'd say that because you're making the attack while being tripped you're off-balnce when making it and therefore the -4 penalty for being prone is assigned.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:
The question is quite simple really by the rules. The readied action interrupts the charge but doesn't prevent it. So you get your charge attack in while prone.

How to describe it is more tricky however. I'd say that because you're making the attack while being tripped you're off-balnce when making it and therefore the -4 penalty for being prone is assigned.

That works too :) See, easy going :)

Diirk

First Post
Considering he's prone and has just charged and is therefore at -6 AC I don't think its unreasonable to throw him a bone and let him attack at only -2 instead of -4

btw, Tripping doesn't cause an AoO.

And I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my earlier posts, but if Person B is attacking while he's being tripped, that warrants, IMO, the same penalty as him he was prone, as AGGEMAN suggested it.

AR

IceBear

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
btw, Tripping doesn't cause an AoO.

And I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my earlier posts, but if Person B is attacking while he's being tripped, that warrants, IMO, the same penalty as him he was prone, as AGGEMAN suggested it.

AR

TRIP
You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack. You can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.
Making a Trip Attack: Make an unarmed melee touch attack against your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target as normal for unarmed attacks.

The rest I agree with

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Diirk said:
Considering he's prone and has just charged and is therefore at -6 AC I don't think its unreasonable to throw him a bone and let him attack at only -2 instead of -4

Not to mention any Charge-related benefits, like the +2d6 damage for Rhino Hide armor, or the Full Attack if the creature tripped was a lion executing a Pounce, for example.

They've fulfilled all the criteria for a Charge; they just happen to be prone by the time the attack occurs.

And exception would be if they are only Charging ten feet (the minimum), but your Readied action triggers when they've moved five feet, and you 5'-step forward and trip them.

They cannot attack you, since they have not moved the minimum distance, and since they've used a full round action (Charge), they can neither stand up (requiring a move action) nor attack from prone (requiring a standard action) this round.

Another exception would be a character using the Spirited Charge feat, where the Trip attack pulls him from his mount. By the time his attack occurs, he is no longer "mounted and using the Charge action"; he is dismounted and using the Charge action, so the double damage from the feat is inapplicable.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
I would not allow it. To charge, "You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement"

They define what "clear path" means, but I don't see any examples for "hinder your movement" I think somewhere it says that if you require a balance check you can't charge, but I can't find it. I'd say if you were tripped and have fallen face down on the ground, your movement has been hindered and you can't charge. Thinking about it, I might even extend this to a failed trip, since the opposed roll might be something that hinders your movement... Hmm.

Remove ads