• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge vs. Partial Charge

Iku Rex

Explorer
Virago said:
No "during the charge" restriction. You try again.
It is written under "Movement during a charge". It is clear that the movement they are talking about is "movement during a charge".

Unfortunately, "my" quote (You must move before your attack, not after.) also comes from the same paragraph. :(

That makes the "I charge 30' with my reach weapon, attack, then move 30' back" example far more relevant.

But when I think about it, it doesn't really "break" anything to allow it. If a character keeps doing this he can be feinted out by good use of the "ready" action. Ready a 5' diagonal step forward and attack when the charging character is 10' away. Ouch. Or the opponent could just move (or charge) into melee range.

Or you could say that a charge ends (all) your movement for the round, which is implied in the rules anyway.

Virago

First Post
Unfortunately, "my" quote (You must move before your attack, not after.) also comes from the same paragraph. :(

That was my point. ;)

Re: (partial charge, move)
Ready a 5' diagonal step forward and attack when the charging character is 10' away. Ouch.

The ready action you suggest is effective against all charging reach weapons. If you ready an attack-and-step back you have feinted out all charging with non-reach weapons, too.

And the defender cannot move in order to be able to ready a 5' step. The attacker has no such restriction and has basically made the defender lose his turn in response to the threat of a possible free attack.

Or the opponent could just move (or charge) into melee range.

Then he eats an AoO and the reach weapon guy has achieved a free attack. And maybe, as his AoO, he trips...

Or you could say that a charge ends (all) your movement for the round, which is implied in the rules anyway.

Implied as much as is the no-L charge ;) Anyway this amounts to saying "no (partial charge, move)" which is what I suggested earlier.

I'm not saying the charge spring-attack is going to break anyone's game, but I think it's clear that it's a legal action in a SA=PA+MEA system without some awfully selective reading of the charge rules. However, if you're allowing (partial run, partial charge) (and perhaps therefore [partial charge, partial run]) for a 3x speed L-shaped charge, it might not seem like a big deal.

Gromm

First Post
Mean DM said:
Can someone help me with partial charging? Is it the same as a regular charge but only at normal movement (+2 Att and -2 AC).

Basically its a rule they put in to allow slowed creatures and zombies to attack things. Without it a slowed character could never attack anyone since they could just double move away.

For the record you can ONLY partial charge if you have ONLY a partial action to work with (ie slowed).

If you were hasted you might be able to use it as well, though I'd have to look it up to be sure on that one. I lean towards not being able to.

Remove ads