• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Charging provokes attacks of opportunity."

Victoly

First Post
This little sentence from the KotSF quick-start rules has had me wondering for a while about exactly what is meant. The way I see it, there are two reasonable interpretations here, but I'd like a reference to a definite answer if at all possible.

Either "charging provokes attacks of opportunity" means that 'charging' is a distinct type of movement - like shifting or teleporting - and that monsters you charge past can make opportunity attacks against you...

or it means that the target of your charge attack gets to make an opportunity attack against you after you have resolved your charge.

I'm inclined to think that my first interpretation is what's intended, but the phrasing itself is vague and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject (or get pointers to an 'official' answer if at all possible). Thanks!

Note: I haven't played the adventure yet, nor have I read past the pre-gen characters. Our group is planning on running the adventure with our own characters once the books come out, and I'm not going to be the DM for it so I haven't spoiled it for myself - so if the answer lies in the DM section somewhere, that explains why I haven't seen it.

Ravingdork

Explorer
Victoly said:
This little sentence from the KotSF quick-start rules has had me wondering for a while about exactly what is meant. The way I see it, there are two reasonable interpretations here, but I'd like a reference to a definite answer if at all possible.

Either "charging provokes attacks of opportunity" means that 'charging' is a distinct type of movement - like shifting or teleporting - and that monsters you charge past can make opportunity attacks against you...

or it means that the target of your charge attack gets to make an opportunity attack against you after you have resolved your charge.

I'm inclined to think that my first interpretation is what's intended, but the phrasing itself is vague and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject (or get pointers to an 'official' answer if at all possible). Thanks!

Note: I haven't played the adventure yet, nor have I read past the pre-gen characters. Our group is planning on running the adventure with our own characters once the books come out, and I'm not going to be the DM for it so I haven't spoiled it for myself - so if the answer lies in the DM section somewhere, that explains why I haven't seen it.

From my understanding, you can charge up to your speed +2 and make a basic melee attack as a standard action. You grant combat advantage to everyone until your next turn (and maybe take a hit to your AC as well). If you ALSO provoke, I wonder why anyone would ever bother charging!

themilkman

First Post
I'd say that your first interpretation is the correct one. The way it is written in KotS is rather poor. There is no reason why charging should provoke an OA from the target, but there are plenty of reasons why charging should provoke OAs from the creatures in the path of your charge.

Yet another thing that seemed perfectly clear and obvious before we had the rules for KotS written down. I imagine (and hope) that the PHB rules are written a bit more explicitly.

Traken

First Post
Congratulations, you've discovered the Charging OA conundrum. It is plaguing as all. :)

In short: No one knows 100% yet.

My say: It's been confirmed by a Dev somewhere, that the only things that cause OAs are Movement through or out of a threatened square and Ranged/Area attacks. Seeing as how charging is neither a Ranged nor Area attack, it doesn't matter on count 2.

So the only reason that sentence is there (imo) is to prevent people from saying they can run through an army without someone swinging at them.

Mort_Q

First Post
Charging provokes opportunity attacks just like any non-shift form of movement. That is, if you move through a threatened square on the way to your target.

You first assessment is correct.

Targets of a charge only get an opportunity attack if they have an interrupt or feat of some sort.

Traken said:
It's been confirmed by a Dev somewhere, that the only things that cause OAs are Movement through or out of a threatened square and Ranged/Area attacks. Seeing as how charging is neither a Ranged nor Area attack, it doesn't matter on count 2.

So the only reason that sentence is there (imo) is to prevent people from saying they can run through an army without someone swinging at them.

This. Charging provokes in exactly the same way other movement provokes; no more, no less.

Vendark

First Post
raven_dark64 said:
From my understanding, you can charge up to your speed +2 and make a basic melee attack as a standard action. You grant combat advantage to everyone until your next turn (and maybe take a hit to your AC as well). If you ALSO provoke, I wonder why anyone would ever bother charging!

You're actually combining the charge action with the run action (+2 move, give combat advantage), which the KotS rules don't actually say you can do, but it seems like a reasonable thing to allow.

(Has it been confirmed how long the combat advantage from running lasts? Is it until your next turn, or is it just during the run itself?)

Valerion Steele

First Post
Vendark said:
You're actually combining the charge action with the run action (+2 move, give combat advantage), which the KotS rules don't actually say you can do, but it seems like a reasonable thing to allow.

(Has it been confirmed how long the combat advantage from running lasts? Is it until your next turn, or is it just during the run itself?)

i think it´s untill your next turn...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think it's really poorly worded. It's not exactly a stretch to say "movement from a charge provokes oportunity attacks." Not to mention that the charge is already described as "move up to your speed, make a basic attack" so it's already crystal clear that the movement provokes, as it is by definition MOVEMENT as opposed to a special type. It really, really seems to suggest that the charge itself provokes, in spite of that not being the case.

Fitz

Remove ads