• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charisma based feat

mcnathan80

First Post
I saw somewhere that there was a feat that allowed a d-born to use charisma for hp rather than con. is that true and where is that feat?

WalterKovacs

First Post
There is a background for warlocks in the scales of war that allows you to substitute your best stat for con when determining initial HP.

In Ecology of Dragonborn there is Dragonborn Zeal, but it gives you a daily power with healing tied to your charisma, but doesn't change your HP.

The backgroup Impultur allows any character hailing from there to use their Wisdom [if it's better than their con] to determine starting HP.

Thay uses Intelligence in the same way. The last two are from Forgotten Realms Player's Guide.

Foxman

First Post
The Races of War all have "recommended" classes but are not requirments. This is a good one from there:

Auspicious Birth
[FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]
I was born on the slopes of Mount Emberstare during an eclipse, when the moon turned as red as blood.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]
The circumstances of your birth were somehow blessed, and you grew up knowing you were somehow set apart and special. Who regards your birth as auspicious? Are you tied to a specific prophecy, and if so, what does it say?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]H[FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]ow were you treated differently as a child?
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]
Benefit:
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]You substitute your highest ability score for Constitution to determine your initial hit points.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]
Good Background:
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]Cleric.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Gort

Explorer
Wow, that seems like an incredibly good feat (in the right situations). Constitution doesn't do a great deal except for specific builds (infernal warlock, hammer fighter etc) bar providing hitpoints.

Dump your constitution down to 8, get your primary stat up to 20, enjoy your 12 free hitpoints.

Kordeth

First Post
Wow, that seems like an incredibly good feat (in the right situations). Constitution doesn't do a great deal except for specific builds (infernal warlock, hammer fighter etc) bar providing hitpoints.

Dump your constitution down to 8, get your primary stat up to 20, enjoy your 12 free hitpoints.

Also enjoy your whopping 5 healing surges with which to recover those 12 free hit points, and being ravaged by every disease in the known world. :) I wonder what the Endurance DCs on dysentery are....

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
There's obviously a trade involved, but I'm uncomfortable with inflating the value of stats that way. I think those feats deserve closer scrutiny.

Kordeth

First Post
There's obviously a trade involved, but I'm uncomfortable with inflating the value of stats that way. I think those feats deserve closer scrutiny.

Minor point: it's a character background, not a feat. Theoretically, the background abilities should all be neat effects you can't get any other way, which helps balance the fact that you only get one of them. Unfortunately, while there are some nice little gems (like a "self-reliant" type who gets a +2 to saves when there's no ally within 5 squares, or a mercenary who doesn't die until he fails four death saves), a lot of them are just a +1 bonus to two skills or a +2 bonus to one, while a couple get the ability to use Creation rituals without having the Ritual Caster feat. Ultimately, the "highest ability in place of Con" pretty much trumps most of the other options presented in that article.

Gort

Explorer
Also enjoy your whopping 5 healing surges with which to recover those 12 free hit points, and being ravaged by every disease in the known world. :) I wonder what the Endurance DCs on dysentery are....

The first point (healing surges) is valid, but the second really isn't. It isn't difficult at all to have someone in the party who has the Heal skill (I haven't yet seen a party without it) and if you were doing this, why not take the skill yourself?

Remove ads