• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charismatic Blademaster?

Thordain

First Post
It seems the CHA equivalent of intelligent blademaster was purposefully omitted.

Would it be overpowered to house rule it? I have a campaign where the fighter died and wants to play a CHA based pally instead. The leader in the group is a taclord, and they want to maintain the commander's strike synergy.

Would "charismatic blademaster" be too strong as a feat? What do people think?

darkadelphia

First Post
Intelligent blademaster is for Swordmages only. Charismatic Blademaster ought only be allowed to Paladins I would think, were one to make such a feat.

Saben

First Post
How about an Agile Mage feat, where they can replace Int w/ Dex where appropriate?

That's going too far, imo. The feat for swordmage only applies to basic attacks after all. Being able to change your primarily stat from int to dex gives you a net benefit in terms of initiative with no disadvantage (other than the feat cost). Perhaps if you deliberately made yourself MAD and said "apply your dex bonus instead of your int bonus to attacks relying on your int to hit", that way you can either have high initiative and accuracy (with low damage), or you can be forced to have MAD.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Doesn't intelligent blademaster only allow you to use int instead of str for basic attacks?

Personally I think there should simply be a feat that lets you substitute whatever stat you feel like: basic attacks are worse than your at-wills even if you can use your best stat on them, so it's really limited to situations where you are granted a basic attack explicitly, and on OA attacks.

OAs are pretty rare unless you've got a class ability to give you more (ie - are a fighter and already have high str).

Boosting granted basic attacks falls into two circumstances: You're granting yourself a basic attack (via a power), and therefore if you had bad basic attacks, you'd simply never take the power in the first place, or someone else is granting you a basic attack, and if you've got a bad basic attack, they'll just grant it to someone else with a more powerful basic attack anyway.

All up, I can't see it making a difference that's significantly more than any other feat.

HighTemplar

First Post
It's not that it's overpowerly too strong. It's just that it's a path you don't want to take.

Opening up this kind of feat and then you have people that want to distort everything to match their best abilities.

I encountered this situation a coupple of times, and it sucks, but i trusted the game balance towards feats and I refused. One of my best RP players made a charisma based ranger(that he'd transfered from 3.5 where he played a low wis ranger without acess to spells thru some variants) now he was stuck with tons of cha and no wis where half of the ranger powers depend on wis modifier. He whined about the fact that he used his cha solely for RP purposes and asked for a feat that let him use his cha modifier instead of wis for ranger powers. It was legitimate, but I chose to refuse, and convinced him that his high charisma came with a price, and if he wanted to , he could change his abilities to get more wis since we were at the start of the game and still trying the new 4e system. Eventually he chose different paths going around the wis based powers and got happy and proud of his style. It's not ALL about the powergaming. You have the right to say yes, and you have to right to say no. He'll be happy anyways eventually, so think about yourself and your game.

Klaus

First Post
That's going too far, imo. The feat for swordmage only applies to basic attacks after all. Being able to change your primarily stat from int to dex gives you a net benefit in terms of initiative with no disadvantage (other than the feat cost). Perhaps if you deliberately made yourself MAD and said "apply your dex bonus instead of your int bonus to attacks relying on your int to hit", that way you can either have high initiative and accuracy (with low damage), or you can be forced to have MAD.
Dex instead of Int for basic attacks, for a Wizard with very accurate aim, would let the wizard use it for Magic Missiles.

DracoSuave

First Post
When Paladins get basic attacks as the result of one of their class features/build options, then Charismatic Blademaster might make sense. As it stands, it doesn't, because even if it did, Strength is still a primary stat for Paladins -anyways.-

darkadelphia

First Post
When Paladins get basic attacks as the result of one of their class features/build options, then Charismatic Blademaster might make sense. As it stands, it doesn't, because even if it did, Strength is still a primary stat for Paladins -anyways.-
Str is a primary stat for Avenging Paladins. Protecting Paladins only put points into strength to
1.) Carry their plate mail
2.) Boost their basic attacks.

Charismatic Blademaster would reduce some of the MAD for Protecting Paladins.

Remove ads