• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charity Work

dreaded_beast

First Post
For all you DMs and GMs out there who run games for free, I salute you!

It is very rare in this day and age for people to find the time or the drive to do charity work.

I am sure the unwashed masses of poverty stricken players inwardly give thanks for kindness if they do not already show outward displays of gratitude.

You are an inspiration to us all and hopefully more DMs and GMs will follow in your footsteps and work with the gaming community by providing this charitable service to those in need.

:D

*Note the HUMOR tag. ;)

FireLance

Legend
Thank you so much for your kind words, but truth be told, there are a lot of emotional and spiritual rewards for DMing. Sure it's tough going at times, but after many years of hard work, the expression of simple delight and joy on the faces of your players when one of their characters is lucky enough to survive to 3rd level and fiinally manages to scrape together enough copper pieces to buy a dagger and padded armor truly warms the heart.

arche

First Post
I take money under the table for my DM services like some dentists do for those without insurance. THis way I can get away from paying taxes and provide quality DM services at a much lower rate than the average DM. It is especially necessary when those without club affiliations can't afford a DM otherwise. The days of Club reimbursement is getting very difficult. By taking cash at the time of the session, I get the reward of lowering my fees, keep it from the IRS and the players get the benefit of my game without club memberships.

Ghostknight

First Post
Charity work? No, its a recruitment drive to get more people to participate in my dark satanic rituals (free coke at every orgy!)

Ok, anyone got a new sacrificial victim *cough* do-gooder friend to join our group?

drakhe

First Post
You mean...

Doh.... I thought I had to pay players for their time at my table.....
And I chip in for booze and pizza..... Doh and double Doh...

Seriously: I never considered asking money for DM'ing:

- buying books: my choice, other than the core books (PHB/DMG/MM) I don't have to buy to be able to play and/or DM (I do buy a lot of books but I like books and I collect more than I'll ever actualy use in game)

- Prepping: for me part of the fun to be had... so why charge

- DM'ing: again part of the fun ...

- chipping in for food/drink: just seems natural to me to share, has nothing per se to do with dm'ing or playing

One other reason why I don't charge: if you do charge for DM'ing, the players have in return for their cash a right to "the best of service", I find that that aspect puts a presure on my Dm'ing that I don't like

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
drakhe said:
Seriously: I never considered asking money for DM'ing:

Asking, no. Demanding, yes! Pay me tribute, or I will smite you. Smitey smitey smite smite smite. . .

I need more coffee.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads