Charles Ryan on BBC Radio Newcastle?

Zander

Explorer
Hello, Charles,

Any chance you could wangle radio interviews about D&D/RPGs? They'd be good for the hobby and for Esdevium, not to mention entertaining.

If so, could you please post a message on the main board letting us know the station(s) and the date(s)/time(s)?

;)

Zander

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Boy, I'd love to pull that off. Unfortunately, the thing you need most to make that happen is a story hook that fits what the stations want to talk about. Getting them interested in the topic of board games at Christmas time is easy. (For those not in the UK, board games are traditional not only as gifts, but also as an Xmas-season family activity. Sort of like watching football on Thanksgiving in the US.) Getting the stations interested in hobby games, at any time of year, is less easy. Also, they want "impartial" experts who aren't directly stumping a commercial enterprise, so it's easier to get them into a story about an entire category than it is to talk about a specific game like D&D.

(Also, it takes a lot of time and a fair amount of cash to make this happen--all of which is spent with no guarantee that a single station will pick up the story and ask for an interview.)

And, lastly, the interviewee doesn't know for sure which shows/dates/times will happen, so letting people know ahead of time is next to impossible. Some of those interviews were arranged literally 15 minutes before they happened. (Basically, the PR agency lets all the stations know that the interviewee is available on a certain date for X many hours, and the stations come back with requests for interviews--some schedule the requests days in advance, and others don't decide until their show is underway and they know whether or not they have the time. Some of the interviews are live and others are recorded for other times--something the interviewee also doesn't know until the time of the interview.)

So anyway, I'll definitely keep my eye out for any future opportunities, but the odds of a lot of D&D/hobby-related gaming interviews occuring any time soon aren't high.

Now, all that said, I did manage to slip in a mention of D&D (and one or two other hobby games, like M:tG) a few times over the 19 interviews. . . .

Remove ads