• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charles Ryan speaks - 4.6 million Americans claim to play D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember in 1983 or so, Newsweek had an article about D&D, and said there were about 4 million active (once a month or more) players.

I still the early 1980s were the heyday of D&D, in terms of cultural impact and name recognition.

The number of players may have "quietly" grown back to those levels, but I personally don't believe it. I'd guess is that the gaming community is like my personal history with the game:
-- massive playing in the early 1980s, sharp decline in the 2nd Edition era, bottomed out in the mid-1990s, resurrection in the WOTC era.
An AVID fan of the game, I dropped 2nd Edition in favor of playing RECON, Boot Hill, computer games, or nothing at all from 1990-1996. In 1996, I restarted with 1st Edition AD&D -- the only one of many, many gamers I knew who was playing any form of D&D at the time. By 2005, every single player in my many campaigns and the games of my friends as a DM or a player was either:
-- a lapsed player lost during the Second Edition era who returned with "underground" 1st Edition I was evangelizing
-- a lapsed player lost during the Second Edition era who came back to play 3rd Edition under me or under a formely lapsed 1st Edition player I woke up and turned into a 3rd Edition DM
-- or new players evangelized to 3rd Edition by the old guard.

My conclusion: The game nearly died, but it's definitely back. How back it is, though, is hard to tell. Poker, World of Warcraft, Knights of the Old Republic, and Halo seem far more "popular" pastimes, and D&D is a still "alternative". I guess it mostly always was.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
These numbers don't seem too unrealistic to me. If you take the latest population figures for the United States (295,734,134 ) that means that roughly 1.5% of the population play D&D according to the market research. Sounds okay to me :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Umbran said:
Eh? Not to call the man a liar, but to what survey or other input did they really get 4.6 million separate respondants?

Please choose a less inflammatory manner of introducing your statements - although your phrasing doesn't call him a liar it insinuates it, and that isn't polite.

Cheers

diaglo

Adventurer
DanMcS said:
Don't be dumb. Surveys and survey statistics are a well understood branch of math. You take a random sample of a large enough size, you get a reasonably accurate result and a margin of error measure. So they're not reporting the margin of error. Who cares.
don't be naive.

they didn't take a random sampling.

these surveys are from their website... (actual visitors... ergo not random)
and cards received back in the mail and responses via email from people who have purchased products (again not random)

i know i filled out at least 100 of them last year.

again not random

Yair

Community Supporter
diaglo said:
don't be naive.
Don't be naive. Charles Ryan is far too professional to blindly rely on such a skewered sample for his statistics. I'm confident that whatever means he used to arrive at those figures are reliable and professionally considered. Even if the cards/online-surveys provided some data for this, I'm positive the numbers he quotes are not based on them without "correction" for being non "random".
("" because it isn't quite a "random" sample you are seeking, more like a representative one, which is pretty far removed.)

DanMcS's main point stands: you don't need to get 4.6 million people to say they are regularly playing tabletop D&D to estimate that they are.

diaglo

Adventurer
Yair said:
DanMcS's main point stands: you don't need to get 4.6 million people to say they are regularly playing tabletop D&D to estimate that they are.

that part was the only part that was true in DanMcS's point.
edit: but believe it or not that wasn't what Umbran was saying. you and he had better go look at other posts by Umbran.

Yair

Community Supporter
diaglo said:
edit: but believe it or not that wasn't what Umbran was saying. you and he had better go look at other posts by Umbran.
Ooops, you're right. On second reading, I suspect Charles Ryan was somewhat careless in his wording.
Either that, or D&D players REALLY like to talk to Wizards... :confused:

Apologies to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads