D&D 5E Charm Person After Effect

R_J_K75

Legend
You wouldn't use it on friends in the first place.

To take this one step further I remember reading in Dragon years ago even though it was never specifically stated in the rules any kind of mind affecting spell such as charm person, suggestion, or ESP that a party member tried to cast on another party member automatically fails, as does intimidation and persuasion. Anything that gives one player the ability to take away another's freewill to make their own decisions wasn't allowed.

MarkB

Legend
To take this one step further I remember reading in Dragon years ago even though it was never specifically stated in the rules any kind of mind affecting spell such as charm person, suggestion, or ESP that a party member tried to cast on another party member automatically fails, as does intimidation and persuasion. Anything that gives one player the ability to take away another's freewill to make their own decisions wasn't allowed.
That's not an official part of the rules, but it's an excellent candidate as a potential ground rule to set during session zero.

R_J_K75

Legend
That's not an official part of the rules, but it's an excellent candidate as a potential ground rule to set during session zero.

Its not official but it should be, and I bet someday it will. Before I read that in Dragon (2E) I can remember PCs trying to charm or otherwise mentally manipulate other PCs and it was just a mess. Lead to arguments and hard feelings so I'd just say something like the spell worked (if at all) very minimally at best and then the charmed player inevitably wanted revenge. In an adventuring party where everyone's life depends on a level of trust and comradery among them all it only makes sense that they'd see right through any attempts to be mentally manipulated by any of their companions.

Iry

Hero
What does charmed mean? Unless they saw you wiggling fingers, they could easily assume it was natural charm - feminine wiles, fast talk, or a charming personality. A spellcaster might recognize it immediately, but the average person might just scratch their heads. Heck, some people don't even mind being charmed if the outcome is favorable.

R_J_K75

Legend
What does charmed mean? Unless they saw you wiggling fingers, they could easily assume it was natural charm - feminine wiles, fast talk, or a charming personality. A spellcaster might recognize it immediately, but the average person might just scratch their heads. Heck, some people don't even mind being charmed if the outcome is favorable.

Was it always in the spell description that the charmed person was aware of being charmed? I dont think so. And I believe that the addition that they are aware it was the caster who charmed them is newer?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Its not official but it should be, and I bet someday it will. Before I read that in Dragon (2E) I can remember PCs trying to charm or otherwise mentally manipulate other PCs and it was just a mess.
Hell, that's sometimes been standard procedure around here: the sane MU charming unruly party members to keep them in line. :)

Of course, we use 1e durations for Charm; which for a target of average intelligence is measured in days. And during this time, naturally, the Charm can always be renewed.

Lead to arguments and hard feelings
Which is realistic within the party; but it's usually a third party who notices the Charm and - if sympathetic to the target - does something about it.

so I'd just say something like the spell worked (if at all) very minimally at best and then the charmed player inevitably wanted revenge.
Best revenge I ever saw was when the Charmed target itself had Charm, and while charmed turned around and Charmed the charmer: Player: "You want me as a friend? You're stuck with me now!" Character: "You're such a good friend, I want us to always be this way! <cast>"

The two PCs ended up falling in love, having babies etc.; when the charms eventually wore off they just kept going as if they hadn't.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Was it always in the spell description that the charmed person was aware of being charmed? I dont think so.
I don't think so either, though depending on circumstance I might give the target (and-or any onlookers) a chance to realize something odd was going on. If-when the charm wore off I'd almost always give the target a chance to notice something fishy was up; the exception being if during the charm the charmer hadn't tried to convince the target to do anything particularly out of the ordinary compared to what it very likely would have done anyway*, in which case I might not even give it a chance to notice.

* - an example might be a MU charming a Fighter to use as a personal meat shield: the Fighter's likely enough going to defend the party anyway and could easily never notice she's been defending the MU more often lately than random chance would dictate.

And I believe that the addition that they are aware it was the caster who charmed them is newer?
Automatic awareness would be newer, yes.

Shiroiken

Legend
By RAW, Charm Person and Friends are tricky spells to use without serious repercussions. I've found them useful in interrogations, because even if they hate you later, it helps to get the information you need. Those of looser morals have also used them for assassination by charming the target and getting them into a dangerous situation (usually involving them going into a dark alley where the other PCs await).

My group has removed the automatically, leaving it to an Int/Arcana check against the casters DC. If the check fails, the target simply alters their memory to conform to accept why they did what they did. If it succeeds, or if someone points out how out of character their actions were, they know.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
1. Identity. If you charm someone secretly from a distance and then don't interact with them, then there is no perceptible effect.

So, the target is a friendly acquaintance... but it never interacts with you, doesn't know who you are... and so cannot act on your behalf... What, exactly, would be the point of this?

Remove ads