• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

cheap 3-d settings and minis

tanis

First Post
I was wondering if there is a free or cheap way to get pre-painted minis (I do not have the time to paint) or 3-d settings. :heh:

Dremmen

First Post
Sure there are...kind'a

Fairly cheap 3D structures and things can be had through Worldworks Games . For a set price you get the pdf and then can print out as many buidlings or boats or whatevers you might want.

For cheap minis the only ones that I know are both painted and cheap that work for D&D are the WotC D&D minis . You get a random sampling in a box, but after a couple of boxes you got some pretty good monsters and PCs. Also if you go to your FLGS they might be selling individual ones.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Yeah, the D&D minis are actually quite great for a variety of things. The game itself is fun and you can use them in your game if you need monsters and obviously you can suspend your disbelief to use them as supers, horror RPGs, etc.

sniffles

First Post
Dremmen said:
Fairly cheap 3D structures and things can be had through Worldworks Games . For a set price you get the pdf and then can print out as many buidlings or boats or whatevers you might want.

For cheap minis the only ones that I know are both painted and cheap that work for D&D are the WotC D&D minis . You get a random sampling in a box, but after a couple of boxes you got some pretty good monsters and PCs. Also if you go to your FLGS they might be selling individual ones.

Just a note - if you purchase the less expensive PDF versions of Chunky Dungeons from Worldworks, you must print and assemble them yourself. You can also purchase them pre-printed, but assembly is still required.

The D&D minis are relatively inexpensive, but the boxes are RANDOM. You don't get to pick what you want. If you don't have a local game store or do much shopping online they're not quite as convenient.

Another option is Cardboard Heroes from Steve Jackson Games. You just have to punch out the tokens and put them on the table. I believe Fiery Dragon has some cardboard tokens, too.

MageKnight made some nice prop pieces that could be found cheaply online, perhaps. You can also make your own terrain out of common household items. Egg cartons, toilet paper rolls, plastic lids, rocks and twigs from your yard - these are all free. :D

kenobi65

First Post
sniffles said:
Another option is Cardboard Heroes from Steve Jackson Games. You just have to punch out the tokens and put them on the table. I believe Fiery Dragon has some cardboard tokens, too.

Unless they've changed recently, SJG's Cardboard Heroes aren't punch-out; you need to cut them apart. Probably not a game-breaker, but not quite as easy. However, Cardboard Heroes are "stand-up", and thus meet the original poster's 3D desire. They also offer some dungeon floor sets, and a couple of new 3D cardboard castle products.

For more info on them, check out: http://www.sjgames.com/heroes/. 400+ minis for $21 is a pretty good deal, even with some assembly required. I've used 'em for years, as a supplement to my metal and plastic minis.

Fiery Dragon does indeed have a ton of counters, though they're flat, rather than stand-up. They, too, need to be cut out. One of the advantages of the Fiery Dragon counters is that they've been specifically designed with 3E monsters and races in mind. (Well, that, and Claudio Pozas (a.k.a. Klaus here on ENWorld) did many of them.)

You can check them out at: http://www.fierydragon.com/products/index.htm

Remove ads