• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cheap sneak attack items?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
What are some good ways to allow a sneak attack (ie. deny your opponent their DEX) that are affordable at low to mid level (like 5,000gp or less)?

Is there a spell that works like Blurstrike, or maybe a 1 round invisibility spell (I thought I saw something like that) that could go into a potion or custom wondrous item?

I don't want to do anything that will hinder the rest of my party, and I don't have a lot to spend - but getting reliable flanks just isn't happening as much as I would like :)

Thanks for the help.

Child of Hypnos

First Post
Im not sure that there are any items that'll let you deny an opponent dex bonus to AC directly.
Id recoment combat expertise, improved feint and a maxed bluff skill, then get items that boost charisma/bluff... I'm aware thats probably not what your lookin for though.
otherwise just keep stocked up on invisibility potions, at 300gp a go their probably your best and cheapest option!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A wand of grease will do the trick for you. Even if the opponent makes their save, they are still balancing, and you can sneak attack anything that is making balance checks...

Child of Hypnos

First Post
Mistwell said:
A wand of grease will do the trick for you. Even if the opponent makes their save, they are still balancing, and you can sneak attack anything that is making balance checks...

now that IS sneaky! I bow before a master!

MarkB

Legend
Get a Bag of Tricks (Rust or Tan). Throw the little ball of fluff just past your opponent, and you have a ready-made flank-buddy.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Hrm, Grease - I suppose that's an option. Would be especially fun with Sculpt Spell. :p

There isn't a swift action 1-round Invisibility spell? I thought I saw that somewhere (back when I didn't know what Swift actions were).

Thanks for the advice all.

MarkB

Legend
Ki Ryn said:
There isn't a swift action 1-round Invisibility spell? I thought I saw that somewhere (back when I didn't know what Swift actions were).
There may well be, but by the book it's extremely difficult to transform such a spell into a magic item with a similar casting time - scrolls, wands and potions all require at least a standard action to activate.

javcs

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
Hrm, Grease - I suppose that's an option. Would be especially fun with Sculpt Spell. :p

Thanks for the advice all.
It's Swift Invisibility from Complete Adventurer, IIRC. It may also be in the Spell Compendium.

To deal with the wand/spell completion/trigger item problem, you may be able to get it in a wondrous item. It would have to be a custom item, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads