• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cheating - who cares?

Minor cheatin among friends?

• Don't Care

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • Care

Votes: 187 73.9%
  • Other

Votes: 13 5.1%

jsewell

First Post
Mort said:
I care. When one player cheats on a consistant basis it is a huge damper to the other players.

I agree.

If I'm a player, I'll 'tell' on another player if they cheat on a regular basis, but not if I only see them do it once or twice. As a player I don't cheat. If I consistently roll poorly, I change dice.

As DM, I 'fudge' die rolls on a regular basis (only for the players' benefit). Yes, this makes me a hypocrit, but TPKs aren't fun for anyone (and are generally the result of my making an encounter too difficult).

Back to the topic at hand, keep in mind they are your friends and you are playing a social game. Talk to the person in question privately. If that doesn't work, take the dice away from all players, or use JoeGKushner's suggestion of using a community dice bowl (be sure you are the one who fills it, though).

Mort said:
So you'd be ok with having no action points and the player next to you having unlimited action points?

hehe.

To iWatt: I think you mean composed of friends, not compromised. :)

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
swrushing said:
If he only uses them once in a while we the party really needs it, as often to help others as himself? Sure.

if he only uses them to upstage other PCs and steal their spotlight moments, I would have a problem if we both had 5 per session.

its not the HOW he does X but the WHAT is he doing.

You make it sound very noble, but IME that's just not the case. In 20 years of gaming I have never seen a person cheat to "take one for the team." It has always been a personal empowerment or a fear thing. Namely they want to "be the best" and poor die rolls just don't mesh with that so are pushed aside. Or they are so afraid of failure, the can't accept poor die rolls, even in a meaningless game.

Ds Da Man

First Post
I have to say that as I have gotten older, this bothers me a lot less. I have had a group disperse, or break temporarily because of calling a person out, on minor cheating. It ain't worth it. There are just certain types of people in the world that feel that they must have the upper hand/win all the time. As long as it constantly is not a problem, a fudged rolls to make them feel like they are having a better time just doesn't matter to me. I generally find that bring up cheating in out-o-game discussion helps keep people more honest, without hurting feelings.
I think a lot of you must also live in more urban type of enviroment. Here in the sticks its hard to get a new group of players, and most of the guys I have D&Ded with for years (10+). It just is not worth losing a friend to me. For the most part, all the group now rolls directly on the table. The ones who used to repeatedly cheat have grown up, and roll out in the open with the rest of us. This problem usually takes caare of itself with time.
On similiar note, I do find that the min/max rules lawyers cause more party problems then the cheater. They powerbuild characters, always run them as neutral/CN, and want to attack everything in sight. These players ruin the game for me more then the cheating rollers.

Jim Hague

First Post
iwatt said:
Did I miss something? This thread is actually debating if it's aceeptable to cheat. And what tolerance people have for it. Apparently you have zero tolerance for it, but at least myself and others do feel there is certain amount we're willing to live with.

The minority by a very, very large margin, I'd note. Frankly, I smell an agenda here, with the rather loaded title and waffling onm the point of 'acceptable' cheating. Yes, I have zero tolerance for it, because I game with my friends - and if I cannot trust my friends to be honest with each other and myself and accept a level playing field insofar as the rules go, then it's time for them to go elsewhere. Cheating is cheating, period - it's dishonest, it's a lack of trust, it's incredibly disrespectful.

I'm not sure how you can defend someone deciding their character can do whatever they want while people that follow the agreed upon rules get to suffer the slings and arrows of the oft-cited outrageous fortune. You are, by endorsing the 'little' cheating, penalizing the honest players at your tables...remember them? You know, the ones that respect the agreed upon rules, you and the other players enough to play fair?

I simply don't understand the attitude that it's ok. You're screwing other people around, and that just isn't cool in any context.

swrushing

First Post
Mort said:
You make it sound very noble, but IME that's just not the case. In 20 years of gaming I have never seen a person cheat to "take one for the team." It has always been a personal empowerment or a fear thing. Namely they want to "be the best" and poor die rolls just don't mesh with that so are pushed aside. Or they are so afraid of failure, the can't accept poor die rolls, even in a meaningless game.

Well lets whip ours out and see whose is longer...

in my 1981-2006... carry the seven... 25 years of GMing, i have seen a fair number of times where players cheated in this manner.

let me give you one from my own stable of cheating... we are fighting a big beastie. our ranger has been wailing away and taking damage and beaten up by this one bad guy and i get to add my shots to the fray... when my init comes I know from descriptions of the Gm he is nearly gone and in my action i LIE and tell them "ooops i missed" because I know the ranger is next and he will "certainly hit" and if not there are others t cleanup before the beastie... so i let ehr ranger get the killing blow that not only adds to his enjoyment but fits in best with it being "his enemy" kind of story wise. There would be no reason for me IN CHARACTER to not try and kill the beast, but i really don't want to swipe his "kill".

Doesn't affect PCs. Doesn't affect experience? Only make it wrap up a little neater and nicer.

But, according to some, I should now hit the f'n door and never return.

yeah, right.

I am not saying cheating is noble... i am saying cheating is sometimes a better choice, just like sometimes lying is a better choice than flat out honesty and not all instances of cheating merit instant dismissal.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I voted "Other". I don't care much for people cheating. As long as I have fun in the game, that's their problem if they need this to pump their ego.

I understand, however, why people would get upset at other players cheating. And to me, that makes perfect sense. That makes the whole concept of rules and game balance null. Why not run an improvised theater, in these conditions?

James Heard

Explorer
Yes, I have zero tolerance for it, because I game with my friends - and if I cannot trust my friends to be honest with each other and myself and accept a level playing field insofar as the rules go, then it's time for them to go elsewhere. Cheating is cheating, period - it's dishonest, it's a lack of trust, it's incredibly disrespectful.
Frankly I smell an agenda here, with the rather lopsided hammering of points based off of personal interpretations of "moral codes" and a guilt-based rhetoric. Basically, so what you're implying is that if you tolerate cheating you don't have any friends? Get real. That's stupid, illogical, and silly. Here's the kicker: If you know someone's "cheating" and you tolerate it, then they're not cheating. A falsehood that you know to be a falsehood is not a lie, it is a fiction. People tolerate fictions.
I'm not sure how you can defend someone deciding their character can do whatever they want while people that follow the agreed upon rules get to suffer the slings and arrows of the oft-cited outrageous fortune.
That's a strawman. You're setting up the dictum, "Cheating is cheating is cheating" ie there is no difference between any sort of falsehood whatsoever and then dancing directly over to "this means people get to do whatever they want while other people suffer" with some sort of implication by association that the other players are suffering because someone else is cheating. Unless someone's cheating in a directly oppositional role to another player though, that can't be true except in the most epheremal of contexts. If someone advances without falsehoods before me that doesn't diminish me, and soneone advancing with a falsehood isn't diminishing me unless there is an actual zero-sum competition going on. Since when do you win at roleplaying? You're not penalizing anyone, you're falling into a false logic argument.
You're screwing other people around, and that just isn't cool in any context.
No, I'm not. That's a failed logic too. If my neighbor kicks his dog and I don't report it it might mean I'm ethically at fault for not reporting dog-kicking but it doesn't make me a dog kicker. In failing to make a big deal about cheating, similarly, it doesn't mean I've taken a confrontational "screwing people around" stance at all. You're falling back on this notion that it's a zero-sum game again.

If someone is committing a falsehood upon me and I don't know that it's been done I haven't lost anything, because presumably my lack of awareness means that the consequences didn't warrant scrutiny. If someone commits a fiction upon me, a falsehood I'm aware of, then the scrutiny still needs to be upon "what have I lost", "what do I lose if I announce the fiction", and "what do I lose if I don't announce it"? Last, there's the instance where other people are aware of the falsehood as a fiction but I'm not - this is presumably the most damaging case for an authority figure, because it says something about your general lack of awareness and control.

What I want to know is: If cheating is lying, and lying is completely and always unacceptable in all circumstances, how someone adjusts this iron-clad resolution with NPCs lying to the party, the assumption of roles, the unfair advantage inherent to one person assuming authoritarial rights over a game, hiding maps, etc. I don't see how that's different from any other fiction, like if Bill says he rolled a 16 to hit when he rolled a 14. I don't see the inherent advantage of calling Bill out and ruining a friendship over it, when Bill's already been telling me he's Raxor the Elf and I've been squeaking out funny voices myself as the Bobbits of Lambchopstown. If Bill kills the orc and Bob is still having fun, how has anyone been harmed?

"But! The Trust! The Trust is GONE!"

Sorry, I don't see it. Personally, all of my friends? If they shot me in the guts I'd probably have think a little harder than someone who's throwing a hissy fit over a game and a few dice.
I am not saying cheating is noble... i am saying cheating is sometimes a better choice, just like sometimes lying is a better choice than flat out honesty and not all instances of cheating merit instant dismissal.
Personally I think the instant dismissal folks are a lot less noble. Calling upon your gaming buddies as friends, and then saying you'd ditch them over a die roll sounds creepy to me.I mean, that sounds like the sort of thing you should do for the other sort of cheating that involves your wife - not a hobby.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
but the insidious paranoia and moral outrage concerning cheating that I see in some people is as least as damning if not more so to me

As I read this second thread this sentiment wafted through my mind several times.

I thought I might reiterate my original stance as well: It never bothers me unless it bothers others. I don't consider this a defence of cheating nor do I consider this an aspect of some moral compass I use to divine friendship. I consider this a type of relaxed acceptance. Some people feel the need to cheat to have fun...I sort of feel sorry for those people...I manage to have fun regardless. I'm not going to bust their balloons unless they manage to stifle the enjoyment of others. Some people here feel the the act innately causes miscontent or discontent...I simply just don't agree with that sentiment--it has never been my experience.

I consider myself the most honest liar I know. This ambiguity, I feel, sums up my need for personal honesty and illustrates a reasonable set of application. I have never met anybody who hasn't or doesn't lie...and if I were to limit my friends and acquaintances to those who could be trusted not to lie...well...I would never post on these boards. :lol:

So, when I say I don't care...it really means I don't care. It is not some sort of moral relativism, I won't try to justify or defend a cheater...I just don't see any real tangible contingencies--in context of a tabletop game. I doesn't bother me.

And I really can't shake the sense that some of these responces are the result of jaded childhood situations involving some sort of obscure service of justice. I don't feel the need to try to balance the scales...as long as everybody can enjoy the combined experience.

Oh, and Jim, I really don't think swrushing's tone was any more harsh than yours...and I should know, I studied register for a good two solid years during my Masters of Rhetoric--'course...I'm an honest liar. :lol:

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Cheating is wrong. AFAIC there isn't much more to it than that. Sure, there are degrees of wrong, but that doesn't ever make it right.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads