D&D 5E Check Out Planescape's Table of Contents & More!

A gallery of photos of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse!

Brandes Stoddard has received a copy of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse (which come out in two weeks!) and is posting loads of photos over on Blue Sky. You can check out his feed for the whole treasure trove--here's a look at the table of contents.

1.jpg
2.jpeg

GreyLord

Legend
I don't know if D&D got me interested in mythology, but it was definitely a big influence on my interest in mythology. If I did a Deities and Demigods it would include everything from the 1e book and at at least the "Abrahamic Mythos" and several D&D setting "Mythos" and possibly some other RL "Mythos."

But that would be for me. I don't think that is something that should be produced by WotC or by any company that is the steward of D&D. I am absolutely fine with them removing RL mythologies/ religions from the books. Zeus being replaced with a "storm god" doesn't hurt anything. That "storm god" can be Zeus to me or anything else I want.

D&D wasn't around when I first started reading and studying stuff. It definately wasn't what got me interested in Mythology. That was probably Bullfinch's that got me interested in it. Read all through Bullfinch's with great fascination.

I liked them stating all the mythological stuff out though...that was all D&D.

On topic: the various tables of contents have seemed to indicate this setting and adventure are pretty much limited to Sigil and the Outlands. Do we think that's true? If so, is that sufficient? I personally am suddenly much less interested if "the multiverse" is a city and some wonky villages.

That's exactly what it is, it doesn't feel like a Multiverse at all.
Goodness you're selling me on this book! I will wait to I see it in person at my flags - but I like what your previewing!

I didn't realize a lack of depth and poorly designed locations and factions were selling points were selling points, but okay to each their own.

dave2008

Legend
That's exactly what it is, it doesn't feel like a Multiverse at all.

I didn't realize a lack of depth and poorly designed locations and factions were selling points were selling points, but okay to each their own.
Lack of depth is a selling point* (helps me homebred - vast amount of lore hinders me - bullet points are the best!), poorly designed locations is an opinion (I will have to judge myself), the real selling point is removing the RL deities. I love me some 1e Deities & Demigods, but that doesn't really have a place in modern D&D IMO.

*Total different if I was getting a novel; however, that is not what I want in my RPG products.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
The artwork is of course excellent, as with basically all 5e books.

I can't speak for the content as I don't have the book, but I also share the feeling that the book is not much more than it's own index.

Of course the book cannot contain a multiverse, and I actually appreciate that they focused on Sigil + Outlands, leaving everything else to other books... I don't actually expect such books to be published for 5.5e, but when it comes to settings locations I actually prefer more details on a smaller range of location rather than even more diluted information just to include a wider range, and probably the room would not have allowed anything more than what is already in the DMG. More important for me to include PC usable information, primarily about the factions, although the page count for each of them is still small.

So I wonder what is the target audience here, other than the usual people who buy most books just because we can, and we like having lots of them. But if you already have older Planescape books, what is of value in this one? And if you're new to Planescape, I still don't feel like this is more than one adventure plus some preview of what's the world around it like. But maybe I'll get a more positive opinion once I see the actual content.

Neither here nor there really, but Asmodeus is a demon in the Old Teatament for most Christians, central to the Book of Tobit as a foil for Raphael.
In the interest of forum rules I'm going to make exactly one comment on this, but the Book of Tobit reads weirdly like a film script: seriously, it is a very cinematic view of the role of a 'cleric' or 'priest' in an 'adventuring party' is capable of.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Pretty much.
I am an atheist, so mythologizing religion is not a big deal to me. However, I know people to whom it is. It is akin to being racist, sexist, etc. IMO. Just because I don't feel that way, doesn't mean the ones that matter feel the same. While I may like it (gamification of RL religions and mythologies) it isn't about me. I don't get to enjoy stuff I like if it is harmful to others, and I am OK with that.
I think the number of things that have been determined to be harmful to others and therefore shouldn't exist has gotten far larger than it should.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In the interest of forum rules I'm going to make exactly one comment on this, but the Book of Tobit reads weirdly like a film script: seriously, it is a very cinematic view of the role of a 'cleric' or 'priest' in an 'adventuring party' is capable of.
Great material to draw from for D&D, to be honest.

Great material to draw from for D&D, to be honest.
Oh, 100%. I regret not playing more D&D in college, when my social circle was 99% philosophy and theology students. Would have been wild.

That's Catholic school for you, though. They held on to the whole 'satanic panic' business way longer than the consensus did.

Remove ads

Remove ads