• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Check out what Kinkos did to My 1e AD&D UA

dagger

Adventurer
5 bucks

I have another one that is in almost mint condition but this one has the standard bad binding of the UA's and pages have been falling out for awhile.

IMAG0144JPG_s9rltwhhld.jpg

Since it turned out so well I am looking through all my books now for anything that needs attention. :)

As a side note the guy said the following:

"I do a lot of D&D books but this is the first one I have ever seen by Gary Gygax."

Oryan77

Adventurer
That's clever. I didn't know Kinkos could do that, and for only $5? It makes it look like some sort of special edition book.

Are the inside pages secure enough where they won't eventually tear out from being kind of old?

the Jester

Legend
Are the inside pages secure enough where they won't eventually tear out from being kind of old?

The process more or less turns the book into a spiral notebook, but (typically) the paper quality is much higher, so it should be more durable.

Coil bind a book printed on cheap, flimsy paper and you'll have a correspondingly shorter duration before the pages start to tear. Also, the more that you use it, the more the pages will eventually tear (obviously!).

-Used to be a manager at Kinkos Jester

Is_907

First Post
Did the holes punched for the spiral take up any content space? I can't remember how wide the margins are on UA right now.

That would be my only concern.

Did you just hand over the book or did you break the pages out of the binding first?

dagger

Adventurer
Some of the pages are close but no text is covered by the holes.

I just handed him the book (had about 20 loose pages) and he used a machine to chop off the binding.

Is_907

First Post
That's awesome. I often come across copies of classic books like this in bad shape but for next to no $, so knowing that $5ish will get them bound in a better format... win.

Means Half Price Books is more valuable to me again. ;)
I picked up the I3-5 compilation last weekend and might want to get it bound this way.

the Jester

Legend
One problem: Books like this don't fit the shelf well.

I've never had this issue, but I do find the lack of a spine annoying- you can't tell what the book is without pulling it off the shelf (assuming you have multiple books bound like this; most of my homebrewed campaign docs use a similar format).

Remove ads