• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Checking Out The RAGE OF DEMONS Minis from GF9

What do Orcus, Graz'zt, and Zuggtmoy have in common? They're all demon lords, and they're all miniatures coming soon from Gale Force 9. They're limited edition (only 1500 of each). Orcus retails at a mighty $75, with Zuggtmoy at $25 and Graz'zt at $20.

What do Orcus, Graz'zt, and Zuggtmoy have in common? They're all demon lords, and they're all miniatures coming soon from Gale Force 9. They're limited edition (only 1500 of each). Orcus retails at a mighty $75, with Zuggtmoy at $25 and Graz'zt at $20.

GF971048alt.jpg

GF971046alt.jpg

GF971047alt.jpg

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Most of the demon lords already have had releases in the past by other miniature companies, so you have lots of other options. Orcus in particular has a wide variety of choices, so I guess I'm not seeing what there is to complain about.

A lot of people want pre-painted D&D miniatures, from demon lords to orcs, in a non random sales format. Sure I'd like that too but so far it has only been done in a limited format where random packs seems to have done well. I don't know the economics enough to know if its viable. But I like to paint minis so I'm OK with traditional metal figs.

Michael Long

First Post
Boo. Hiss. This is a game. Game pieces shouldn't be double the normal prices with a limited run. It is bad enough that the only way to get regular pieces is via blind packs or third parties, but this is a terrible way to do things. Do limited pieces for the collectors - do them all day long. That's great. But back them up with traditionally priced, traditionally marketed miniatures for the people who just want to buy the pieces they need to play their game.

Here ya go. SO TRADITIONAL!
[h=1]Fantasy Figures: 32 Piece Set
Made in the USA!
[/h] And it's not a blind pack!!!

Valmarius

First Post
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd still no Demogorgon... (Sigh!)

So, I only just transferred over from the WotC forums... no links or images :(

But do a search for "demogorgon gf9" there's a bunch of images floating around. He's the version that's ripping up a purple temple.
Apparently he's about 8"/20cm tall.

I actually said that making special pieces for collectors is great. I just think that there should ALSO be some traditional choices for people who want pieces to play the game.

As for market size, they are automatically limiting it by charging three times what a typical miniature runs.

Have blind packs. Have high-grade collector's pieces. But also make it so that if I need a half-dozen water cultists, or a few Trademarked Beasties (TM) that I can get them without having to pay triple or buy thirty low-quality pieces I don't need to get one I do (I've been painting miniatures since the 80s, and still shudder every time I have to try and work with the plastics.)
The market for minis is so niche that few companies are willing to play. Minis are a hobby unto themselves (and a damn pricey one, at that), and a huge proportion of gamers don't use them.

In the past decade, WotC released more than 1000 different sculpts of minis in prepainted plastic, mostly randomized. Currently, they license GF9 to produce high quality customizable minis for hobbyists, as well as also licensing WizKids to produce cheaper plastic minis for a different market. I'm not current about who else is producing what, but I understand Pathfinder has its own line of cheaper minis, and I'd be surprised if Reaper isn't still making stuff too.

My point is that when it comes to minis, there are lots of choices, especially for a small market.

Greybird

Explorer
Wow, lots of misplaced hostility and spite. I am a Wizards of the Coast customer. I have spent a fair amount of money on their products (and on TSR's before them.) I've been deeply invested in this hobby since the 80s. I think it is reasonable to criticize a business practice I disagree with.

I simply dislike their approach to this aspect of the business. It forgoes the most practical option in favor of a system that favors a minority of people willing (and able) to spend piles of cash. I'm sure Reaper would love to take a contract to manufacture the trademarked D&D beasties and NPCs, and it would certainly be nice to need three umber hulks and a mind flayer, buy three umber hulks and a mind flayer. For people who prefer to paint their own pieces, it would be a godsend - no high priced resin collectors pieces, no low-detail plastic pieces. The blind packs and collectors' pieces could coexist happily alongside them for those that prefer it.

I'm quite aware of the miniatures on the market. I own hundreds, probably in excess of a thousand, from 70s Ral Partha up through three of the four Reaper Kickstarters. Perhaps that's part of the problem: I don't need a dozen more blind-packaged orcs to go with the 80 or so on my shelf. I just need the two or three unique beasties that were introduced for the content I'm running.

I love this hobby. It is by criticism where it is due that we improve it. If we can't question the business practices of the companies we do business with, if all we can do is praise them because they're popular, why bother with a comment section? Just have a 'like' button.

Last edited by a moderator:

I love these miniatures! I bough the red dragon and had a friend assemble and paint it. I'm gonna collect these, at the least the large, iconic ones. Love, love, love the Demogorgon miniature!

Remove ads

Remove ads