• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cheeky players.... what would you do?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ahem. I may be partially to blame for this...
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91104

But I'd let them keep their names. Just because the names are pop culture references doesn't mean you have to run a "Star Wars" based Eberron campaign.

However, if they are actually EXPECTING you to run the campaign with constant Star Wars themes running throughout, I'd disabuse them of this notion quickly.

So the short answeris: Ignore the names and run your campaign as you see fit.

Sylevus

First Post
Is the idea fun for you? If not then go back to square one. Table Eberron and sit down with the players to figure what everyone wants.

How about a compromise? Run an explicit duration Eberron game to get to know the setting. Since the game does not 'matter', the characters can be whatever. Run some sessions. Get to know the changes and where things are...... Then start over with a real game and characters that fit the setting.

Advantage - Gives the players a chance to learn their way around without the akwardness of ... my character has lived here all his life.. he should know this..

Disadvantage - The risk of serious campaign elements being tagged forever more with Star Wars References. I.e. first fuzzy bear is an Ewok, lizard man called Jar Jar,etc...

But even more you need to make sure that there is a mutual respect at the table. Respect for the DM, the players, and the setting to be played in.

For the example of a Roman name. If the player gets tied up in Roman customs and tries to define the world in Roman terms... its a problem. It does not respect the context of the game world and pushes ideas into the campaign that may not fit. On the other hand, if the player names his Dwarf Markus Aurelius and plays like a dwarf should play in the setting.. then the name does not matter.

But for any serious roleplaying to happen the environment has to be mutually respected. That means no Knights who Say NI, and no Frenchmen holed up in a castle taunting passersby..... unless your setting IS Camelot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads