D&D 5E Cheesy or Meaty?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Another fun thing to do is to give your Barb/Rogue the Defensive Duelist feat and then grapple/prone opponents before beating them to death at advantage (+ sneak attack) while they feebly try to attack you back.

It's unfortunately not compatible with the Shield Master approach unless you have three arms.

That sounds even more unkillable! But I lose the iconic (in my mind) shield cuff to knock someone down. Hmmff. I'm now looking at the Grappler and Tavern Brawler feats but they don't seem to offer much that I couldn't already do.

Coroc

Hero
Conan with a rapier ? Sorry -- but yuck.

The same goes for D'Artagnon trying to lift a greataxe of course.

Some RAW possibilities should just not be used if the only intention is to create the pirate ninja hobbit. That is per se not gaming the system from a mechanical point of view but from a RPG one.

I am so glad that multiclassing is not rewarding in 5E. The only occasion where it should be used (instead of a background or dedicated subclass) is when it totally fits the story.

Someone who grew up in a society where big warriors swing two handed weapons with uncontrolled rage and only cowards hide behind shields or armor will never ever value the fine nuances of a fencing weapon over his usual fighting style even if it is as deadly.
That occurring would require some equivalent of a total brain wash tbh.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Another fun thing to do is to give your Barb/Rogue the Defensive Duelist feat and then grapple/prone opponents before beating them to death at advantage (+ sneak attack) while they feebly try to attack you back.

It's unfortunately not compatible with the Shield Master approach unless you have three arms.

Thri-Kreeeeeeen! :D

rgoodbb

Adventurer
My Barbarian/Rogue PC did not grow up in that kind of society but believes his drink was magically spiked and made him rage. That is why he fears magic and magical items. That is also why he only drinks milk now. He is only starting to control his rage and has done some work for thieves guilds as their bodyguard as they are the only ones who will employ him.

Children’s nursery rhyme

-Tarquin Grum, had some rum
Stumbled on home and killed his mum

-‘ee ad the gall, to start a brawl
Enterin’ the tavern, ee slew them all

-Next the church, ee did search
Skewered those priests up in their perch

-Huroo, hurray, here come they
The militia’s here to save the day

-Took them on, ten to one
All dead on the floor before ee was gone

-Wiped his sleeve, took his leave
Entered in the woods near Lower Trieve

-ee’s somewhere, out over there
Killin someone without a care

-If ya see this man, Tarquin Grum
Give him some milk and not some rum
If ya see this man, Tarquin Grum
Give him some milk and not some rum

Grum.png

Coroc

Hero
Obviously not, it'd be a Scimitar! Arrr!

Obviously not it would be a falchion (2 handed not dual wield scimitars and no there are no drow barbarians on my table never ever until the end of times when only paladins float around in their protective bubbles and the rest of the multiverse has imploded :) )

Coroc

Hero
My Barbarian/Rogue PC did not grow up in that kind of society but believes his drink was magically spiked and made him rage. That is why he fears magic and magical items. That is also why he only drinks milk now

Milk ??!??? Does he just need some milk now to make the rage go away? Cmon you gotta be kidding!

:)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Obviously not it would be a falchion (2 handed not dual wield scimitars and no there are no drow barbarians on my table never ever until the end of times when only paladins float around in their protective bubbles and the rest of the multiverse has imploded :) )

Ah if only! Alas lad, ye can only use a shield with a one-handed weapon! Plus a falchion lacks the precision to gut yer enemies nicely.

Coroc

Hero
Ah if only! Alas lad, ye can only use a shield with a one-handed weapon! Plus a falchion lacks the precision to gut yer enemies nicely.

But a scimitar lacks the heaviness of splitting your enemies head to toe and make a nice totem of their remains to inspire fear into the hearts of their comrades.

Remove ads