• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chess... That's right, I said Chess

Janx

Hero
It's not an RPG!

Sorry. that was funny. well, to me. based on a past thread about "Chess is not an RPG"

Last edited:

Nefzyflin

Explorer
I love chess, but I don't like watching it on TV. In person, though...

I hear ya.

It's a fascinating game. I think more people would get into it if they understood it more. It's not the type of thing someone can just look at and understand right away. But I find when someone takes the time to learn about the pieces and how they should be used, both individually and as a team with the other pieces, as well as understanding the board itself, and why the centre squares are so important etc. Then watching a game of chess becomes much more interesting.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Chess loses me at the "thinking many moves ahead" level.

I can walk up to a board and see what is or is not a dangerous or advantageous move for me. Against an idiot, it works out.

But because I see there's an slew of possible responses to my single move, many of which are viable to the opponent, I just don't bother. I'd rather write a program to deal with that mental mess.

Jhaelen

First Post
Back when I still played chess from time to time I also enjoyed watching games. Since I stopped playing, not so much. My interest waned when I reached a point where I would have had to memorize moves (or even better whole matches) to get better playing it. Too much work for too little fun.

Nefzyflin

Explorer

Hello Mark. Thanks for the link.

Chess loses me at the "thinking many moves ahead" level.

I can walk up to a board and see what is or is not a dangerous or advantageous move for me. Against an idiot, it works out.

But because I see there's an slew of possible responses to my single move, many of which are viable to the opponent, I just don't bother. I'd rather write a program to deal with that mental mess.

I understand. Chess, like a lot of hobbies/sports and even rpgs, is not for everyone.

Back when I still played chess from time to time I also enjoyed watching games. Since I stopped playing, not so much. My interest waned when I reached a point where I would have had to memorize moves (or even better whole matches) to get better playing it. Too much work for too little fun.

I agree chess is a lot of work. To be a top level player, you have to dedicate your life to studying it. In my competition days, I was a candidate master ( which is the lowest level of master in chess ), and I quickly came to realize the amount of work it would take to reach the next master level. Having a wife, kids and job, I decided it wasn't worth it.

And yes, the openings in chess are more about memorizing, than thinking these days, which took some of the fun out of competing for me.

I'm satisfied playing casual games, without all the memorization and pressure.

It's fun to just sit, relax, and play.

Nef

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads