• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chessex Mondomat - Factory Second quality.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Anyone here have one of these? How marked up or blemished are they if so? I'm thinking of buying one but I"m scared that the lines will be all screwy or something like that. But this thing is so huge that I have to have it.

Gryffyn

First Post
In my experience, the Chessex factory seconds are 95% as good as a regular one. Usually it's because of minor imperfections or stains in the vinyl, or a slight misprint in the lines. I've never seen a factory second from them that wasn't quite usable. I've bought a half dozen over the years at various conventions.

The best Mondomat factory second I ever saw was my friend's. They printed BOTH hexes and squares on both sides. It's really cool.

A guy in my gaming group has one, and the only flaw is that one of the lines is a bit smudged for about 1.5" of its length. That's all.

It's like when you buy clothes at T.J.Maxx or some other "seconds" store -- sometimes the flaw is so subtle it's irrelevant, yet you pay a lot less.

Anyway, the mondomat is quite nice for large combats.

werk

First Post
I'll second that if you can even find the blemish, it'll be so insignificant that it will not lower the value.

A friend just got two of these factory seconds, we can't find the problem at all...they look good as new.

kenobi65

First Post
All I can ask is...where in the heck do you *put* a Mondomat?

I have got a *big* dining-room table that we use for D&D, and the Megamat fits nicely there, though not with a lot of room to spare on the "short" dimension. A Mondomat is 4 1/2 feet by 8 1/2 feet! Who has a table that big? :)

D'karr

Adventurer
kenobi65 said:

I have got a *big* dining-room table that we use for D&D, and the Megamat fits nicely there, though not with a lot of room to spare on the "short" dimension. A Mondomat is 4 1/2 feet by 8 1/2 feet! Who has a table that big? :)

Raises hand...

Glyfair

Explorer
kenobi65 said:

I remember one of the earliest reviews of the battlemats from Chessex (in The Dragon, IIRC). One of the things the reviewer pointed out was they worked well for impromptu picnics at gaming conventions. Clearly the ground or floor is a main spot to use these ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've got both a mat and at least one table upon which to use it.

Of course, I have to have all of the leaves in place!

And all the guys in my group are envious of how big mine is...

(No, I'm not compensating!)

Remove ads