• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chicago Gameday 27 Planning Thread: getting ready for October 23rd

buzz

Adventurer
[highlight]This thread is for planning purposes only. A separate thread will be created for player sign-up closer to Gameday. A link to that thread will be posted here.[/highlight]

[h1]Gameday 27 Planning[/h1]
This is the planning thread for Chicago Gameday 27. If you're interested in running an event for Gameday, or just have planning help to offer, this is the thread for you. If you're confused, go here to learn more about Chicago Gameday.

[h2]The Time, The Place, The Basics[/h2]
[highlight]Gameday 27 will be held on Saturday, October 23rd. Events start at 9:30am[/highlight]. Gameday 27 will be hosted by Games Plus, a.k.a., Earth's Greatest Game Store™.

Gameday has two event slots that are 4-5 hours each: a morning slot from 9:30am to 2:30pm, and an afternoon slot from 3:30pm to 8:00pm (and beyond). We typically run six events in each slot, with 4-6 players plus GM in each event. GMs may request more/fewer seats in their event, but we have found that 4-6 players per event is ideal.

If you do not have an ENWorld Community Supporter account with Private Messaging enabled, please make sure I have your email address. Feel free to buzz[/MENTION]mo.com]email me.

Please be aware that we are sharing Games Plus' event space with WotC's Gamma World Game Day. We can stage a maximum of six events in each slot.

[h2]Current Event Lineup[/h2]

Morning: 9:30am - 2:30pm
  1. D&D 4e, Trevalon Moonleirion, private room
  2. Supernatural RPG, Ninjacat
  3. TBA, Reidzilla
  4. Triune, WJMacGuffin
  5. D&D 3.5, TracerBullet42
  6. Mars Colony, Tim C Koppang

Afternoon: 3:30pm - 8:00pm
  1. The Dresden Files RPG, buzz
  2. Hand of Fate, Vyvyan Basterd
  3. Umlaut: The Game of Metal, Bront
  4. Descent, Mark, private room
  5. 4e, Fenril Knight
  6. Paranoia XP, WJMacGuffin

[h2]Submitting and Running an Event[/h2]
How do I sign up to run an event?
If you would like to run an event for Gameday 27, please post a proposal in this thread.

What info should I provide as part of my proposal?
At the minimum, we need to know:
  • The game system you will be using
  • How many players will be accomodated
  • A catchy title
  • An event "blurb," i.e., a basic summary of your event
  • Whether you want to run the event in the morning or the afternoon

Optional, yet helpful info you can provide includes:
  • If there is a particular table you would like to use
  • Whether your event expects prior experience with the rules
  • Whether your event is or isn't suitable for all ages
  • Whether pregens will be provided
  • Links to said pregens (PDFs, Word files, etc)
  • Links to info about the game system
  • Links to any other files you'd like to offer potential players
  • Any images you might like included in the final event description

How long should my event last?
Your event should last at least 4 hours.

If you are running an event in the morning, it should not run longer than 5 hours, as you will be taking time away from the lunch break.

Events run in the afternoon may last longer than 5 hours, but please be respectful of: a) Games Plus's hours of operation, and b) the needs of players who may be reliant on the Metra scheudle.

When do poeple sign up for my event?
A separate player sign-up thread will be created in a few weeks. You will be notified in advance of the sign-up thread going live.

May I screen potential players?
Pre-approval of player sign-ups is not allowed. By volunteering to run an event, you're agreeing to run it for whomever signs up. Thankfully, everyone who comes to Gameday is totally awesome.

What if I want or need to cancel my event?
Once the sign-up thread begins, GM volunteers have until one week before Gameday in which they may remove their event from the schedule. After that point, the schedule is set, and you are expected to come ready to run your event, regardless of whether anyone has signed up for it. If unforeseen circumstances require that you cancel your event at the last minute, please try to get in contact with me. Worst case scenario, such as cancellation the day of Gameday, you may also try calling Games Plus.

May I run more than one event?
Yes, but please consider waiting to offer your second event until others have had a chance to get on the schedule.

[h2]Suggestions[/h2]
If you have suggestions, recommendations, or ideas for enhancing the fun of Gameday, please feel free to post them here and we'll open up discussion.

Last edited:

I'll take a morning slot, private room, 4e game

Title: TBA

Blurb:

All good things must come to and end right? You’ve adventured together for the better part of five years, but now, you’re all seeing life pull you in different directions. Whether you want to settle down and run a business, pursue research, or dedicate yourself to some higher cause, adventuring together is one thing that you’re putting behind you for now. It’s not as though you didn’t have fun, and you certainly made quite a bit of money.

After besting your last trap-filled tomb—and man, was it a nasty one--it’s time to hang up the adventuring cloak and celebrate new beginnings at the Falconcall Pub in Iriaebor (Now under new management at the hands of your humble rogue, Dagger!) before you each head on your own way. It’ll be a relaxing, merry evening for all...

Come play out this flashback episode featuring Trev’s infamous (dare I say iconic?) heroes before they were big shots fighting demons and beholders, and single-handedly saving the city from doom.

This is a high-heroic tier (7th-10thish) level 4e D&D adventure set in the Forgotten Realms (3rd edition flavor). Pre-generated celebrity look-alike characters provided. If you’re signing up, please take a look at them in advance, and pick who you want to play. People who call a character in the registration thread get first dibs.

Chgowiz

First Post
I'm offering to run my GM Workshop on building sandbox campaigns that I had just advertised on rpgchicago.com - it would be either slot - but I think I would need the private room to carry it off.

It's going to be a system neutral hands on deal with some handouts and the hope that every GM will walk out with the skeleton of a sandbox campaign for their system. I'm looking at no more than 10 people.

I think the private room is needed for two reasons, one for the white board and two because of the noise factor as this will be partially a class.

What do you think? Is this something I could on this GameDay or would you rather I not?

I'm offering to run my GM Workshop on building sandbox campaigns that I had just advertised on rpgchicago.com - it would be either slot - but I think I would need the private room to carry it off.

It's going to be a system neutral hands on deal with some handouts and the hope that every GM will walk out with the skeleton of a sandbox campaign for their system. I'm looking at no more than 10 people.

I think the private room is needed for two reasons, one for the white board and two because of the noise factor as this will be partially a class.

What do you think? Is this something I could on this GameDay or would you rather I not?

This isn't what we usually have at gameday, but it's certainly a neat idea. Would it fill a whole slot?

As far as fitting ten people...especially ten average gamers into that room? That's more punishment than fun. :p

ekb

First Post
That crept up on me quicker than I'd thought...

I'm still split between 3 games:
  • "Hell 4 Leather" as revenant biker revenge story
  • "The Operation" using Delta Green for covert op-based scenario.
  • An "Apocalypse World"/"Dungeon World" weird-fantasy hack

Any preferences? I'll end the question this time (7:30 pm local) tomorrow and post the proposal then.

buzz

Adventurer
Trevalon grabbed the private room for the morning slot, so you'd have to do the workshop in the afternoon.

I think it's a novel idea! My gut says that more people would sign up for a gaming event... but we've never done any workshops that weren't about painting minis, so I can't really gauge how much interest there might be. You are welcome to give it a shot, though.

Let me know if you want to claim the private room for the afternoon.

ekb

First Post
I think it's an especially good suggestion. Pick a time please, so that I can schedule myself opposite it...

Ninjacat

First Post
W00t, GameDay!

Okay, Buzz, if you're running your event in the afternoon slot, then I'll run my SPN in the morning, and you can bet Kelly will want to run his Hand of Fate event in the afternoon. *g*

I'll be running Classic Cortex Supernatural, as usual, and if I could get my "normal" table at the back door, that would be appreciated. Let's go ahead and list it as six players, but I can probably add a seat or two if people besides my usual crew also want to play.

Event Title: Toil & Trouble
Event Slot: AM
Event System: Classic Cortex/Supernatural

Well, it's finally happened. . .the Gates of Hell have been opened, not to release demon hordes upon the earth– –just Lucifer himself. When Ash sends the crew information about a bizarre series of deaths in Sparta, Wisconsin, all of "good" people, it's worth investigating. After all, how often are coincidences actually coincidences, when it comes to Hunting?

Looks like it's time for another RoadTrip.

Toil & Trouble is a mystery adventure RPG for six players, using the Classic Cortex ruleset, based on the CW's Supernatural television show. Cortex is a fluid, story-focused system that's easy to learn, with mechanics for both conflict resolution and influencing the narrative. No familiarity with either the Cortex system or the Supernatural TV show is required, though it could of course prove useful. The only thing you really need to know is that the supernatural is real. . .ghosts, demons, hauntings, possession– –all real. And some of those who know about it fight back: Saving People, Hunting Things...

(Additional information is available at my site, here: Toil & Trouble)

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
W00t, GameDay!

Okay, Buzz, if you're running your event in the afternoon slot, then I'll run my SPN in the morning, and you can bet Kelly will want to run his Hand of Fate event in the afternoon. *g*
Added.

I like that it's "Classic Cortex" now. :)

Remove ads