• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chicago Gameday XXII is March 21st: SIGN UP!

Tim C Koppang

First Post
I had a great time yesterday. Thanks to everyone who played Hero's Banner with me in the morning. The drama was really cooking. I know we had to force the ending a bit, but I think everyone was satisfied.

(Josh, to answer your question, yes, that's about right for the level of drama in a typical game. I'd say that we all did a nice job of interweaving the different characters' stories, which amped things up a bit more. For multi-generation, keep in mind that you're starting with fresh characters. It's just the consequences of their actions that carry more weight because you know what the previous generation had to go through to create what the new characters are manipulating.)

Mark, thanks for the wonderful Mouse Guard session. I was glad I got to finish out the second session (I'll have to practice my train schedule reading skills evidently.) I was certainly inspired to finish up the Fall collection of comics this morning. The game had a very nice heroic feel to it, where I think we were all wondering whether we'd get through the challenges or die trying.

I have been wondering about a couple of mechanics, though. First, it seemed like we had a tough time earning "Checks" (i.e., character advancing bonuses). I know we discussed this a bit yesterday after the game, but with the level of tension we were all facing, it seemed that there was a real incentive to push as hard as you could instead of purposefully agreeing to a setback (which is how you earn Checks for those reading this who don't know). On the other hand, I think I was overlooking something. Losing a challenge doesn't necessarily mean we were all going to die, right, unless that was the explicit goal of the opposition. Is failure meant to be more common I wonder?

Second, it seemed that basic skill checks were really hard. I'm thinking of my attempt to make windows to repair the baker's battered bakery. Even though I had two points in "Glazier", that was obviously not a lot. To make even basic functional windows required three successes (at most you can generate one success per point of skill). Were there other things I could have done to improve my odds?

All in all a great time. Thanks again to everyone.

- Tim

Last edited:

Lifelike

First Post
Thanks all, had a great time myself.

Morning Hero's Banner game was enormously fun. It's a great challenge to turn personal failure into tremendous success, but I think we all pulled it off nicely. I'm proud of finding a way to turn an attempted assault into a bargaining chip, and for the ending set of affairs where we ended up legalizing gay marriage.

There were times that I was frustrated with myself for just letting someone else think for me instead of coming up with something brilliant, but I think we all have that feeling at one point or another when playing games with strong narrative control components. I know nev was feeling pretty burned out toward the game's, but I felt as though he got a second wind around the very end. Also, I didn't feel rushed at the end because I knew coming in that this was a one-shot.

I'll look for Hero's Banner at Gencon, and am considering running it as a one shot for the local group out in DeKalb. Tim, (A) any advice for running it as a one-shot and (B) Ever considered running it set in the modern day (C) Any way to soften the stress of having to take on narrative control? I know not every player loves that uncomfortable feeling where you have to come up with something creative on the spot.

Thanks also to the evening game and the organizers. Zombie thwacking was an experience, and thank also to buzz for running everything as always!

Elijah

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
Mark, thanks for the wonderful Mouse Guard session.
You're welcome!

I have been wondering about a couple of mechanics, though. First, it seemed like we had a tough time earning "Checks" (i.e., character advancing bonuses). I know we discussed this a bit yesterday after the game, but with the level of tension we were all facing, it seemed that there was a real incentive to push as hard as you could instead of purposefully agreeing to a setback (which is how you earn Checks for those reading this who don't know). On the other hand, I think I was overlooking something. Losing a challenge doesn't necessarily mean we were all going to die, right, unless that was the explicit goal of the opposition. Is failure meant to be more common I wonder?
Yes. A failed roll doesn't necessarily mean that the task was failed; you can succeed with a condition, or fail and the GM adds a plot twist. And outright death is really rare; you have to lose a full-on conflict by a very wide margin in order to die outright. If the winner has lost any Disposition, there's going to be some compromise.

That said, the snapping turtle is a really tough opponent; even with help you're looking at really slim chances of success. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not for the scenario. I was going to ask about it on the BW forums.

Also, failing is important for skill advancement. You need X successful checks and Y failed checks in order to advance a skill. So, there's another incentive to take a failed test, albeit one that really doesn't manifest within the scope of a one-shot.

Second, it seemed that basic skill checks were really hard. I'm thinking of my attempt to make windows to repair the baker's battered bakery. Even though I had two points in "Glazier", that was obviously not a lot. To make even basic functional windows required three successes (at most you can generate one success per point of skill). Were there other things I could have done to improve my odds?
I agree that the ways skill obstacles are figured, things err on the side of being pretty hard. Granted, Glazier 2 is a pretty basic level of skill. 3 is competent, and 4+ is where mastery comes in. Ergo, Sloan isn't a particularly good glazier to begin with. :)

The main ways you improve odds are by getting help, having the right tools, and via your wises. That's 3 potential dice right there. Then there's always Fate and Persona.

Also, I'm still fairly green with running BW, and this was only the second time I've run MG. I could have been erroneously figuring obstacles on the high side. Another thing to talk about on the BW forums!

What an absolute blast--as always.

Thanks to our gracious hosts, Games Plus; thanks to our wonderful organizer, buzz, and thanks to all who ran something and made it a great day for everyone involved.

To my GMs, Vyv and WJMacGuffin, thanks for running top notch games!!

My 4e game with Vyv showed me that 3 strikers and 2 controllers can do just fine without a leader or defender....if you like living on the edge / flirting with the death save fairy.

I'd like to apologize to mr. macguffin and the rest of the table for leaving early--had to jump my girlfriend's car battery. Paranoia is an absolutely amazing game, and I had a blast--I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time. I hope the rest of you brave citizens were able to defend Alpha Complex from those strange creatures while still leaving flames and rubble in your wake!

sw3333

First Post
Thanks to my three sets of pairs who played in the SWSE game.

I can honestly say I've never seen a character taking two attacks roll two 1's followed immediately by two 2's. Amazing!

Rich, Alex is welcome to play any time he'd like.

Rob, way to power attack and cleave with the broken handle of your vibro-ax. Upwards of 70 points of damage in one round? Essentially with a stick? You are still awesome.

Buzz-Mark, thanks again for organizing, and the guys at Games Plus, thanks for hosting.

jesusfreak444

First Post
Hey, I'd just like to thank Mark and HinterWelt for putting on such great games. THis was my first game day, and I must say this has easily been the most fun I've had gaming in a long time. I'd also want to thank them for putting up with a little 14 year old like me. While I think I held myself in line, I did kinda get a little excited with shooting stuff in the Zombipocalypse game near the end:]. I had a great time playing such a unpowerful character, a 12 year old computer hacker. It was so fun when I saved the party from lighting on fire when I hit the flame grenade with my baseball bat (whether or not I'm exaggerating the situation or not, I'll continue to embelish the details in my own mind ;))

Thanks again, I really appreciated all of your work Mark and HW.

Some pics of the action:
Picasa Web Albums - buzz - ENWorld Chica...

03-21-2009_EN_Chicago_Gameday_ 015 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

rvalle

First Post
Thanks to Mark for both organizing the day and for running a very fun game of Mouse Guard. BTW, my co-worker says getting 8 out of 8 on that roll is about 1-500. :)

Much thanks to sw3333 for letting Alex and I play. And Jedi at that! Also thanks to the others at the table for being good sports about it.

sw3333 I told Alex what you said and he replies: HI dad it's me Alex. My favorit part was tte battel with the craters. p.s. tell him I will be happy to play again.

And thanks to Games Plus for hosting and for being such a great place to buy games at. :)

rv

TracerBullet42

First Post
All hail the awesome power of Kruskk Johnson and his power attacking mania with a broken axe handle!!! The dice sure tip from one end of the spectrum to the other for me in that Star Wars game. Vader is lucky he didn't show up...

Thanks, Josh, for running. Good times were had. Cathy (Ninja Librarian) is one step closer to being even more of a geek now!

To my fellow Paranoians...have you freed your minds yet? What a blast that was to play! I knew that you all would turn and kill me when I tried to revolt against The Computer when we left Alpha Complex, but it was SO worth it. I've never had so much fun talking philosphy with a gargoyle. I hope he achieved self-actualization! (Don't let biology be your destiny!!!)

Thanks to Mark for organizing again and to Curt and the gang at Games Plus for hosting. So much great fun was had. Looking forward to doing it again. Maybe I'll even run something next time. (It felt so weird to actually play all day!)

Tim C Koppang

First Post
Morning Hero's Banner game was enormously fun. It's a great challenge to turn personal failure into tremendous success, but I think we all pulled it off nicely.

Elijah, that makes me very happy to hear. I know you were the only one at the table who hadn't played before. There were a few moments when I worried I wasn't explaining things well enough for you, but I think you really held your own. If you've never played a game where you are given great narrative freedom, it can be intimidating to come up with something creative on the spot (trust me, I know). On the other hand, I always try to encourage collaboration amongst the players. This can really help to take some of the pressure off.

I'll look for Hero's Banner at Gencon, and am considering running it as a one shot for the local group out in DeKalb. Tim, (A) any advice for running it as a one-shot and (B) Ever considered running it set in the modern day (C) Any way to soften the stress of having to take on narrative control? I know not every player loves that uncomfortable feeling where you have to come up with something creative on the spot.

If you'd like to run Hero's Banner, I might suggest the demo pack I wrote a while back. It gives you a few sample characters to work with and a bit of advice on how to get the ball rolling. Really though, you've already had the best training on how to run a one-shot. What I did on Saturday isn't really that different from how I run my regular games. Yes, the pace was a bit quicker, but the tension and drama is the same.

As for concrete advice, I recommend coming to the table with at least partially pre-generated characters. For first time players, the hardest part is often just coming up with the three influences. For whatever reason, once they've played through the game once, creating influences isn't a problem anymore. I think it's just one of those things that seems overwhelming at first.

I also enjoy one-shot games where there is a lot of inter-character conflict. This isn't necessary for a good Hero's Banner game at all, but it does help to keep the action moving forward and the players interested -- especially when they are just getting the hang of how the game works.

As for your second question, yes, I have thought of running the game set in modern day, although I haven't yet. I've had lots of people suggest alternate settings, actually. The important thing is to make sure that the characters are in powerful positions. The game really sings when the stakes are high.

Finally, as for taking some of the pressure off the players, I'd have to say: encourage collaboration. Make sure you let everyone know that suggestions are welcome, but also be sure to stop other players from talking over anyone else. You have to give everyone some time to think a bit. So you might also want to slow the game pace down if you have the time. Sometimes that pressure isn't so much a function of the game as it is the perceived pressure that the other players put on you to perform.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Tim

Remove ads