• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chill Touch

vraad

First Post
Hi.

I need a little help with Chill Touch. The description for the spell says "You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level." If you are using a touch attack, isn't that subject to the same limits to the number of attacks a character can make as normal melee attacks (for example a sorcerer can make 1 attack per round, at 12th level he can make 2). Considering the duration is Instantaneous, I don't get the impression that you can spred these attacks out over several rounds either.

So, how does this spell work?

THANKS!!

:cool:

vraad

First Post
Thanks for the quick response.

Ok, how does "You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level." work with the answer you gave me. Are you saying that if I've got a 3rd level sorcerer, he can make three touch attacks, all as 1 attack action? Or is it that you can make three touch attack attempts, but the first successful one discharges the spell, all as 1 attack action?

thanks

glass

(he, him)
melkorspawn said:
The first touch attack that hits delivers Chill touch, after that, you have another attack that won't deliver a spell.
Pretty much the opposite:

The round you cast chill touch, you get one attempt to attack with it just like any other touch spell.

On subsequent rounds, you can attack with the spell again for each attack you have, and continue to do so until you run out of uses.

glass.

Last edited:

DreamChaser

Explorer
the effects of chill touch on the target are instantaneous but, as I recall, chill touch follows the rules in the magic chapter for holding a charge: you can touch round after round provided you don't cast another touch spell.

don't have my books with me so I'm not 100% on this, but that sounds right.

darthkilmor

First Post
SRD said:
Chill Touch
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Creature or creatures touched (up to one/level)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial or Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

A touch from your hand, which glows with blue energy, disrupts the life force of living creatures. Each touch channels negative energy that deals 1d6 points of damage. The touched creature also takes 1 point of Strength damage unless it makes a successful Fortitude saving throw. You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level.

An undead creature you touch takes no damage of either sort, but it must make a successful Will saving throw or flee as if panicked for 1d4 rounds +1 round per caster level.

It was my understanding that it lasted until you used all the attacks up, that a 12th lvl caster could use it for up to 12 attacks. But reading the description its not entirely obvious.

glass

(he, him)
DreamChaser said:
the effects of chill touch on the target are instantaneous but, as I recall, chill touch follows the rules in the magic chapter for holding a charge: you can touch round after round provided you don't cast another touch spell.
As long as you don't cast another spell of any kind (or indeed do pretty much anything else).

But, Chill Touch is a little different from the typical touch spell. Instead or a single charge, it has one charge per level.

glass.

B4cchus

Explorer
Targets: Creature or creatures touched (up to one/level)

I think this states without doubt that one can make as many touch attacks, which all deliver the spell, as one has caster levels.

I also agree on the fact that this lasts as long as no other spell is cast.

Quite nice to use with Imbue with spell ability on the party monk.

Goolpsy

First Post
Yes the spell last until u've used the charges. Its an instantaneous effect because it doesn't have a durantion, hence the magic is triggered when u cast it.
The the describtion say that your imbued hands will be able to gie the touch attack once per caster level (yet still u cannot make any more attacks than u could with a sword)

One could argue that u keep the spell until u use the charges, or its discharged when a new spell is cast... but i dont see anything in the rules about that, hence its only flavor...

Staffan

Legend
B4cchus said:
Quite nice to use with Imbue with spell ability on the party monk.
It would be nice if it wasn't for the pesky thing about imbue with spell ability only allowing cleric spells of the abjuration, divination, and conjuration (healing) schools. No wizard spells, and no necromancy spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads