Chinese Setting and History (not just for Oriental Adventures)

mmadsen

First Post
...most people already are influenced by history when the create there worlds...

As far as I can tell, most people -- especially most Americans -- know next to nothing about history, particularly ancient or medieval history. They certainly don't know anything about ancient Persia or China.

And if you suggest using history as a basis for your D&D fantasy world, you're told that D&D's not about emulating historical or even fantastical reality.

hong

WotC's bitch
mmadsen said:

As far as I can tell, most people -- especially most Americans -- know next to nothing about history, particularly ancient or medieval history.

That's just what they _want_ you to think. You have to learn to see the fnords.

They certainly don't know anything about ancient Persia or China.

Here's a hint (but don't tell anyone I told you). Pages 500-550 of _The Illuminatus Trilogy_ by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea contain much wisdom about ancient Persia and China. However, it's cunningly disguised and hidden under a layer of misdirection and obfuscation, to prevent it falling into the wrong hands. The Ancient and Illuminated Seers didn't become Ancient and Illuminated by just handing out information willy-nilly, you know.

And if you suggest using history as a basis for your D&D fantasy world, you're told that D&D's not about emulating historical or even fantastical reality.

Correct. Slowly but surely, you're learning to see the fnords.

tleilaxu

First Post
What do you want to know about the three kingdoms? If you read the book itself it is chocked full of stuff that can be used in games.

A mystic duplicates himself fifty times. the heads of all fifty are chopped off. green smoke comes out of their necks and reformes the mystic.

etc etc..

Remove ads