• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chocolate dice

Okay, my XP comment in the OP is supposed to say, "The die that rolls a 1 gets eaten!" No idea why it only posted half of it.

Anywhoo, when pricing these, I'd do it one of three ways:

1) Price out your materials to make a batch of dice. Figure out how long (including standing around waiting for it to harden) it takes to make that batch. Calculate a fair hourly wage to pay yourself for being a chocolatier. Divide your wages and the cost of your materials by the number of dice in a batch, and that gives you the price you need to charge.

2) Look at other specialty snack-type foods that are being sold at the 'con. Are there any? Are they going for cheap? Price competitively against something similar, and then add a little bit extra for the novelty factor.

3) Make up a number that seems reasonable. Unless you're doing this as a real business investment, it's essentially a hobby, so any cash you get from it is pretty much a bonus.

Pentius

First Post
If you really want to price them by the die, I'd go for 1$ a piece. Then possibly also sell them in sets of 7 for 5$, so people feel like the set is at a discount.

Terrible idea, though, candy dice. I already have problems with my friends swiping my dice to roll them, let alone to eat them. ;)

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi!

I've made chocolate dice (pictures in the attachments).
I'm thinking of selling them in a fantasy/gaming convention.
How much do you think a die should sell for?

if this is not the right place to ask such a question, I apologize.

Thanks!

Cool! What kind of chocolate? It looks really hard...?

My group wants 7 sets, do you do overseas shipping? ;)

If you really want to price them by the die, I'd go for 1$ a piece. Then possibly also sell them in sets of 7 for 5$, so people feel like the set is at a discount.

Terrible idea, though, candy dice. I already have problems with my friends swiping my dice to roll them, let alone to eat them. ;)

It puts a whole new meaning for me to punishing my dice for rolling badly (as I often put my bad dice back in the bag for "timeouts")! I'd just eat them to punish them and to make myself feel better (chocolate releases endorphins as we know) in the process :)

Pentius

First Post
It puts a whole new meaning for me to punishing my dice for rolling badly (as I often put my bad dice back in the bag for "timeouts")! I'd just eat them to punish them and to make myself feel better (chocolate releases endorphins as we know) in the process :)

True. I'm just saying, using these would drastically increase the odds of my game being interrupted by a pointed finger and cries of "Swiper no swiping!"

True. I'm just saying, using these would drastically increase the odds of my game being interrupted by a pointed finger and cries of "Swiper no swiping!"

Well if I was DM'ing the game and had these dice, only to lose them to a swiper swiping them, I'd strike their character dead!

Dice4Hire

First Post

Just make sure you don't have a set of dark brown plastic dice sitting on the table at the same time.

kolikeos

First Post
Okay, my XP comment in the OP is supposed to say, "The die that rolls a 1 gets eaten!" No idea why it only posted half of it.
Each mold has an opening so chocolate can be poured in. Guess which side has the opening?
Anywhoo, when pricing these, I'd do it one of three ways:

1) Price out your materials to make a batch of dice. Figure out how long (including standing around waiting for it to harden) it takes to make that batch. Calculate a fair hourly wage to pay yourself for being a chocolatier. Divide your wages and the cost of your materials by the number of dice in a batch, and that gives you the price you need to charge.
Well, that really depends on how hard they are to make?

Be sure you make a decent profit for your work.
100 grams of chocolate makes a batch of 16 dice (most of them d20, as most of the molds I made are of d20s). The cheapest chocolate costs 15 nis per 400 grams. Making a batch takes half an hour. Each buyer gets a small container to put their chocolates in, this costs another 0.5 nis per container.
Assuming I pay myself minimum wage, that's another 10 nis per batch.

Assuming one die per container, that's just under 1.5 nis per die, which translates to just 0.4$

Making the molds took two days and about 350 nis, but I'm not counting that since I made it for my own amusement.
2) Look at other specialty snack-type foods that are being sold at the 'con. Are there any? Are they going for cheap? Price competitively against something similar, and then add a little bit extra for the novelty factor.

3) Make up a number that seems reasonable. Unless you're doing this as a real business investment, it's essentially a hobby, so any cash you get from it is pretty much a bonus.
2) There are none that I am aware of.

3)The number I made up was way to high according to people I asked. It's not going to be a business.

That looks about right, at 1$ (3.5nis) per die I can cover my expenses even if only half are bought.
Cool! What kind of chocolate? It looks really hard...?

My group wants 7 sets, do you do overseas shipping? ;)
Standard dark chocolate. Not the tastiest, but it keeps and it's hard enough to roll more than once.

Shipping would probably cost 25 times as much as the dice.

Remove ads