• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Choosing an Art Class

Malessa

First Post
I've been seriously thinking of taking some kind of art class at our local college, but haven't a clue where to start. I've never taken any kind before, matter of fact, the last art class I took, was when it was required in middle school........long ago!
So does anyone know a good course to take to help better my abilities? Or what to watch out for, or stay away from? Your input would be greatly appriciated! Thank you!:)

kkoie

First Post
I would suggest going through the class catalogue, and picking a few art classes you like. Find out who the professors are, and go talk to them individually. That way you can find out which prof is willing to work with you, and which ones are going to come off as snooty goofballs who will hinder more than help. Or, you might even get suggestions from them on what would be the right class for you to take.

If you are unsure what classes to pick, my suggestion would be a low or entry level drawing class. You can't get anymore basic than that, when it comes to art.

Just keep in mind, that as a class, they are forced to give grades. So you will need to show signs of improvement in the class, as well as some art skill (both in your drawing skill and your creativity). I'm not saying this to discourage you, just as an fyi. If you really are interested in art, you don't really need a class.

An alternate to improving your art skills is to grab a pad of paper, grab a few objects around the house (basic shapes are the best, like fruit, boxes, paper bags, etc etc), arange them on the dinner table, and start sketching.

alsih2o

First Post
either 2-d foundations to lifedrawing or 3-d foundations to sculpture, both will affect your drawing skills.

that said, i reccomend looking into whether your local institute offers a nightime lifedrawing class, usually cheap to get into and they have a model for several short sketches then a longer, completed drawing. these usually come without formal instruction, however the artsists there are usually accomplished and eager to help :)

edit: go hang around as art classes start and end, this will tell you a lot about the different teachers, and which ines match your style. after a few classes with teachers who match your style of learning and craft, go take 1 or 2 with the instructors who are opposite of you or intimidating. surrender to them for a whaile. the shake up will do wonders for oyur work :)

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Personally I would recommend some sort of life drawing class. Nothing has helped me improve more than life drawing. With all the quick studies you'll do, you'll notice improvement very quickly, and so it easy to keep motivated (in my opinion).

Malessa

First Post
Wow! Thanks guys for your responses.

I have until next spring to get things in order and check things out. I will definately grab a list of classes and go hunting. Talking with teachers and looking into the different aspects of art.

I don't want to limit myself, but I don't want to get into anything too over my head either. I want to start with the basics, since I've never taking any classes before, but then I'm afraid if its too basic, I'll get bored, and with my luck miss something important. As long as I practice, practice, practice, can't go too wrong.

But I guess I need to treat it like a new canvas, don't really know less you start somewhere, and who knows where it will take you when you've completed!;)

Thanks again guys, and if anyone can think of anything else, its all still well appriciated!

rpace

First Post
Re-entering the educational arena can be a big step. Not only will you be undertaking an education in art but discovering how you learn now, after being out of school for a while.

If I were you I'd look for a course offering drawing fundamentals - either with the model or with objects. There's a chance some of the content will be too easy for you, but just getting used to learning in that environment will help you tremendously when you follow it up with more advanced drawing and painting classes later.

Good luck!

~Richard

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Okay, from recent experience since I just went back to school let me lay out how my curriculum has played itself out..

1st qtr: Color Theory
2nd: Intro to Design, Drawing, Perspective
3rd: Life Drawing, Digital Image Manipulation...

Those are the basics I took in my art fields.. of course there were other non related classes.. looking back I could have slept through most of them, but they gave me a chance to relearn everything I had done, and to brush up my skills quite a bit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads