Chris Perkins: Reintroducing Settings in Ways that Surprise People

WotC's D&D Story Manager, Chris Perkins, was the subject of an interview by a chap called Chris "Wacksteven" Iannitti. One of the topics covered is campaign setting books; Perkins says that they want to reintroduce settings in "surprising" ways, and that they're not guaranteed to be books. (thanks to Mistwell for the scoop)

WotC's D&D Story Manager, Chris Perkins, was the subject of an interview by a chap called Chris "Wacksteven" Iannitti. One of the topics covered is campaign setting books; Perkins says that they want to reintroduce settings in "surprising" ways, and that they're not guaranteed to be books. (thanks to Mistwell for the scoop)

The video is below, but if you can't watch it right now, here are the highlights as listed by pukunui on WotC's website:

• He can't talk about products that haven't been announced yet
  • They value all of their worlds, as each one has "tons of fans"
  • They are focusing on specific areas within settings to detail and "codify" via their story bibles
  • Their goal is to "challenge people's expectations" re: sourcebooks
  • They're "not interested in releasing books for the sake of releasing books anymore"
  • They want book releases to be events that will "surprise and delight people"; they also want to put out books that people will actually use rather than books that will just get put on a shelf to "stay there and slowly rot"
  • "One of our creative challenges is to package [setting] material - reintroduce facts and important details about our worlds - in a way that we know that DMs and players are going to use, that's going to excite them, that's actually going to surprise them. We may get that content out, but I'm not going to guarantee it's going to be a book. I'm not going to guarantee that it's going to be anything that you've seen before. But it will be something."

[video=youtube;alnwC34qUFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnwC34qUFs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Zaran

Adventurer
Fixed it for you. Just because YOU want to purchase setting books and not adventure paths, doesn't mean WotC isn't producing products that many others don't want.

I would prefer you don't alter what I said again. That's rude and not at all as clever as you think it is. Plus, what I said was perfectly valid. If you want to suggest something positive, then maybe suggest they put out BOTH settings and adventure paths. If you want adventure paths so much then why don't you purchase two to give them the sell they lost from me.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Depends on how you define "necessary."

I think that for those wanting to know the state of the Realms post-Sundering, sure, a CS book is necessary. There are people who prefer to run up to date games and want to know what's going on in the Realms.

I myself don't need such a book as my library of Realmslore is more than sufficient. Likewise my DMing experience.

However, if a new CS was published, I'd snatch it right up, because I love the Realms.

Many CS supplements are also out of print. What should be done for people new to the hobby who want to run a Darksun campaign?

Zaran

Adventurer
But there is nothing they can possibly release that they haven't released at least twice already (except maybe Spelljammer). I mean, if they wanted to be cynical, they could resell you the same setting book (as they did in 3.x and 4E), but it's really unnecessary. Right now I'm running 5E FR out of the 1E boxed set, and I am of the strong opinion that subsequent releases of that setting added absolutely zero value to what was already in that book and the atlas book.

They could put out a new setting. Also, adventures that are smaller in scope but have good setting material of the area involved are also good.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Yeah, that busybody writer, meta-plot malarkey, I gave up quite a while ago, stick with the original vision of the setting.

That was just mean. And what happens if I happen to want to play on Planescape but can't find any single book because they all sold out before I was even born? And what about wanting a source on Dark sun to account for sorcerers and the like? or if I need a bunch of extra crunch to play Eberron with 5e?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Schmoe said:
Many CS supplements are also out of print. What should be done for people new to the hobby who want to run a Darksun campaign?

This.

Or, specifically, this.

But also, maybe not all that...maybe they just get the 4e or 2e CS and go from there.

I like new settings, and I like doing stuff with those new settings, so I'm interested in what this expectation-shattering format is going to be. Risky, but I confess to not exactly needing another massive hardback...not that I don't enjoy those. :)

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Of course they could always do a new one, like Nerath.

Tragically, Nerath is dead. It basically existed as an amalgamation of Greyhawk and Mystara, and was a great idea for an edition that was not planning on supporting either of those settings but needed a generic home location that called up some classic D&D oldies-but-goodies. In an edition that in the best case scenario is going to provide new Greyhawk material, or in the worst case scenario is going to roll Greyhawk's notable IP into the Forgotten Realms, Nerath has lost its place and purpose in either case.

I think that for those wanting to know the state of the Realms post-Sundering, sure, a CS book is necessary.

The grim reality is that this book is the 3rd Edition FRCS. Speaking as someone who actually liked the Spellplague, the Forgotten Realms have undergone the tabletop equivalent of a server rollback. Expect anything that the Sundering actually updated to be quietly brushed under the carpet. I give Salvatore two or three novels before he just straight up starts calling Drizzt's companions by their old names again -- if he hasn't already.

From the reviews (as I do not have a copy yet), one of the striking details of Princes of the Apocalypse is that it is more sandboxy than Hoard/Rise was, and each "adventure area" is covered in a way that allows it to be used outside of the scope of the campaign at large. Therefore, it seems like they purposely made it easier to just tear out and use sections in your home campaign.

Oh, no, this is absolutely true. PotA is supremely modular. But that's actually my problem. I'm smart enough to port anything to my homebrew world, should I choose to do so -- what I wanted was for the book to tell me more about interesting parts of the Realms where the adventure takes place, or more about the threat of Elemental Evil to D&D as a whole, or both, and I don't feel like it effectively does either.

The adventure is set in back country inland from the Sword Coast, and yes, it's back country that could just as easily fit into a homebrew world, Krynn, or Oerth. But who cares? It's back country, of course it is generic. It's /great/ for a homebrew game, but it tells me nothing of value about Toril.

Similarly, the villains of the adventure are cut from whole cloth. They've never appeared before. That's a good thing, but the problem is that they are citizens of Faerun in support of a threat that is entirely new to Faerun, so their backstory comes off as ungrounded. And that's a bad thing.

I'm not learning anything /new/ about Elemental Evil because the portions of the adventure devoted to the threat spend all their time developing new ties for Elemental Evil to exploit in Faerun. This does not interest me, because these ties were unnecessary to begin with. Faerun has plenty of well-grounded threats of its own; it didn't need another one.

If I'm buying a sourcebook it's because I want to learn more about its setting, but my interest in 10,000-foot-view geopolitical information is limited. It is useful to a point, but I learned a long time ago that campaign setting books are not really smart buys for me, because they don't tell me a whole lot about what's going on on the ground, which is what I really want.

This AP strategy could be a great way for dungeon masters looking for modules and dungeon masters looking for campaign settings to meet in the middle, but in order for that to happen the format has to change and we need to see more granular setting-specific content, not setting content that is so bland it could fit anywhere. The latter option only serves the module-seeking dungeon masters. Sure, it's Toril, and sure, it's detailed, but it doesn't matter.

I hope that my position is clear; my feelings are pretty complex and I think I jumped between streams of consciousness a bit in there.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So he says, "DMs and players are going to use, that's going to excite them, that's actually going to surprise them...I'm not going to guarantee that it's going to be anything that you've seen before. But it will be something."

And then we have a bunch of comments assuming he means APs?

In what way is that something you've never seen before? I really don't think that's what he means.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
So he says, "DMs and players are going to use, that's going to excite them, that's actually going to surprise them...I'm not going to guarantee that it's going to be anything that you've seen before. But it will be something."
And then we have a bunch of comments assuming he means APs?
In what way is that something you've never seen before? I really don't think that's what he means.

First, Mistwell, thanks for the scoop -- it's a great interview.

Second, I agree with you, I think he's got something in the pipe that is going to leverage setting content and that isn't an AP and probably isn't even on printed media, but he's also really tight-lipped about what that might be, and I hate baseless conjecture.

There will be APs -- we know this. And my statements regarding setting content in those APs stand, no matter what groundbreaking new products Wizards is planning. They can sell books to half of their dungeon masters, the other half of their dungeon masters, or all of their dungeon masters. Seems like a choice that makes itself to me.

But for the record, yeah, it's pretty exciting that Wizards is thinking outside the box on setting support. I would not object to Unearthed Arcana filling this role, for instance. I'm not above printing PDFs and putting them in binders.

Mmm, binders.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Oh, no, this is absolutely true. PotA is supremely modular. But that's actually my problem. I'm smart enough to port anything to my homebrew world, should I choose to do so -- what I wanted was for the book to tell me more about interesting parts of the Realms where the adventure takes place, or more about the threat of Elemental Evil to D&D as a whole, or both, and I don't feel like it effectively does either.

The adventure is set in back country inland from the Sword Coast, and yes, it's back country that could just as easily fit into a homebrew world, Krynn, or Oerth. But who cares? It's back country, of course it is generic. It's /great/ for a homebrew game, but it tells me nothing of value about Toril.

Similarly, the villains of the adventure are cut from whole cloth. They've never appeared before. That's a good thing, but the problem is that they are citizens of Faerun in support of a threat that is entirely new to Faerun, so their backstory comes off as ungrounded. And that's a bad thing.

I'm not learning anything /new/ about Elemental Evil because the portions of the adventure devoted to the threat spend all their time developing new ties for Elemental Evil to exploit in Faerun. This does not interest me, because these ties were unnecessary to begin with. Faerun has plenty of well-grounded threats of its own; it didn't need another one.

I think this is worth noting, and part of why I don't like it when adventures try to be "generic." Be specific! Embrace your specificity! Make it a selling point - something that can only happen there! If it's an adventure that could just be dropped into the hinterlands of any random campaign world, it kind of has to be ungrounded and sudden and....it's like in a sitcom, where everything is the same at the end of the episode, or in a comic book series when they "kill off" a popular hero (only to have them cloned or rise again or rebooted or whatever). There's no arc, there's no meaning, there's no change....I dunno, just a personal peeve of mine. Makes everything feel stale and meaningless.

If I'm buying a sourcebook it's because I want to learn more about its setting, but my interest in 10,000-foot-view geopolitical information is limited. It is useful to a point, but I learned a long time ago that campaign setting books are not really smart buys for me, because they don't tell me a whole lot about what's going on on the ground, which is what I really want.

This AP strategy could be a great way for dungeon masters looking for modules and dungeon masters looking for campaign settings to meet in the middle, but in order for that to happen the format has to change and we need to see more granular setting-specific content, not setting content that is so bland it could fit anywhere. The latter option only serves the module-seeking dungeon masters. Sure, it's Toril, and sure, it's detailed, but it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'd agree with a lot of that.

Remove ads

Remove ads